Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Row Executive Seat console lit hinge repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would seem every 2nd row console lid/hinge on the planet is broken due to the lid lifting spring within a year of delivery.
Broken 2nd row Executive Console.jpg
While the lid damage is mainly cosmetic the loss of assistance from the lifting spring is only slightly inconvenient.

I dislike broken things so I decided to search out the solution. I anticipate I own the only Tesla with Executive 2nd row seating that doesn't have the console lid broken by the lid lifting spring.

My Tesla is still under warranty, so I recently inspected 2 new consoles taken from the box and they also had a broken lid so a new console is useless to fix the damage caused by the lid lifting spring.

However, I did discover on my own, that Tesla offers a 2nd row console lid and hinge assemble (p/n: 1043280-00-B for $53.53) and since the spring is not under tension the spring has not had an opportunity to damage the lid.

If you acquire one of the lids/hinge repair assemblies (while they last) I would suggest removing the spring immediately to save the lid/hinge assemble and prevent the inevitable if not immediate lid failure due to the lid lifting spring. I also anticipate if you remove the spring the broken ABS lid could actually be repaired/glued if the damage is not excessive. I also anticipate there is enough clearance to make the lid stronger and retain the springs functionality by fabricating a heavy gauge metal bracket to attach on the compartment side of the lid, but that is more effort than I’m willing to invest at this point.

The 2nd row console is easy to remove with just 4 torx screws under the rubber cup holder and console floor mats. The lid hinge is attached to the console with 2 torx screws. The console upholstered cover is attached with 4 torx screws.

To remove the spring, first remove the philips screw and spring tension bracket on the back side of the hinge, under the black tape.
hinge retainer for Spring .jpg
Once that is done the spring tension is released. To remove the spring, the hinge pin “E” rings on each side of the spring needs to be remove (small straight blade screwdriver will work). Once the “E” rings are removed, pushing out on the white hinge pin damper as the hinge is flexed will allow each hinge pin to slide out ½”and make clearance for the spring to drop out.
Hinge Pins out.jpg
E ring-spring-retainer.jpg
The hinge pins can then be pushed back in, engaging the white hinge damper, and the “E” rings re-installed in the grove in the hinge pins.
Hinge Pins In.jpg

I placed several pieces of black 1/8" closed cell foam on the lid near the lid latch to keep the lid from contacting the console hard, as a precaution, should the lid be accidentally dropped .
Done...

Reactions: Chaserr