TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2nd Onboard Charger available for purchase for already delivered cars

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Blurry_Eyed, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

Just visited the Tesla shop store page at Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles and under Model S - functional, on the 2nd page, this is now listed here: 2ND Onboard Charger Tesla Motors

Price for parts and labor to add the 2nd Onboard charger is $3,600. So if you have a car with only one onboard charger, it looks like you can add the 2nd charger at your service center.

2. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

That's great. For me, these don't make sense yet because there aren't enough 70A chargers near me in the wild. But, maybe in 4+ years there will be and I can take advantage of them by getting this upgrade.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Good catch. More than 2x the cost of ordering it with the car from the factory.

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

True, but it does add some security for those who might want to purchase it later and were on the fence when finalizing. I think this is good news since many assumed it could not be added later.

5. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Yeah, I didn't order it because I really don't believe that it will be useful for me. But if I'm wrong I can still get it in a few years (if I'm right I've saved 1500, if I'm wrong I'll have spent an additional 2100, but won't be swearing as I wait the extra time at the 80amp chargers installed at every Starbucks :wink: ). I still think the future is DC charging, though.

6. PureAmps

PureAmps Model S P85 (#2817)

This is also helps with resale of the vehicle.

I didn't order twin chargers because I couldn't think of a case where I would actually use them while I own the vehicle. The only reason I considered ordering them was resale value. It was hinted at me by several people at Tesla that a second charger could be added later, so I decided to just stick with the single charger.

When I eventually sell the car it is good to know that this option is available so that a future buyer could upgrade the car if they really needed that capability.

7. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Hey, I'm always ready to admit I was wrong, so there it is!

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Lots of 80 amp charging stations in Canada, so the twin charger option was a no-brainer for me.

9. bosgig

bosgig Member

Thanks for flagging this. $3600 vs. $1500 as original equipment is a bigger premium than I would have expected. It's nice to have the option, but I might have considered going ahead and configuring with the twin chargers out of the gate had I been thinking there would be a $2100 increment to install it later (I guess I never doubted that we'd be able to do this, just how much it would cost). But on the other hand, I'll probably never need both anyway!

10. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

The confirms my decision was sound to go with the 2nd onboard charger initially, that's a big premium to add it later.
    I built my own 75A OpenEVSE for about $600, it's nice being able to charge the car in an hour or two, four hours max :)

11. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

Link? Details? Thanks!

12. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

13. JackA

JackA Member

DC charging may be the future for dedicated and federal/state government supported sites but with a purchase cost of over $10,000 (plus higher installation and provisioning costs) not many businesses, proprietors or local governmental units will be sponsoring them. The high amperage L2 EVSE is what most likely will emerge as the predominate charger. A ClipperCreek CS90 like those deployed along Canada Highway #1 are retailing at about $2,300 (US) and are capable of continuous 80 Amp charging. I am confident that many of the currently installed 30/32 Amp stations will be retrofitted with higher amperage units as the population of vehicles able to accept higher amperage increases.

14. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

The CS-90 only does 72A (80% of 90A). You'd need the CS-100 to get 80A.

15. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Yep, same here.

16. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

i completely agree. Ouch!! That's a crazy markup to ad a second charger after delivery. Come on TM, seriously?!
    Yes, this is certainly one way to get customers to add it during purchase (upsell). Since I didn't have this info available when I finalized by order, I expect TM to offer us early adopters a discount if we want to add a 2nd charger. Sheesh

17. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

I am doubtful TM will offer a discount. I suspect the thinking will be that the information we all had was that we could buy the twin chargers initially—with no guarantee we could add it on later at all—and we decided to buy one or not at that particular price (and it is probably cheaper to install during construction than having to take the car apart to add it). The fact we can get it, even at a high premium, is a plus to be able to add a 2nd charger for som, but it wasn't like the option to have a 2nd charger wasn't available from the start. As an early adopter myself, I personally wouldn't count on (or expect) discounts on unannounced upgrades down the road.

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

This seems normal to me. Try adding on items to any car after purchase and 3x is pretty typical (when it's not 4x or 5x).

19. EVTECH

EVTECH Member

^Nailed it. Think of how easy it is for them to install it on the factory line compared to dismantling the back seat to install it. And as far as I know there isn't any "retrofits/add-ons" for an other hybrid/electric cars offered anywhere else. It's nice they are actually making it available.

20. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

I wonder if after some time the "Add Supercharging" option will appear and if so how much would that be? They have been a bit more strongly worded though when it comes to pointing out that SC can't be added later (as opposed to 2nd charger where they have been saying more "you may or may not be able to add it later").

If I were to go with the 60kWh model here in EU I'd would really consider not getting the SC now in order to wait and see if and how they build their SC network where it is relevant for me.