TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2nd Charge Port Replacement...

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by SabrToothSqrl, Aug 3, 2015.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

So... I have to go BACK the 70 miles (one way) to the service center for what will be my second charge port... so, that's the 3rd counting the original.

Any chance of talking them into swapping it w/the auto close one? I'd kick in the $ difference in the parts...

Anyone tried this?

My last one, all the lights died.

This one, 1/2 the lights died, and when I'm driving along, the dash will randomly say the charge port is open! and sometimes it won't open!

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Unfortunately the newer, auto-closing charge port likely requires a different wiring harness.

3. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

I thought Artsci had posted somewhere about the charge point being retrofitted on an earlier model

4. SabrToothSqrl

I thought so as well, and that all you had to do was plug it in, the car recognized the new option and it worked..?

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I recall this as well.

6. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I recall that as well.
    May as well ask them, and see what they say. I'ld be interested to know the price difference.

7. SabrToothSqrl

Anyone know how to find that thread? the search function reminds me of Bing... as in, you can't find anything.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

9. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Even if it's technically possible, Tesla probably won't let you pay the difference on top of a warranty replacement. This would encourage fraud. If someone wants an upgraded part for cheap, they would just need to break the old part in a way that would trigger a warranty replacement. You are obviously not trying to scam anybody, but there are some people who would.

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

This. My mirrors were replaced under warranty and I couldn't just pay the difference to get the power folding retrofit b/c of this very reason. That said, there could come a time that Tesla stops stocking the non-auto close charge ports and they have to use the newer style on your car. For instance, my pano got newer style (not the newest though) rails and windscreen when it was serviced b/c the version on my car originally just isn't available anymore. My motor mount also was just changed with a drive unit swap b/c the newer drive units mount slightly differently than my original one.

11. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I just had mine replaced, and was told by several different service tech from different SCs that it was not possible to retrofit the auto-closing door on the earlier VIN cars (at least not on my early VIN ~2500).

12. SabrToothSqrl

Yea, no scam here, but I can understand how that would work...

In all honesty, I just want what I bought to work... driving 1.5 hours each way, to spend 3 hours at a service center isn't my idea of a good time.

I never thought about it, and don't know why I always forget to close the stupid little door flapper... I close it soon as the dash yells at me, but I'm like... why? I don't forget to close gas ones.

OMG, I had to fill up our other car... I actually forgot what a hassle that is! Had to run the credit card, had to enter my zip code, ugh.

13. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Would be nice if Tesla would publish their service manuals and let us purchase parts. Replacing a charge port doesn't seem all that daunting to me. Isolate HV, open up the paneling in the back, remove the mounts/connections, reattach. Guess this would only appeal to those of us out of warranty.

14. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Which will be a lot of us soon. 50,000 miles is about 2 years of driving for quite a few folk. In fairness, most will probably pony up the next $4K for an additional 2-3 years.

However, some would much prefer to roll the dice. We shouldn't have to live in Massachusetts to have service manual access. Although I doubt that arrangement includes shop manuals and technical bulletins, anyway. Parts access would be good.

Will be interesting to see how Tesla chooses to handle this. Spending $4K for 2 years of protection for a (at that point) $40K car is not as cut and dried as it appears. More to the point, 4-5 years goes by fast.

I'm happy to own a car with 75% fewer moving parts. It's the non-moving parts that are of more concern, however.

Oh, and I'm on my second charge port assembly in about 6 months, and the door's getting flaky with this new one now too. If an auto-closing variant is less prone to failure, one would think they'd proactively replace with that if/when there's a 2nd failure in less than a year. That fraud excuse is a canard.

15. SabrToothSqrl

I've always thought it would be cheaper to produce one of a thing, even if it costs slightly more, than two of a thing... so... eventually they'd just 'run out' of the manual closing ones... I can't imagine they are still making them?

16. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Your third charge port? How are you charging, including at what amperage out of the maximum amperage possible?

Also, do you think you might have line issues which could be blowing out the lights on the port? If so, you might need a voltage/current/surge regulator and protector.

17. SabrToothSqrl

From a NEMA 14-50 at 40 amps.

I don't believe I have any line issues... everything else in the house from the TVs to the computers, to the fridge work just fine...

18. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

There's no way AC input is blowing the LEDs in the port. Those run off low voltage which is derived from the 12V system. There is no direct connection between the two.

19. Electric700

Electric700 Member

In that case, may be there's a problem in the 12 V system which is causing an over-voltage supply condition to the LEDs?