Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd owner - Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi gang, I've read from numerous sources that the non-original owners are allowed to purchase the Extended Service Agreement, as long as it hasn't passed through a dealer. I'm purchasing a 2015 70D from a private party. It has 39,000 miles on it, so It will hit 50K before it hits 4 years. I'm buying the car under the assumption that I will be able to purchase the ESA when the car hits 50K.

I wanted to confirm this with the group. I do not need to arrange anything with the seller, or Tesla beforehand, correct? I can just wait until the car hits 50K, drive down to the SA, and pay for the ESA? I'm just curious how this works, and if anyone else has gone through the same process before.

I have a very cooperative seller, and we can surely make something happen before the sale if it has to go that direction. Thanks for the help.

Assuming your car is eligible, you will be able to purchase the ESA right from your "My Tesla" web page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 7.42.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 7.42.34 PM.png
    518.7 KB · Views: 97
Assuming your car is eligible, you will be able to purchase the ESA right from your "My Tesla" web page.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I called my local SC, and they confirmed this as well. I think it differs a little by state, but he said the same. 2nd owner doesn't matter, but the timing is everything ( 4-years or 50K ). I'll have a year to drive it, and decide on buying it or not. Thanks!

not sure this works, but worth a discussion:
you could ask current owner to buy the ESA. ESA is transferrable to new owner upon resell (I have seen the ESA contract). Then, you have option to cancel before the 50K/4yrs if you feel you don't need it (I recommend keeping ESA - these are high-gizmo cars!).

not sure this works, but worth a discussion:
you could ask current owner to buy the ESA. ESA is transferrable to new owner upon resell (I have seen the ESA contract). Then, you have option to cancel before the 50K/4yrs if you feel you don't need it (I recommend keeping ESA - these are high-gizmo cars!).

Yes, that is an option. I have a very cooperative seller, but I really don't think it's necessary after checking everything out. As I mentioned, I called the Tesla SC. An employee confirmed what others are saying. If I buy a car from the original owner, it's no problem adding the ESA once the car hits 50K or 4 years. This matches what is on the FAQ for the Tesla warranty site, I guess I wanted to hear it from Tesla. Which I did.

That’s good. I have also read that if a car hasn’t been well maintained, Tesla may deny ESA purchase for that car. And the reasonable way they know the car is well maintained is if the car shows up for the annual maintenances.

I have also seen back and forth messaging on whether this is true or not and many challenge that. So while tesla employee says yes you can buy - there might be conditions that only become clear when you actually buy the ESA, or worse, when you actually show up for the first time to claim ESA service.