Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Gen 80A Wall Connector car charger cable wiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 80A Gen 2 wall connector and the wand broke. I purchased a new cable but the wiring is different. The original had a 4 thin wires in purple, blue, black and orange. The new has only 2 thin wires purple and yellow. Any ideas how I wire this?

Nobody at Tesla seems to have any idea and there is nothing online about these cable.

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

Is it possible that the replacement cable you bought is for a Gen3 wall charger? I believe the Gen2 was made with a J1772 plug in some specific (rare) places, maybe there were additional wires for that protocol. I know I have a dip switch inside to optionally set it to J1772... It's possible that the Gen3 stopped offering that possibility.
I would not know which wires are thus optional... I would instead recommend exchanging it by talking with the seller.

EDIT: Also, if it's a Gen3 cable, the max power you can put on it is 48A, not 80A... the power cables are probably thinner...

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Is it possible that the replacement cable you bought is for a Gen3 wall charger? I believe the Gen2 was made with a J1772 plug in some specific (rare) places, maybe there were additional wires for that protocol. I know I have a dip switch inside to optionally set it to J1772... It's possible that the Gen3 stopped offering that possibility.
I would not know which wires are thus optional... I would instead recommend exchanging it by talking with the seller.

EDIT: Also, if it's a Gen3 cable, the max power you can put on it is 48A, not 80A... the power cables are probably thinner...
That’s what I’m thinking. Might be lighting playing tricks on me, but the new cable looks thinner which is another sign it may be a 3rd Gen cable.

OP, how long is the new cable? I’m assuming your 2nd gen had a 24’ cable? If the new cable is 18’, another sign it’s a 3rd Gen cable.

Upvote 0
That’s what I’m thinking. Might be lighting playing tricks on me, but the new cable looks thinner which is another sign it may be a 3rd Gen cable.

OP, how long is the new cable? I’m assuming your 2nd gen had a 24’ cable? If the new cable is 18’, another sign it’s a 3rd Gen cable.

The Gen3 cable has basically the same set of three individual large conductors and another set of 4-5 small conductors that are in a molex block(think that's what its called) so all the small wire plug in at the same time.

Upvote 0