Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lying about the pedal input doesn’t change the performance of the car though.

nor did your post I was replying to.

You said what's to stop someone from turning a small amount of accel into a large amount.

Nothing. You can buy stuff today for "regular" cars that explicitly do that on purpose (because it fools you into "feeling" your car is faster, even though it's objectively not- and it'd be very simple to modify one to create a MUCH larger input to output increase than the off the shelf ones if you wishe)

But nobody breaks into someone elses car to install one in hopes of causing an accident though.

And if you DID wanna cause someone an accident there's much easier ways that don't require physically getting inside the vehicle or buying expensive electronic aids.

Keep in mind this is not a Tesla thing but a software licensing thing. Almost all manufactures of all types of products from passenger jets to TV's the software is owned by the company. It is just that Tesla is almost completely controlled by software. As other cars move to more software controls and become EV the same licensing limitations will apply.

Farmers can’t legally fix their own John Deere tractors due to copyright laws

The more these arrangements are pushed, the more people will push back. eventually the law will be changed

Usually NOT in favor of the consumer, if history is any guide.

See also Disneys repeated buying of copyright extensions.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is an example of laws being changed to protect the consumer. I am still an idealist that believes the will of the people wins out over the long term. of course the 'people' don't have much will in most matters.

I wouldn't be surprised in man-in-the-middle stuff like this end up making Tesla encrypt the CAN network.

I'm surprised they don't do that already.

In addition to encryption, each device can also be upgraded to digitally sign each CAN packet, and the receiver can verify the digital signature. Injecting packets onto the bus then becomes impossible, as you won't have the signing key.

Without revealing too much info, I have first-hand knowledge of a hackable system that was heavily exploited by hackers in the early 2000's. Encryption, digital signatures, ROM checksums, and dynamically-changing executable code was used by the designers of the system to make the hacking impossible. By 2004, this system was no longer hackable, and remains secure to this day. Tesla can easily duplicate these efforts if they desire.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is an example of laws being changed to protect the consumer

The law was passed in 1975.

That's 45 years ago.

The record since then has...not been great.

Th
. I am still an idealist that believes the will of the people wins out over the long term. of course the 'people' don't have much will in most matters.

I appreciate your optimism. Meanwhile- studies suggest that congress essentially ignores what the bottom 90% of Americans (by income/worth) want

Study: Politicians listen to rich people, not you

Reactions: RobRain
The law was passed in 1975.

That's 45 years ago.

The record since then has...not been great.

I appreciate your optimism. Meanwhile- studies suggest that congress essentially ignores what the bottom 90% of Americans (by income/worth) want

Study: Politicians listen to rich people, not you

For everyones benefit I won't dive into politics. But this an international forum and never every country faces the same political circumstance

I'm surprised they don't do that already.

In addition to encryption, each device can also be upgraded to digitally sign each CAN packet, and the receiver can verify the digital signature. Injecting packets onto the bus then becomes impossible, as you won't have the signing key.

Without revealing too much info, I have first-hand knowledge of a hackable system that was heavily exploited by hackers in the early 2000's. Encryption, digital signatures, ROM checksums, and dynamically-changing executable code was used by the designers of the system to make the hacking impossible. By 2004, this system was no longer hackable, and remains secure to this day. Tesla can easily duplicate these efforts if they desire.
@SomeJoe7777 Funny, on the Tesla jobs board a little while back I saw them hiring for a tech guy with crypto management experience.

Also, PGP was unhackable despite the Govt. prosecution and multiple three letter agencies trying their best. Now with Zimmerman gone we know that is out the window. Time always change. The tech is solid, the politics isnt.

Interesting how? First, it isn't the same level of overclocking. And second, Tesla has surely allocated a portion of the "boost" upgrade charge to the additional warranty claims that will be the result of the upgrade.

Will the EG warranty your battery/drive-unit as part of their performance unlock?

The Performance versions (at least the early ones) have the exact same powertrain as the standard dual motor versions. Both have the same warranty. Now, if there is a sunk warranty cost on the Performance versions due to accelerated wear (not even talking about the Tesla $2000 boost on the non-Performance cars), that's a different claim. But, it seems like that would be a poor design decision, because why use the exact same hardware then and put yourself in that boat, especially with the battery being such a high cost wear item.

lying about the pedal input doesn’t change the performance of the car though.

Yes it does, particularly when you consider transmission kick-down and rev holding. If you're only talking about full performance envelope of a stock vehicle with a pedal input go between for drive-by-wire systems, then sure. But, by your logic, supercharging, turbocharging, or adding power via simple tune would be considered a security flaw. Something which has been going on for a very long time... long before Tesla as a company was even a thought in someone's mind.

The Performance versions (at least the early ones) have the exact same powertrain as the standard dual motor versions.

Actually it is the other way around. The early AWD Model 3s had the same motors as the Performance Model 3. That is no longer the case, and any option Tesla makes available would have to apply to all AWD Model 3s, not just the early ones.

Reactions: MagnusMako