Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd HV battery replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was replaced Dec 2020. With REMANUFACTURED pack. I asked SC about warranty. ZERO, nada. No warranty on replacement pack. Good luck.
SC said $22k for next remanufactured pack with no warranty.
Gruber in Phoenix will replace it cheap. Or Electrify in Ocala.
A man in Finland blew it up with dynamite rather pay 22k.
This is going to become a big issue as more cars come out of warranty. I don't see Tesla doing anything about it so far. I see a big class action suit coming.

• Informative
Reactions: doc5339
Mine was replaced Dec 2020. With REMANUFACTURED pack. I asked SC about warranty. ZERO, nada. No warranty on replacement pack. Good luck.
Gruber in Phoenix will replace it cheap. Or Electrify in Ocala.
This is going to become a big issue as more cars come out of warranty. I don't see Tesla doing anything about it so far. I see a big class action suit coming.
$22k is over priced for a remanufactured pack, Did they give you any credit for your core? I thought reman packs came with some type of warranty

Reactions: doc5339
The problem is folks are getting remanufactured packs under warranty. There’s no reason to expect these old batteries with old chemistry to last another eight years. If you get a replacement be sure you get the new battery that is being labeled as 350 V/90 kWh

Of course there is a warranty - replacements covered under the HV battery warranty are warranted for the remainder of that 8 year warranty.

$22k appears to be the cost for a NEW pack these days, remans are about half that. And both of them include a 4 year / 50k warranty.

I see a big class action suit coming.

What exactly would the claim be? Tesla is a meanie and won’t replace parts for free after the warranty on said parts expires?

Come on.

Sorry to see that happened, but I think you should ask for a free replacement since you just had it replaced about three years ago. If not then you can request a low cost Tesla repair option. These third-party companies can help too:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

www.electrifiedgarage.com
My HV battery on my 2013 model S has reduced power…only charging to 60 miles. I don’t want to pay the Tesla service center $22,500 to replace it. I’m looking into third party options. Has anyone heard or had experience with EV’s REPUBLIC? They are in Rancho Cordova CA. Website states it is a network of Tesla electric car centres. I’d love to get the battery replaced as I love the car.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Looks like we need to update the battery failure counter by 2 in the last week. And whoever said that most people with a failure would be posting even if not normally a forum member maybe right....
Both new folks - what size battery? The 60's seemed to fail at a much higher rate.
Never heard of EV's republic.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Now I need some advice on this issue…
The third party (Eco Drive USA in Rancho Cordova CA) has provided me with these options…
1) fix the current battery @ $6,700
2) replace/upgrade the battery to a 70 for $13,000
3) buy my car ‘as is’ for $18,000

Of course I can just keep it and drive it locally with the 60 miles it will currently charge to

They also sell used Tesla’s. The least expensive is a 2019 Model 3 for $35,000

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

We seem to be getting very different stories from our SCs. The guy at my SC said the remanufactured pack had it's bad module replaced. He said the ship old packs to Reno for repair. It took over a week to get my pack after they said it was bad. Here is something he said "Tesla doesn't make any of the old packs anymore, therefore they are repairing old ones"". And he said, even if our cars are under warranty, there was no warranty on pack past the date on car, which for me was one month.
That gets the question, WHY they never made anyway to upgrade or replace with higher rated pack???
This will only be good as long as third parties buy wreaked cars and salvage packs to use in repairing ours.

Now I need some advice on this issue…
The third party (Eco Drive USA in Rancho Cordova CA) has provided me with these options…
1) fix the current battery @ $6,700
2) replace/upgrade the battery to a 70 for $13,000
3) buy my car ‘as is’ for $18,000

Of course I can just keep it and drive it locally with the 60 miles it will currently charge to

They also sell used Tesla’s. The least expensive is a 2019 Model 3 for $35,000

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

That seems high, and from someone I at least have never heard of. I would try wk057.com. that is Jason Hughes' company. At least we know he knows his stuff.

I would be interested to hear what you find out, and what you decide.

I got car back yesterday. Module has bad cell. Cost $15000 for REMANUFACTURED pack with 1 year warranty. But he would, could not give me the warranty in writing.
Iris did u get the warranty on the price quote?? I couldn't. He really had no honest answer. Oh. Parts guy said 2 month with Remanufactured pack from Reno.
They said my 2019 motor has water in it. No warranty on that replacement in May 2019. Wants $4900 to replace unit with again, no written warranty on quote. Total 19000 to repair car.
I will get qoutes from Recell, Gruber, 057, then decide. Electrify said to drive it till it fails. He thinks SC is wrong. There are no error codes to look at.

Old post but this caught my attention.. Another "man in Finland" here. :)

The details usually missed by the news:
  • Car was an US model. Already crashed in the US.
  • The salvage car was then fixed in Europe (Latvia or Lithuania?)
  • Later the battery was damaged and fixed by a 3rd party.
  • Then car was sold to Finland.
  • Battery died again. Owner asked Tesla to fix it.
  • Tesla actually agreed to fix it (which I find surprising!) but only if they replace the entire pack and scrap the old pack.
  • Owner then sold the entire drivetrain and battery to be used in Mercedes G 350 TD electric swap!
  • Then they blew up the empty shell with a dynamite.
Some details about the Mercedes swap in this Finnish article... Google translator works reasonably well.

That project is pretty amazing. Funny thing is, they are actually also using the "damaged" battery in the project, I guess it wasn't that broken after all.

I got car back yesterday. Module has bad cell. Cost $15000 for REMANUFACTURED pack with 1 year warranty. But he would, could not give me the warranty in writing.
Iris did u get the warranty on the price quote?? I couldn't. He really had no honest answer. Oh. Parts guy said 2 month with Remanufactured pack from Reno.
They said my 2019 motor has water in it. No warranty on that replacement in May 2019. Wants $4900 to replace unit with again, no written warranty on quote. Total 19000 to repair car.
I will get qoutes from Recell, Gruber, 057, then decide. Electrify said to drive it till it fails. He thinks SC is wrong. There are no error codes to look at.

That sounds about par for the course with Tesla.

We can't do any better on the motor, unfortunately, since these end up being pretty expensive to get ones in good condition these days suitable for replacements (especially performance models).

We can almost definitely beat pricing of any of the third party folks on the battery side of things (and actually do it right), though, even more so when considering transport costs. Our caveat with that is that we won't just give you a quote on the battery replacement, since the pricing is fully dependent on the condition of the existing pack. (We used to give a range, but the upper end of that is the cost of an entire pack in the case the entire pack is bad... unlikely, but possible, so... not super helpful.) This way, if your existing pack is in really good shape (as in, you're still able to drive the car but has maybe one module with an issue), we can charge you way less than someone with an older 2012 signature pack that has moisture ingress affecting 6 modules. Sure, we could probably offer a flat rate pricing that reflects our experience, but there'd have to be a premium for this... so, to me, flat pricing for pack replacements (unless we're not dealing with a core pack at all, that is) doesn't make sense for customers, and some of these other companies doing this are, more often than not based on prices I've seen, overcharging.

I guess some folks would rather have that upfront pricing, but to me it just doesn't seem to make sense if you're trying to save on things. Instead, we'd rather get the car to us, actually diagnose the battery issue, and then get a solid price for the customer. If they don't want to move forward after that, they can get their car and do whatever they like. We've got a Tesla service center ~60 miles away.

Oh, and if your car drives right now, but is having BMS errors (intermittent or not)... honestly, just stop driving it. You'll want to keep it movable under its own power for easier (cheaper) transport loading and get it fixed sooner rather than later instead of letting it completely die and be stuck having to deal with INOP transport costs.

Since you're in Florida, so shipping the car to us is going to be pretty decently priced if the car can be driven. The price gets heftier if it can't drive.

Anyway, reach out to my guys over at our contact page or give us a call.

You should have gotten it in writing, it is Florida law