Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd-row foot lighting only on one side of car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently noticed that my Feb 2015 build Model S without premium lighting oddly has a light under the front passenger seat that provides light for the rear passenger footwell, however that light assembly is completely missing on the driver's side. I figure that I either got a free light that I shouldn't have, or that I'm missing a light that I should have.

Question 1: Can someone confirm that one-sided lighting is not a "feature" and also whether I should or should not have the second light if I did not upgrade to premium lighting?

Question 2: How does this happen? Is there a worker on each side of the car during assembly making independent decisions about whether the lit assembly should be pulled from the bin and one side messed this up?

I have the opposite problem. I have a light on the driver's side, but not the passenger side. My driver's seat was replaced due to an internal issue. It looks silly from the back seat. I need to ask them to unplug it or allow me to buy a light for the other side or something.

The wires for the lighting is there on all vehicles. Your car must have one of the snap on LED light housings connected. The wires for the lights are wrapped tightly and tucked really high under the seat on those without the premium lighting. As with most things on the Model S, the hardware is there, just not completely.

if I get a minute I can go take a pic

- - - Updated - - -

Those wires are the perfect wires to tap into if you want to install brighter accent lighting under the front seats. They won't stay on while I drive if you don't have the premium lighting. That's why I tapped into the 12v socket from behind.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it!
image.jpg

You only need 2 parts to get light under a seat. The light and a holder.
I'm not allowed to post links yet. But search for "Second-row footwell lights" at teslafied dot eu

The same lights are used under the doors - also mentioned in the blog "rear door puddle lights"

You only need 2 parts to get light under a seat. The light and a holder.
I'm not allowed to post links yet. But search for "Second-row footwell lights" at teslafied dot eu

The same lights are used under the doors - also mentioned in the blog "rear door puddle lights"

Wow. That is really simple (and cheap). I'm going to check if my other seat has the wire you need. This indicates it does, but you never know with Tesla.
Second-row footwell lights | Teslafied
Thanks!

Last edited: