Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2K upgrade for MY ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard to say. To hit the performance the MY hits right now with the same drivetrain as the M3 LR AWD but with the additional weight, the MY HAS to be making more power. So...I wonder if that performance upgrade for the M3 was simply getting it to same or similar output to what the MY LR AWD has.

I test drove the AWD M3 and P100D MX to decide. Both hit hard enough to make me feel sick and upset most any passenger. I went with the AWD. For the typical driver, it is a choice between the fastest, most responsive car you've ever driven and one that is even faster.

In my younger days I built a very fast 1st gen Camaro. It would burn both tires shifting at 60 MPH and would slam you into the seat when you hit it. The AWD M3 is faster than my Camaro was.

Reactions: AdVanced
I think it really all depends. A few reviews show the M3 hitting off the line harder, but the Y holds the power longer. Could be the reason to hold the M3 in the sales over the Y. You are getting the "Sport" aspect of a car over the CUV. Elon might never come out with the 2k Boost for the Y because then it might throw it even further over the M3 now. Time will tell though I guess.

Personally, if you don't plan on going to a track or feel the excessive need for speed, the LR AWD is just fine. I originally thought I would be dissapointed with it being the slowest in the lineup but oh boy was I wrong. It still feels like a sports car and if your not coming from one, it will feel incredibly fast. Although, I gotta admit i'll probably get the 2K upgrade because it's more affordable. They probably wouldn't release it for at least 6 months. I'm under the impression that the motors/drive train between the performance and LR AWD are the same.

I test drove the AWD M3 and P100D MX to decide. Both hit hard enough to make me feel sick and upset most any passenger. I went with the AWD. For the typical driver, it is a choice between the fastest, most responsive car you've ever driven and one that is even faster.

In my younger days I built a very fast 1st gen Camaro. It would burn both tires shifting at 60 MPH and would slam you into the seat when you hit it. The AWD M3 is faster than my Camaro was.
Agree with this sentiment. 4.8s to 60 is going to be dramatically quicker than my current ride.