Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd and 3rd Row Seating Space in Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the 2nd and 3rd row seat space of the Model X compares with the Model S? I like how much room the backseat passengers have in the S but all the pictures and videos of the Model X looks like there is less space. I personally don't feel very comfortable having to place my feet under the seat in front of me in order to sit in a car seat and I know many 3rd row seats are like this. I'm hoping the Model X will have sufficient room but I'm wondering if anyone has sat in the prototype and if so, how much room was in the backseats and also in the 3rd row seats?

I don't know anything for certain, and I don't think anyone outside of Tesla does or will until the reveal.

Having said that, we believe that the X will be the same length as the S, but taller. That should mean more betrayal seating positions and substantially more room to sit in the same length.

Adding a full third row, however, means sharing some of that space.

You might try looking at the interiors of some of the presumptive competitors that have similar dimensions Audi Q7, BMW x5/x6, etc.
Walter

A number of us rode in the Model X at the reveal event in Feb 2012. Many sat in the third row & weighed in on this thread regarding room.
Realistic 3rd row seating for adults? .

(Short version: People were pleasantly surprised at the amount of room in the third row.)

-----

Update:
To the best of my knowledge, people have not been allowed in the X since that 2012 event. (The video in the first post was shot then.) Seating could be vastly different today. No idea if that means improved or decreased - but people were happy about the third row at the reveal.

Last edited:
I really hope that the Model X has a much utility (or more) vs a minivan. I hope all the seats have decent room as well along with there being good cargo room behind the 3rd row. Most SUVs/crossovers (whatever we call them these days) have less than half the space back there vs. a minivan. For example I really like the new Volvo XC90 but it's only got 10cu ft of cargo room behind the 3rd row. That's only twice the size of a Model S frunk or 1/4 of the cargo room a Toyota Sienna has behind the 3rd row.

That's certainly very encouraging to hear! I'm guessing that Tesla knows that that 3rd row seating room is very important! So many other SUVs have that issue and it's not fun or comfortable to sit back there! Thanks for sharing this info.

A number of us rode in the Model X at the reveal event in Feb 2012. Many sat in the third row & weighed in on this thread regarding room.
Realistic 3rd row seating for adults? .

(Short version: People were pleasantly surprised at the amount of room in the third row.)

-----

Update:
To the best of my knowledge, people have not been allowed in the X since that 2012 event. (The video in the first post was shot then.) Seating could be vastly different today. No idea if that means improved or decreased - but people were happy about the third row at the reveal.

I am very interested in the spaces available between the second and third row seats. I am planning on ordering my model X without the third row seat, I probably will never need it. I would be interested in having an option where the second row seat is styled like the newly available rear executive seat in the model S. If this seat could be made to push very far back, (I am speaking specifically about a model X without the third row seat installed.), then it would have a "limousine like" look and feel to the backseat.

I am very interested in the spaces available between the second and third row seats. I am planning on ordering my model X without the third row seat, I probably will never need it. I would be interested in having an option where the second row seat is styled like the newly available rear executive seat in the model S. If this seat could be made to push very far back, (I am speaking specifically about a model X without the third row seat installed.), then it would have a "limousine like" look and feel to the backseat.

I'm planning to do that also. It would make for a very pleasant passenger experience.

I envision the day (2018 perhaps) when both front seats can be swiveled to enjoy the additional space while in autopilot. It would become a nice mini RV for those long trips.

Here here. I would also like this. Either no middle seat or no back seat. I'm sick of being in cramped cars.

On top of that it would be a great limousine concept. We could see a new breed of taxis which charged more and give a huge production boost to tesla.

I'm planning to do that also. It would make for a very pleasant passenger experience.

I envision the day (2018 perhaps) when both front seats can be swiveled to enjoy the additional space while in autopilot. It would become a nice mini RV for those long trips.

Here here. I would also like this. Either no middle seat or no back seat. I'm sick of being in cramped cars.

On top of that it would be a great limousine concept. We could see a new breed of taxis which charged more and give a huge production boost to tesla.

I'd love that, too. I really don't care at all about the 3rd row. The only way I'd get it is IF the 2nd row was configurable so that it could slide back right up against the third row and be really open in the 2nd row.

Third row? I'm not running a taxi service :) and my kid is grown and has his own SUV.

Do not want third row and would prefer lots of room between the front and back seats. Problem with the Model S is if you have 2 people in the back seat you need to put the front seats forward and the I have squished legs.
I regularly have 2-3 adults in the rear seat in my S and everyone front and rear has plenty of room (I am driving and I am 6' 2"). However I don't seat plus six footers back there.

Gold standard for 3rd row is the Honda Odyssey. It's surprisingly comfortable, accommodates 3 average (at least in our family) adults, and folds flat when not in use. It's definitely not a "bucket seat". Given that the Model X is actually about 2 inches wider than the Odyssey, yet only has 2 seats in the 3rd row, those seats really need to be functional for Elon to claim that the car is "better" than a minivan.