Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd of (2) 2016 S I'm shopping / this one P90D / advice sought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(1st is red 2016 S 70 separate thread)

2016 S P90D, $50K, 24K miles SC01, assistant says window sticker states 253 range @100%;
dealing with owner's assistant, not owner;
to my advantage: assistant went silent week+ ago after stating "other buyers"
today he re-contacted me... 😱 ‼️😱
I requested RATED range;
link: Autotrader - page unavailable
(link works despite error message)
I will have to red wrap for business reasons, another ?$6K?
Guessing $41K is starting point...? Advice sought -- thanks in advance. ‼️‼️

Last edited:
(EV newbie)
owner's assistant sent me this -- is it 246 rated range?

Attachments

• 2016PSD90-246.jpg
    2016PSD90-246.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 139
(EV newbie)
owner's assistant sent me this -- is it 246 rated range?
There is no way to know with absolute certainty if that's rated vs. ideal from that photo. What you would need them to do is on the main Controls screen, there is a tab for Display, and then on that screen is the option to show in miles versus percent and beside that are select buttons for rated or ideal.

While I cannot be absolutely certain, I think it is reasonable to think that this is rated range. If I recall correctly a P90D in that era was 270 mile rated range when new. 246 now would put it at about 9% apparent degradation, which is in line with what my MS90D with 72.5k miles shows. Note ... degradation is as much about calendar age of the battery as it is with mileage on the vehicle, so the fact this car shows similar battery range to my car of same age but about 50k miles difference is not totally unreasonable.

Is it the free supercharging that's most appealing to you? I've seen a lot of better deals out there. I'm in CA, so not your region, but here's an example of a 2017 with MCU2, FSD, and another 2016.5 with FUSC, AP1. For $40k you should get the updated bumper, and not the nosecone. Plus try to get one with MCU2. If you get a refreshed 2016.5 private party it should transfer all the upgrades the owner received like Free Supercharging, FSD, etc...
Don't overpay for the low mileage like you would a gas car because the battery's age and how it was treated matters more. I wouldn't offer more than $35k for it but I personally would look for a different one.

Is it the free supercharging that's most appealing to you? I've seen a lot of better deals out there. I'm in CA, so not your region, but here's an example of a 2017 with MCU2, FSD, and another 2016.5 with FUSC, AP1. For $40k you should get the updated bumper, and not the nosecone. Plus try to get one with MCU2. If you get a refreshed 2016.5 private party it should transfer all the upgrades the owner received like Free Supercharging, FSD, etc...
Don't overpay for the low mileage like you would a gas car because the battery's age and how it was treated matters more. I wouldn't offer more than $35k for it but I personally would look for a different one.
Really good options and great advice here. Also if your budget is around 45-55k I would be looking at P100D's if you want to go all out. Just got mine Sunday and the power is addicting ASF

• Funny
Reactions: myoda
Don't overpay for the low mileage like you would a gas car because the battery's age and how it was treated matters more.
I think this is the most important advice for the OP. OP will have many better deals to choose from if OP drops the requirement of super-low mileage. Many people even think that buying super-low mileage Teslas is a bad idea b/c those owners may not encounter the typical issues that can be fixed under warranty early on.

Thanks for all responses above. More appreciated.
Am sending PCMc instructions to owner of red 2016 S 70.

A general observation about used Tesla S sellers.
All (4) I've contacted so far did NOT know various things about their vehicles: SC01, MCU, rated vs ideal, etc.
Just sayin' I'm not yet jumping to belief they are conning me. One or more could be, but... ❓ ❓ ❓
After all, I'm ignorant to what's under keyboard of my laptop, but use it frequently...

Thanks.
If possible, what are one or more of those TYPICAL issues?
Could they exist at current red S 70 12K miles to point that owner is aware?
Could I detect them during test ride? Thanks in advance.
I would think door handles (early gen handles have more failure points), lower control arms (mainly rear), a leaky or broken sun roof, issues with the instrument cluster, or the MCU screen leaking goo, amongst others. Those repairs alone range from $350-$2,000+ out of warranty if repaired by Tesla. I fix my own door handles with $20 rebuild kits. Takes about an hour or so once you get good at it. Rears are easier to diy repair than the fronts. I would suggest getting the car inspected, if possible, and have them do a full run down. There are posts in these forums that have a checklist of what to look for with these older MS'.

I also second Jayskywalker21's suggestion to consider a higher capacity battery than a 70. Range anxiety, no matter how many superchargers are near you, is a real thing. Every little bit of additional range helps. I have a 75D and get about 234 miles at 100%, but that's not usable miles because you're not going to be charging to 100% and driving to 0%. I generally charge it to 70–80% and run it down to around 25–30%, which gives me about 130 miles between charging sessions. I have SC01 but only use the superchargers for road trips and mainly charge for free at work on a level 2 charger. Hope I don't sound like a downer because I love my 2016.5 75D and had a chance to replace it with a new Model 3/Y but the build quality on these older cars are just better. My family also has a 2020 Model 3 and that car just feels cheap and rattles all over.

for first time, I've put price "out there" (to a seller's assistant):
🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔
"being an EV newbie, I am relying on Tesla forum pricing advice;
they are telling me $35K-$40K for this vehicle if all checks out OK;
if willing to say, at what rate will you be lowering price if no takers?

one good thing: I am cash buyer..."

for first time, I've put price "out there" (to a seller's assistant):
🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔
"being an EV newbie, I am relying on Tesla forum pricing advice;
they are telling me $35K-$40K for this vehicle if all checks out OK;
if willing to say, at what rate will you be lowering price if no takers?

one good thing: I am cash buyer..."
Honestly, at this point I suggest you find a trusted person in your personal life to do this kind of used car negotiation for you (doesn't matter that it's an EV, this is about used car bargaining). If you don't know such a person, there are such things as professional car buying services, and I think you could really use one.

No-nos that you just did with this car:
-- You suggested the maximum you're willing to pay;
-- You are asking the other side for their negotiation strategy (!!!!!!!!! - this reveals your inexperience)
-- You are ADMITTING inexperience ("EV newbie") and that you're relying on strangers in an online forum to advise you.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with enlisting someone with more used car buying experience to help you negotiate. People do this all the time for each other. And again, there are professionals who can help you with this, for a fee.

If you really feel you need to do this by yourself, I suggest getting on some more general used car buying forum and asking some basic questions about how to submit offers, and how to adjust offers over the course of a negotiation. This is not the right forum for that.

Thanks for reporting it. FUSC is a must for me.

2016 90D owner's assistant messaged:

"Rated distance w/ 100% charge: 254mi. Ideal distance w/ 100% charge: 328mi
Today, 3:07 PM Sent
I’ve already had an offer for $43k.
It’s not that motivated of a seller. Might have to wait to get a better deal"

if willing, does anyone, when time is right, think $43,200, for this specific vehicle is reasonable?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
sounds reasonable i guess
seems there's demand for FUSC

some references for u:

edit.
and this one showed up if ur considering X as well...
(kudos to seller for listing the SC01 code)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these offers!
Sadly, they're all far far away.
Does Cars & Bids permit contacting owner?
Are cars with the owners or at what C&B location?
Yes, SC01 X is possible.
That last red X in VA for $41K seems great price. 😧 😧 😧
It must be the mentioned dent lower price ~$7K?