TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2nd Row Cup Holders from Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by 4SUPER9, Aug 12, 2013.

1. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

#1 4SUPER9, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    Found this on the Shop Tesla Gear site. My apologies if someone already posted it. Can only be installed at a SC:

This upgrade is only available as a Tesla Service installed option"

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/2nd-row-cupholder

cupholders_03_1024x1024.jpg

2. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

3. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Actually, I have never seen a cup holder solution like this. A simple leather strap. I wonder how effective this is? Seems like if one of my kids doesn't insert their cup correctly, it can pop put and spill. Also seems like it would be hard to have a drink that is frequently pulled up and put back in.

Interesting, but I will not be the first to order this. I will others experiment and see how it goes.

4. deonb

deonb Active Member

"against the lower forward area of the second row seat, placing beverages within an arm's reach."

The picture looks like it's just above the floor, no? That's not within arm's reach? Or am I (hopefully) misunderstanding.

5. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Kids are lower to the ground than we are...

Is it just me, or does it look like the lid/top of the cup rests against the back of the seat? All the more reason to have black leather I guess.

6. BryanW

BryanW R#664, Model S#1526

Looks like it. Similar to the Roadster cup holder. Base of the holder is the floor of the car.

7. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Not when they're in a child/booster seat.

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

Yes, but they have shorter arms...

Unless they take off the seatbelt, there is no way to reach something on the floor.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Our kids seats always had built in cupholders.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, it's about time they came up with something, it's been more than a year since Tesla asked us what we wanted! Just yesterday we stopped off at Starbucks on the way home and came out with 3 cups....where to put them? :cursing:

10. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

My kids are long out of seats, but still young enough to be reckless. Imagine leaving a coke in one of these, then stepping out/back into the car. They will easily kick it over. Hell, I would likely kick it over. This may be good for a long trip and rare use. But then, how expensive will it be?

11. nirvanaman

nirvanaman Member

Wow, this seems surprisingly poorly thought out.

12. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Yes for Toddler seats...

But most booster seats don't have cup holders. Our daughter has been in a booster seat for nearly 3 years now -- with another ~18 months to 42 months more to go (laws now require until age 8, but up to age 10 is recommended). Her boosters don't have cup holders...

13. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

There are some seats with cup holders built in, but those usually have difficulty fitting into some seats.
    I can't imagine a 10-year-old using a booster. When the laws in California changed to 8 years, there was absolutely no data showing that this would provide added benefit.

14. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

The cup holders on those booster seats are crap. Too shallow for anything useful. So in fact they become cup spilling devices...

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

[OT Alert]

Actually, most of them do have cupholders....here's a search on Amazon. One time we took a plane trip and forgot my daughters booster seat; quick stop at a Target right by the airport got us one with cupholders for <$17.

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Agreed. Solution doesn't seem great. Feels like a mod someone did in their garage.

17. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

In my Teslaccessories newsletter today, they're teasing their own version of this...since it was in a newsletter, I assume this is OK to repeat:

There were no pics in the newsletter, unfortunately.

18. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Maybe it was that guy at Teslive that was showing the prototype of his version of the rear cup holder that goes on the rear of the center console with the existing sliders and cup holders?

19. markb1

markb1 Active Member

This looks like an afterthought (which is exactly what it is).

20. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I find the solution to be rather clever, though certainly not ideal. It's a relatively inexpensive (though perhaps not in the hands of the Tesla pricing folks) and unobtrusive addition. If you only have folks back there occasionally, then it's probably fine. I would not trust my 6 year old twins with this one though. Waiting for rear center console ... we rarely transport 5 people.