Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd phone app user: Same Tesla account or separate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife bought a Model 3 a few weeks ago. We use two accounts, hers is the main account.

However, when I went on a trip today, and supercharged during the trip, the cost was billed on her creditcard instead of mine. Is this standard behavior, and is there a way to change this?

Thx

My wife bought a Model 3 a few weeks ago. We use two accounts, hers is the main account.

However, when I went on a trip today, and supercharged during the trip, the cost was billed on her creditcard instead of mine. Is this standard behavior, and is there a way to change this?

Thx
Yes it is .. I'm not there is any way to change it, since her account is the "main" one .. yours is just a way for her to give permission for you to unlock/drive the car using your phone. Maybe pay her back? Nice glass of wine and dinner someplace? :)

Thx
Sounds like your setup is really she is the main account and she's just given your account access to the car. Everything will be billed to the account the car is tied to.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this yet. For me, the number one reason to have two separate accounts is that the driver profile can be linked with the key used to enter the vehicle. This includes phone key. Which means that if your wife uses her phone (with her own Tesla account) to access the car it will automatically load her seat / mirror / steering wheel preferences. Same goes for you when you enter the vehicle using your phone and your own Tesla account.
But of course this isnt true (in case anyone still reads this thread). Driver profiles are linked based on the physical phone, regardless of if it has a distinct or shared account setup in the phone app. My kids and I use the same Tesla account, and each has their phone linked to a driver profile in the car with no trouble at all.