Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd row seats are a piece of sculptural beauty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That, and more. Elon tends to get ahead of himself and promise things that aren't ready, don't come to fruition or just gush about things that most others don't have the same level of enthusiasm for.

It's a good and bad thing, and no one is doubting what he has done for Tesla. I'm merely pointing out (as most, I think, know) that you have to take many of his statements, timelines and levels of excitement with a grain of salt.

Sadly I agree, albeit it's understandable given the scale of Tesla.

Of course, he does live up to it on the SpaceX side...

"Land on a solid surface" turns into "here's a m*****f***ing floating robot spaceport" within a span of three months
July SpaceX Soft Lands Falcon 9 Rocket First Stage | SpaceX
October Elon Musk on Twitter:

Whatever. I disagree. He said he was going to make the best car in the world, a seemingly IMPOSSIBLE feat, and he friggin did it. He made a car better than any EV of my wildest dreams. If he says the seats are beautiful I believe him until proven otherwise. :)

The idea of a car seat conforming to "individual butt cheeks" implies that many humans are significantly asymmetrical in that area, which I doubt (and I work in surgery and see plenty of exposed butts).
This appears to be a solution in search of a problem... i.e. meaningless marketing.

My first thought when I saw that was "I can keep my wallet in my back pocket and not be uncomfortable?". I guess it could also adjust to how you sit (placing more weight on a certain side etc). I agree though, seems useless.

The prototype X has a 2nd row BENCH. Any chance that the second row seats will be captain's chairs? Captain's chairs have always been a minimum requirement for my wife, however, she's willing to compromise on the X, even if not, but it would be nice if they were....even as an option. She was never willing to compromise before, but now after driving the S, she's knows there won't be anything even close to the X on the market so she's willing to settle for bench if necessary.

The prototype X has a 2nd row BENCH. Any chance that the second row seats will be captain's chairs? Captain's chairs have always been a minimum requirement for my wife, however, she's willing to compromise on the X, even if not, but it would be nice if they were....even as an option. She was never willing to compromise before, but now after driving the S, she's knows there won't be anything even close to the X on the market so she's willing to settle for bench if necessary.
I would love captain chairs in the second row as well. Bought my Ford Expedition in another state when I couldn't find a used one locally. One of my reasons, tho, was for easier access to the 3rd row. That is not really a problem in the Model X since you can step into the 3rd row when the 2nd row seat is moved forward. If it is a bench I sure hope the middle seats back folds down to a nice arm rest, cup holders, and access storage area including USB plug-ins.

The X is advertised as a 7-seater. If the middle row has captain's chairs, the 3rd row would have to hold 3 to keep that as an option. My old GMC Acadia had 3-in-therear, and offered middle row captain's chairs as an option (which I had and loved). That means that depending on which option you chose, you had either a 7-seater or on an 8-seater.

The X is advertised as a 7-seater. If the middle row has captain's chairs, the 3rd row would have to hold 3 to keep that as an option. My old GMC Acadia had 3-in-therear, and offered middle row captain's chairs as an option (which I had and loved). That means that depending on which option you chose, you had either a 7-seater or on an 8-seater.

funny thing with the Acadia is that the 7-seat option costs more than the 8-seat.

The X prototype 2nd row was three individual chairs, not a bench. So the X could easily be 3-3-2, and not 3-2-3 as you suggest...

Tesla-Model-X-2 2nd row.jpg

Remember, the 3rd row is optional.

Peter+

I've seen this mentioned, but can't think of the source. When/where was that said/confirmed? Or are we assuming based on the Michigan pic from a lil while ago?

I want the third row to fold away into the floor so the second row can be moved back for executive legroom :D

If there's no one in the back, looks like you'd heave great room by sliding the second row back until it's up against the third row. Though folding down, or being removable would indeed be best. I could see it working well as a taxi.

In an eMail to reservation holders from
Tesla many months ago

Peter+

Thanks, you're right. In an email from 6/16/2014:

We’ll also deliver a level of functionality and practicality that will exceed what you saw on the concept vehicle. We can confirm that all-wheel drive will come standard for Model X, and you’ll have the option to add a third row of seats to carry more passengers. You’ll also be able to fold down the second and third rows to create a flat platform for storage. When it comes to charging and long distance drives, Model X will be able to take full advantage of our rapidly growing Supercharger network.

Of note, I only have one more Model X update email that I can find from 11/18/2014