Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Row seats don't auto-stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was taking my kids for a ride the other day when my son decided to dive between the 2nd and 3rd row as the 2nd row seat was moving backward, Indiana Jones style, when it occurred to me that I should probably make sure the 2nd row seats auto-stop in case he doesn't make it all the way through. I did a quick test where I auto-moved the 2nd row seats rearward while resisting with approximately 100lbs and it didn't stop. This concerns me a lot, particularly since I have a kids that frequently use the 3rd row.

Can anyone else comment on whether their 2nd row seats auto-stop when they encounter resistance?

I was taking my kids for a ride the other day when my son decided to dive between the 2nd and 3rd row as the 2nd row seat was moving backward, Indiana Jones style, when it occurred to me that I should probably make sure the 2nd row seats auto-stop in case he doesn't make it all the way through. I did a quick test where I auto-moved the 2nd row seats rearward while resisting with approximately 100lbs and it didn't stop. This concerns me a lot, particularly since I have a kids that frequently use the 3rd row.

Can anyone else comment on whether their 2nd row seats auto-stop when they encounter resistance?

It will always stop if one of these 2 conditions is met: 1) the 3rd row seat belt is buckled, 2) if it senses an adult in the 3rd row seat (though not sure of exact weight threshold). If you don't buckle up (such as if you're using a car seat attached by LATCH) or weigh less than an adult, you're out of luck and will get your knees crushed everyone. I tell my daughter to buckle up immediately when she hops in the 3rd row.

Thanks for clarifying. I was hoping that my car was an early VIN anomaly and just didn't have the necessary tuning to properly detect an obstacle. Sure enough, when I sit in the back seat it has excellent obstacle detection, but not when I try to stop the seat when I'm standing next to the car.

I don't understand why the design would allow for obstacle detection only when the third row has an adult and not all the time. Any ideas? It seems like a pretty big oversight that should be fixed before someone else tries to "shoot the gap" and doesn't quite make it.

Thanks for clarifying. I was hoping that my car was an early VIN anomaly and just didn't have the necessary tuning to properly detect an obstacle. Sure enough, when I sit in the back seat it has excellent obstacle detection, but not when I try to stop the seat when I'm standing next to the car.

I don't understand why the design would allow for obstacle detection only when the third row has an adult and not all the time. Any ideas? It seems like a pretty big oversight that should be fixed before someone else tries to "shoot the gap" and doesn't quite make it.

Agreed. They really need to change the default behavior to protect the 3rd row occupants (which are often kids who might be too light to trigger the occupant detection, or might be in a car seat attached by LATCH and therefore not using the buckle). 2nd row folks can always manually adjust afterwards, whereas 3rd row occupants don't have that option.

It's not using obstacle detection... it just senses weight in the third row and moves back to like 80% instead of the full 100%. It's a preset location.