Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2k reservation good/bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, but inputting a different name as the registered owner is different than moving a reservation to someone else's account. Tesla has always said that reservations can't be transferred to anyone but family, but they've never said you can't input someone else's name as the registered owner. Ya, maybe I'm taking the two examples incredibly literally but that's the truth of the situation. Those are two different scenarios.

Seen this agreement too and my point was not the contract for purchase. It was the reservation agreement.

Adding a name to reservation is likely all that is required. Having completely different names, replacing the original reserver, with no check being currently in place enables abuse.

Btw The NDA and the restriction from resale are not in the agreement now too, apparently ;)

Correct, but inputting a different name as the registered owner is different than moving a reservation to someone else's account. Tesla has always said that reservations can't be transferred to anyone but family, but they've never said you can't input someone else's name as the registered owner. Ya, maybe I'm taking the two examples incredibly literally but that's the truth of the situation. Those are two different scenarios.
Perhaps too literal, though let me try... ;)

Changing the name of the person who reserved means the reservation should no longer be valid and not be allowed to continue, ie the reservation has been transferred. Exceptions should be able to occur as necessary, though should be just that: an exception, not a rationale.

Adding a name to an existing reservation, whilst maintaining the original reservation holder is a good compromise already for representing SOs, family, etc.

The way it is today enables abuse, that doesn’t make it right even if you can debate otherwise :)

I personally wouldn't buy a reservation unless it was configurable.

That’s exactly what I did. I sat with him using his account and configured the car. I paid him and we signed our personal contract with each other the moment I hit enter on the configuration. You are correct there is absolutely no point in buying a reservation number that is not configurable at the moment as there is no guarantee when it will become configurable.

Reactions: FE9000