Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once these cars are old enough to be out of warranty, it'll be a tuners' paradise free-for-all. Hack the acceleration up, hack the supercharging back into working, hack into receiving software updates (maybe), etc.

I know folks say this- but this doesn't appear to have happened widely for the (now approaching 8 year old) Model S cars out there.

There's some one-off situations of people working with Jason Hughes and the like to pirate-renable charging or swap to a P100D- but there's nothing remotely easy or plug and play commonly available.

And those are much simpler, less locked down, cars than the 3.

It will be interesting to see how that goes since Tesla has threatened legal action against anyone doing that. and I suspect they would go not only after the owner but after the shop/hacker that did it.

They would have absolutely no choice but to go after anyone who does this.

Simply because you're monkeying with the command structure between the input sensors (i.e. pedals) and wheels. The same ones that their Autopilot and FSD controls drive.

In the event of a deadly crash, the headline would read "Tesla does 170mph, kills pedestrians" and not "Shade-tree modified vehicle does 170mph, unintended bug in reverse engineered halfwit device kills pedestrians"

That likelihood is more than enough for the lawyers to pounce.

Reactions: NOLADriver
According to them can be fully reverted back to stock. Sounds like what most software update companies are doing where you can just reflash back to stock when taking in for service.

Not if Tesla tracks your VIN number. Once you're blackballed as someone with a hacked non-Tesla operating system you are out of their Network. Technically they might even be able to legally justify disabling your vehicle at some future time although that would be pretty harsh. Any case, unless the reflash includes a fake VIN number which has its own set of special issues, this is a very dangerous "upgrade" path

I just checked and also noticed they removed it from their page. Interesting...I wonder what went down.

From what I have seen EG has a decent relationship with Tesla. (I seem to recall that Tesla came to their grand opening.) I imagine that they got a nice letter from Tesla that said if you do this you won't ever be buying parts from us again or getting any support of any kind.

• Informative
Reactions: dimachaerus
I wish Tesla would have reached out and said "no need to do this, EG. We will release this unlock ourselves". One can dream...

It is strange because it is in a sense low-hanging fruit. People who regretted not getting the performance version could get it for whatever they might have paid originally. There's no reason to soak them but there's also no reason to give it away either. It's part of the scotoma that Tesla seems to demonstrate around a host of issues. At the top of the list is the failure to provide incentives to folks with electric vehicles to buy their solar systems. I do not understand that at all. Just good Common Sense from a business standpoint that you would want to incentivize brand loyalty and deepening investment in a range of Tesla products. The fact that you cannot get a discount on either a solar system if you have a car or a car if you have a solar system strikes me as just bizarre.

If Tesla decides to just Boost the Boost upgrade clearly there would be no need for this.
It can easily be done as thats all the stealth performance was anyway. Was $2000 more and you got 3.1.

I think EG is opening the wrong can of worms with this one.

Please Tesla make the boost upgrade worth the $2000 price of admission and this would be a non issue.

Reactions: mrau and K1Woods
If I didn’t have a Performance model already I would be tempted to do this. But I have to agree with everyone...this is a bad idea that’s not worth the risk. You can’t play with fire and expect not to get burned.

I wonder if EG tested this on LR AWDs that had the 990 variant. Also, even if the 990 motor isn't as capable, it does have some capability since in Wugz testing the rear motor was dialed back a bit. Also, we all know the front motor still has more potential beyond the current accel boost based on the power numbers.

Its the same price.

You must have never needed to take your car into the service center.

Of course Tesla will find out what you did. when you do. That's a no-brainer.

Lastly....there is about to be a total software rewrite update coming. Good luck keeping your $2k Performance software. Will you have to send your car back to them AGAIN?

Tuners have been working around OEM software and hardware obstacles for years to make cars faster, better handling, etc... Many continue to beat the ability of OEMs to detect any modifications. Tesla is sophisticated, but they are not all powerful and omniscient.

As a general comment to everyone else in this thread, people have been modifying vehicles for over 100 years. Hot rodding is nothing new. There's a reason why SEMA represents an industry worth almost $45 billion.

Tuners have been working around OEM software and hardware obstacles for years to make cars faster, better handling, etc... Many continue to beat the ability of OEMs to detect any modifications. Tesla is sophisticated, but they are not all powerful and omniscient.

As a general comment to everyone else in this thread, people have been modifying vehicles for over 100 years. Hot rodding is nothing new. There's a reason why SEMA represents an industry worth almost $45 billion.

None of which have automation like a Tesla does. None of which are under the microscope like Tesla is. None of which are constantly fighting their raison d'etre being regulated out of existence.

That's why I expect Tesla to be somewhat heavy-handed with the legal beagles.

I don't have to love it, but I understand protecting their position. The automation we're all craving only exists at the whim of Those In Charge of Writing Ridiculous Regulations, and if someone plays the "Won't someone think of the children?!?" card during an election year, they can grind that right to a halt.

So as much as we love for Tesla to be the rebels, they kinda need to play nicey-nice too with the regulators in control of their fate.

Reactions: Salted
If this were any other brand I’d be all over something like this. With Tesla, imo this is absolutely guaranteed to be found. In the very best case lets say Tesla simply flashes your car back to normal and then blocks this. You’re still out $2k and your car now feels slow since you’re now accustomed to driving a P.
Realistically you’re in for a lot more pain than that.

This only makes sense if you have a salvage vehicle or you’re otherwise out of warranty.

Reactions: dfwatt
If this were any other brand I’d be all over something like this. With Tesla, imo this is absolutely guaranteed to be found. In the very best case lets say Tesla simply flashes your car back to normal and then blocks this. You’re still out $2k and your car now feels slow since you’re now accustomed to driving a P.
Realistically you’re in for a lot more pain than that.

This only makes sense if you have a salvage vehicle or you’re otherwise out of warranty.
Prob is its not a flash.
Its a tap into the can system.
Watch their youtube video on changing a 75d to a P100D.