Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd day of ownership: First issue. "Driver Assistance Functions Not Working"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to me once, 6 days ago.

I've had this too... it's very common.

Steps: reboot (as indicated in this thread). Wash the window in the camera area. Also check the front radar to see if it's obstructed (ice collects there commonly, but mud can be a problem as well). If this doesn't work, ask Tesla to look at logs. Some owners have reported camera failure and have to go have it replaced.

I have driven 5k miles since AP, and this never happened. But last Saturday, after driving 16mi with AP, parking my still clean car/windshield for 10 min with camera and front radar facing away from sun, I started up and saw this message for the first time. Rebooting didn't help, so called Service. They said, known software bug, working on a fix. Can be caused by dirty windshield in front of camera or front radar, but often not, like in my case. So he said once it sits for awhile - 60 to 90min - try restarting, and almost always goes away. It did, hasn't returned yet. My guess is that, like other posters mentioned, the CAN bus delays a sensor read outside of its tolerance at startup, and it throws an error. My guess is the software fix is to increase the time for startup sensor detection a few hundred milliseconds before throwing the error.

Following up - Car went to the service center today and they "found alerts that camera not booting properly". They reset the module and tested. They also uploaded a new firmware update which is installing as I type. Hopefully this will correct the problem. I will keep everyone posted.

On another note - the P85 loaner they gave me seemed underwhelming compared to my 85D. Amazing the improvements in the car in the last 12-18 months. Compared to the P85 (which was fully loaded) the 85D has better seats, better sound, interior seems "more luxurious" and overall the feel of the car - where the steering wheel stalks are for example - are move improved in the 85D.

Update - issue still not corrected. Called service and they had me stay out of the car for an hour while they "Reset some things". That didn't fix the issue either. Now I have been told that "engineering at HQ" is looking into it. I will keep everyone posted.

When are you seeing the issue pop up?

All the time or only in the mornings?

My S85D had the same issue but it was due to cold weather. Whenever the car stayed outside overnight the issue was present. Service center had to replace the main camera. Have not seen the issue since.

One additional step has been successful for me. Wiping the glass in the camera area. When the glass is dirty and I've parked facing into direct sunlight it appears to me that the initial startup gets a bad reading from the camera.
Into my 3rd week of ownership and this happened to me today after leaving work. On my way there I accidentally activated my windshield wiper fluid rather than turn off TACC/Autopilot. I suppose the fluid could've dried near the camera and caused the issue? Once I reached my destination I proceeded to reboot the IC and MCU. The message still appeared (maybe didn't wait long enough) so I also powered the car off and got some food. So maybe half an hour later I get in the car and the error was gone.

When are you seeing the issue pop up?

All the time or only in the mornings?

My S85D had the same issue but it was due to cold weather. Whenever the car stayed outside overnight the issue was present. Service center had to replace the main camera. Have not seen the issue since.

I thought it was dependent on the sun as it never happened out of my garage in the morning but did when I left the office for lunch, etc. I decided to park in the shade and it still happened even when the sun wasn't shining on the car. I really cannot correlate a time of day with the issue - except it doesn't happen first thing in the morning.

How cold does it get outside where you are at?

Mine would only happen in cold weather when the car was left outside. In the garage the issue never showed up. I ended up working with the service manager and consistently replicated the issue. The service center finally listened and left my car outside in the morning and was able to replicate and track the issue down to a bad camera.

If you haven't done so, I would recommend that you schedule an appointment again to have them fix it. Make sure the service guys understand when it happens so they can replicate and if your not satisfied ask for the service manager. Tesla teams really care about keeping owners happy. So far for me they have really gone out of their way getting this issue fixed.