Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd day of ownership: First issue. "Driver Assistance Functions Not Working"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a couple of co-workers to lunch today, to show of the new ride of course, and upon starting the car I noticed a warning saying that the driver assistance features were not working. I didn't have autopilot, cruise control, lane lines, speed limit signs, etc. The message said to call service.

I decided not to worry about it and upon leaving the restaurant the car operated fine.

Then on my way home from the office I got the same error. I called service and the tech on the phone had me stop in a parking lot and reset the "cpu"? (pressing both scroll wheels at the same time for 10 seconds) This didn't work so he said he would download some logs and call me back. A few hours later I got a call back and was asked to do a "power down" of the car. When I did this the driver controls came back. I've gone on 3 more rides since and all is well.

My question - has anyone else had this happen? Should I be worried this is a concern moving forward? Any idea what the "fix" did? Thanks in advance! I am making my first short roadtrip tomorrow and I hope I have autopilot!

This has happened to a few others, so it might happen again to you. If it does, make note of the time and then try the power down again to see if functionality comes back. You could have a bad camera.

As explained to me by a Tesla tech, this message usually indicates that when coming back from sleeping the main processor failed to see some signal it was expecting on the CAN bus. Resetting the CPU with the scroll wheels will not clear this fault. Letting the car go back to sleep by stepping out for a few minutes always clears it in my experience (6-8 times during the past 9 months).

Thank you for the responses. A bit more info: After I rebooted/reset lat night it worked fine last night and then this morning for a drive to Tucson and back. I left my office at around 2:45pm and had the issue again but then not again after my meeting or later tonight.

I think you might be on to something with the sun. It seems the issue has only been between Noon-4pm, so far.

Service is going to take a look at it next week. Hopefully an easy fix that is permanent.

Select the Controls Tab, then E-Brake & Power Off

One additional step has been successful for me. Wiping the glass in the camera area. When the glass is dirty and I've parked facing into direct sunlight it appears to me that the initial startup gets a bad reading from the camera.

This sounds like a good observation.

Yep, cleaning the windshield at the top middle where the camera is can make a difference, but this is usually best done when the alert mentions that this is the necessary solution.

Thank you for the responses. A bit more info: After I rebooted/reset lat night it worked fine last night and then this morning for a drive to Tucson and back. I left my office at around 2:45pm and had the issue again but then not again after my meeting or later tonight.

I think you might be on to something with the sun. It seems the issue has only been between Noon-4pm, so far.

Service is going to take a look at it next week. Hopefully an easy fix that is permanent.
Good to hear and yes, low sun can impede the cameras ability to see (just like a humans eye is affected) although this seems a bit more problematic.

I'm having the same issue and its related to the car being cold. If I leave my car outside overnight the next morning autopilot errors out and will not work. In order to clear the alarm I have to let the car warm up for at least 10 minutes and then turn off the car and walk away for a couple of minutes. Reboots do not help clear it.

I have replicated the issue time and time again trying reboots and making sure the windshield and sensors are clear. The only constant is the car being cold and left outside.

I have it going into the dealer Saturday to fix.

Video is the car with the error 1 min into my morning drive.

https://vimeo.com/147865953

Video 10-15 min later after the car was allowed to warm up and left to sleep. Sensors were clear before starting the drive.
https://vimeo.com/147866247

I have been able to consistently replicate this on 3 of 3 attempts

I've had this too... it's very common.

Steps: reboot (as indicated in this thread). Wash the window in the camera area. Also check the front radar to see if it's obstructed (ice collects there commonly, but mud can be a problem as well). If this doesn't work, ask Tesla to look at logs. Some owners have reported camera failure and have to go have it replaced.