TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2nd Life for Your Battery PAC

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Daniel Scherer, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Daniel Scherer

Daniel Scherer Junior Member

How many others have considered plans to keep and use your battery PAC after it reaches the end of its useful car life. I have a solar panel system and would like to use the old PAC for storing power for night use. I know Tesla has a current system for this now but will they have a system available based on these car pac's? I've also considered they may have a core charge of some type if you don't turn them back in. Thoughts?

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Gonna be a tad cumbersome toting a 3000lb battery pack to the back yard.:cursing:

3. Daniel Scherer

Daniel Scherer Junior Member

The 85 PAC weighs 900lbs and it would stay in the garage where my solar inverter is located.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#4 yobigd20, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    make one of these:

or build and sell a bunch of these:

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I fully plan on mounting my old pack and use it as part of a grid tie system. At the very least I would charge it at night with crazy low ToU rates, and discharge during daytime peak rates.

I was actually talking to someone at work about what would happen if I needed a new battery. And they were asking if I would try to use my battery in this manner.

Hopefully that is 10+ years down the road though.

6. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

I'm going to put mine in a closet and replace my laptop battery each year for the next 7000 years.

7. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Laptop batteries typically use 6 cells (some 9), so technically you'd only have 1100 years or so. :cool:

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Four, five years in and Roadster owners are still a long way from even considering such a thing. With a doubling of energy every 10 years and a drop in prices maybe buying new cells will make more sense?

9. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

You'd buy a new battery for the car, but then you have the old one which hopefully can be reused at a reasonable level of cost and difficulty.