Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your actually tapping to the can network.
The gateway cannot see the flash so Tesla has no clue.

I for one am absolutely sure that there's a chunk of code built into the SW of the Tesla(all teslas) to communicate the current state/checksum of the flash.

I'm also sure that there's a bit of memory/disk at Tesla HQ that says "This is the last known state/checksum of JPELKA's flash"....

When a sw update is being sent out, I bet that it goes roughly like this...."JPELKA's car... here's an update... download it and let me know your current flash content(or checksum)." If the checksum doesn't match what the mothership expects, JPELKA has some explaining to do, and your car will be excommunicated(and the SW that was being downloaded won't be allowed to install) until that explanation. Sometimes its innocent, a SW or HW malfunction perhaps, and your ban will be lifted.

You'll get away with that once or maybe twice(obviously, hw failures would be forgiven completely), after that, you're not gonna get any software updates, and will probably have difficulty getting warranty service.

I guess if it really is all controlled over CAN this might be interesting. It would just be a man-in-the-middle intercept of request_motor_torque_front / rear or whatever. Similar to MPP's party box overriding traction/stability control. I wouldn't have thought Tesla would control motor power like that, but what do I know. If true it seems like Tesla could either change the method of motor control or work on encrypting CAN.

I guess if it really is all controlled over CAN this might be interesting. It would just be a man-in-the-middle intercept of request_motor_torque_front / rear or whatever. Similar to MPP's party box overriding traction/stability control. I wouldn't have thought Tesla would control motor power like that, but what do I know. If true it seems like Tesla could either change the method of motor control or work on encrypting CAN.
I have confirmation from several inside sources it is controlled via CAN network. And your exactly right about about the box the other guy has that overrides trac etc. All CAN controlled not thru the gateway.

Reactions: bedoig
Tesla will not let this fly. Even if this data isn't making its way back to the mothership today, Tesla will push an update in the future. Without extreme measures (pulling the SIM, disable wifi, never receiving updates again, etc), it will not be possible to hide this from Tesla. This is essentially altering the HV system so the warranty will be void. If they want to be an ass, they could disable DC charging too.

Yea a WHOLE lot safer to settle for 3.7 now and KNOW it will last for the life of car (and maybe improve) and is 100% covered.

3.5 if you measure it same way they measure the P 0-60

Tesla will not let this fly. Even if this data isn't making its way back to the mothership today, Tesla will push an update in the future. Without extreme measures (pulling the SIM, disable wifi, never receiving updates again, etc), it will not be possible to hide this from Tesla. This is essentially altering the HV system so the warranty will be void. If they want to be an ass, they could disable DC charging too.

Yup.

Even if it's not something they log TODAY, they can easily add code to log it and nail you.

MPP is at least honest about this fact (see below)

Mountain Pass Performance (party box) makes essentially the same thing/disable trac and stability controls.
Taps the CAN settings. Does Tesla know?

MPP mentioned in another thread anybody who buys one is assuming the risk that Tesla disables it in any future SW update...so they know that's possible.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Mountain Pass Performance (party box) makes essentially the same thing/disable trac and stability controls.
Taps the CAN settings. Does Tesla know?

That's more difficult to detect and won't be nearly as popular as an AWD to Performance mod. That also doesn't cut into their profits directly.

The power output to the motors circulates on the CAN, even if they can intercept and alter the message back to the control unit, the acceleration data/g force would still be available for them to analyze.

Reactions: Big Earl
so many people read this and think - wow, tesla shouldn't have this much control of my car.
Of course they conveniently forget that a Tesla is a car that gets much of its features from the Tesla mothership and the car software controls billing, safety, charging and any number of other things that absolutely shouldn't be messed with.
It isn't a case of disabling the car - it is merely a case of Tesla disconnecting it from their mothership. Why should they continue to provide service to a cracked car.
Its exactly the same as getting the Netflix app and hacking it to give you free service, then complaining when Netflix terminate your account.
If you still want the connected car experience, then don't mess with the software in the car like that.

I got a software flash done when I had my GTI. Made it ridiculously faster. Ultimately, I turned the flash off because I was worried it'd fry some of the factory parts that then wouldn't be covered under warranty. Even once you're out of warranty - if it ruins a factory part, do you really want to fork out for that? More power to racers etc. who want to tweak the performance and test the limits. But it's not a great option for most drivers.

I got a software flash done when I had my GTI. Made it ridiculously faster. Ultimately, I turned the flash off because I was worried it'd fry some of the factory parts that then wouldn't be covered under warranty. Even once you're out of warranty - if it ruins a factory part, do you really want to fork out for that? More power to racers etc. who want to tweak the performance and test the limits. But it's not a great option for most drivers.
Well all the performance model is a software unlocked LR AWD model 3 which we all know. All your paying for is the software unlock anyway. This has been confirmed. Hense the stealth model 3 for $2000 more when they were avail. Simply a unlocked awd.

Well all the performance model is a software unlocked LR AWD model 3 which we all know. All your paying for is the software unlock anyway. This has been confirmed. Hense the stealth model 3 for $2000 more when they were avail. Simply a unlocked awd.

Sure.

But these guys are not giving you a real AWD->P3D- unlock.

They're gaming the system man in the middle style to increase power output to be similar.

That may, or may not, be the same thing.

Especially if they're gaming things back the other way too so the car isn't getting accurate sensor feedback on what it's actually doing.

Reactions: Big Earl
Wow, this is screaming shady. I am alllll about unlocking stuff that manufacturers have arbitrarily locked up that I have purchased and is mine to do with what I want (iPhone example)...Except with the mothership constantly looking in on the car I cant see how this will last more than a very short period of time. If they are exploiting a CAN function and making the motor just run harder and faster with an input I can see the mothership encrypting CAN functions in the next update. I would be sort of ok with the $2k if it came with a specified use time contract. Like this will work for XX amount of time or your money back. I can see many people buying it and it works for a month and Tesla disables it or goes full vindictive and bricks the cars that they found with it from updates and Supercharging. That would be soooo bad.

But I like to see people doing workarounds on their own property. This just might not be the one. Unsure.

I totally agree with everyone that this is a bad Idea on a car still under warranty. If you do this and suffer a powertrain failure Tesla will defiantly say the mod is at fault and deny the warranty claim and no one could fault them for it.

But Rich Rebuilds / Electrified Garage, does a lot of work on salvage cars. Cars that already have no warranty and no supercharging.

If I had a car like that, this mod is a lot more attractive.