Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Row Seats Do Not Remember Previous Position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my X for 2 1/2 months. In that time there are a lot of features I love about the car, but there are some that just don't make sense. Most people who have paid for the 6 or 7 seat version expect to actually use the third row. If you have ever been back there with the middle row adjusted properly there is a nice amount of leg room back there. The problem is when you press the button near your shoulder to move forward the second row seat so the third row occupants can sit down. While they are getting situated the people sitting in the second row will press the button to move the second row back so they can sit down. Here's the problem, the poor occupants in the third row end up getting their legs squished because the second row seats go all the way back to a default position (confirmed this with my service center). I was told if the third row occupants are 50 lbs or heavier and have buckled up then the second row seats would move to an alternate default position which gives leg room for the third row occupants, but again this is a default position. What if you want them to have more or less leg room. The only option now is to manually adjust all 3 second row seats to the position you want them in EVERY time an occupant gets into the third row seats. This may be OK for a $20,000 car, but not a $100,000 car! To me it makes much more sense for the second row seats to move back to the previous position they were in rather than a default position.

Please help me get a new feature created so that by default the second row seats will always return to the position they were previously in every time. The more requests they get the more likely this feature will be created.

Reactions: Blastphemy
Completely agree. I have the exact same issue. My 5 year old sits in the 3rd row and isn't heavy enough to trigger the "leg room protection" you described so she's learned to lift her legs up to avoid getting crushed and I have to manually adjust her legroom every time. 2nd row also doesn't remember the degree of tilt after easy access is engaged. I think the default it returns to is tilted back too much.

An easy way to avoid crushing the legs of the third row occupants is to hold down the easy entry button during the entire motion and then let the button go before touching their legs. If you just use the single press method the seat will always return to full aft.

• Informative
Reactions: Saxena
If someones legs get crushed in my X, Tesla will be getting a call from my attorney. This sounds dangerous.
I should rephrase, legs may get "squeezed" into a tight space. The buttons function correctly and if you hold it down for a little more than half a second, the movement will be under you complete control. In contrast, just tapping the button in the event someone is in the third row causes the seat to automatically restore to the full rear position.

This is an important distinction for the use of the easy entry buttons. The seat control screen refers to this for the onscreen buttons, but for the forward motion in the case there's a car seat in the second row.

I'm sure your attorney has better things to do. I've "crushed" my finger in a BMW soft close door before, never thought of calling an attorney. The door operated correctly, my finger was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Spend some time learning how to use the functions of your amazing Model X and free up some time for yourself and your attorney.

Cheers!

Last edited:
If someones legs get crushed in my X, Tesla will be getting a call from my attorney. This sounds dangerous.
Sheesh, at least sit in the 3rd row of an X before making such statements. There is very little (if any) chance of crushing.. but the person in the 3rd row can get squeezed/pressed rather uncomfortably.

Tesla still needs to address the the seat memory or at least stop the motion when resistance is detected.

Squeezed vs crushed. Maybe crushed is an exaggeration but I've gotten a few "ouches" from my 5 year old. Yes, one can control the stopping point of the 2nd row seat during reversal of the easy access function. But that requires an adult standing outside the door to control it. I don't see how a child strapped in a carseat could be expected to control the 2nd row seat while worrying about being pinched/pressed/squeezed.

Squeezed vs crushed. Maybe crushed is an exaggeration but I've gotten a few "ouches" from my 5 year old. Yes, one can control the stopping point of the 2nd row seat during reversal of the easy access function. But that requires an adult standing outside the door to control it. I don't see how a child strapped in a carseat could be expected to control the 2nd row seat while worrying about being pinched/pressed/squeezed.
Not dismissing the actual concern with the seat, agree my 6 yo will not be able to stop the seat (press the button) while buckled up in 3rd row. My kid got more scared/startled by it then hurt.

I am certain this will be addressed in future update, they should be able to detect the resistance/obstacle or at minimum allow for memory preset to allow changing where the seat stops.

I was addressing the knee-jerk "let me call my lawyer" which seems to pop-up from time to time...

Just to add one more bit of information that I omitted in my original post. The second row seats will not crush legs because when it is moving backwards and meets an unmovable object (i.e. a solid object) the motor will detect that level of resistance and stop the seat from moving backwards. Legs are a bit different because they can be pushed by the second row seats to a spot which enables the seats to still move backwards. The issue is scaring/surprising the person sitting in the third row and having their legs squished (not crushed). I don't thing any real injury would occur.

Sheesh, at least sit in the 3rd row of an X before making such statements. There is very little (if any) chance of crushing.. but the person in the 3rd row can get squeezed/pressed rather uncomfortably.

Tesla still needs to address the the seat memory or at least stop the motion when resistance is detected.
I was joking! I realize you cant get crushed. I was mocking the I will get my lawyer posts on here. Sorry.. i will add an emoji next time.....