Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2G/3G modem only, MCU2 inevitable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 P85D, MCU1, I think my car was born in March 2015 so I missed the 4G modem. I also searched and read various threads on this subject.

What's odd is that my map does populate as I'm driving to work and in town while the signal bars have a slash across the icon (dead signal). If I drive further out into the boondocks then the map becomes blank. It must have downloaded maps while on wifi? Also, the maps populated when I drove to the nearest SC 2.5hrs away. Odd...

1. My car has no cell service, right? So as soon as I'm out of range of wifi, the tesla app is useless and anything else reliant on cell service?

2. Looks like I can upgrade my modem in service but might as well upgrade to MCU2 since MCU2 comes with 4G?

In my short time of ownership, I barely use the MCU as I'm the type to set-it-and-leave-it. I like to drive so even AP is gimmicky to me. Also, the responsiveness of MCU1 doesn't bother me at all. I'm able to do what I need to do with no annoyance.

Are there any serious drawbacks to no cell signal and MCU1 that warrants the $2k upgrade. $2k is no issue for me however $2k spent on something that adds no value to your life is $2k wasted, in my opinion.

I do hate not being able to precondition my car when I leave work however I could set my departure time when I'm done with work and manually precondition in the morning at home prior to going to work. Although, driving on a non-preconditioned battery is not a deal breaker.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. I would greatly appreciate it!

AT&T shut down 3G service in February 2022. So yes, if your MCU1 does not have the LTE modem, you'll not get any cell service.

Tesla used to offer a $500 cellular modem upgrade for MCU1 owners. I bought that for my 2013 S years ago. The price might even be lower now. So that would be the lowest cost solution. That said, MCU1 is ancient technology (relating to PCs), designed 12-14 years ago.

I'd strongly consider jumping to MCU2 (I did this later on). Not only do you get an updated processor and related new hardware, it includes a new main display and an entirely new Instrument Cluster and display. The original displays have a tendency to fail over time with a leaking problem. Look to see if either display has "bubbles" a sign the display has begun to fail. Then it is far cheaper to do the MCU2 upgrade. Be aware you will lose analog AM/FM/XM with the upgrade and there is a $500 option to add back digital FM/XM.

Last I heard they had dropped to cost to ~$200 to upgrade the cellular modem to support LTE.

Yep, I heard it was a cheap fix however the closest SC to me is 2.5 hours away so if I'm gonna make the trip and waste my time to go there then might as well pay the $2k+ for the MCU2. Plus my car will probably end up there for a few days is my bet so that's more time lost.

Can mobile service do this? Anyone can confirm?

My time is what I'm trying to save in the grand scheme of things.

Yep, I heard it was a cheap fix however the closest SC to me is 2.5 hours away so if I'm gonna make the trip and waste my time to go there then might as well pay the $2k+ for the MCU2.
Do they offer mobile service for you? The LTE retrofit is something that they could do via mobile easily. (A lot of people have bought the board and done it themselves.)

Thank you everyone, the cellphone hotspot method works great for what I need it for.

Also, turns out the car has an entire map of the USA and will be able to navigate to anywhere that is already in that map, or wherever else when my car is connected via wifi (so navigate while on wifi first if the built-in map can't find it or seems like the map will navigate as close to your destination as it can). It's when zooming in on the map that things start to disappear however if I zoom out far enough, the map works without issue alongside the gps regardless of cell signal.

I'm gonna hold out for now. I've only been an EV owner going on 6 weeks and I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm gonna keep my P85D. For now, it's a fun toy and will remain as such. I will upgrade to MCU2 if I decide to keep it long-term.