Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd row seats won't lock to floor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone has fixed a similar issue before rather than waiting for service appointment.

This is a 3 row model Y. Last night I released the 2nd row for my daughters to get into the 3rd row but the 2nd row seat (passenger side) won't lock back into position on the floor. When I get under the seat and look there are two kind of hooks or latches, one is open and one is closed. I guess the closed one is supposed to be open to latch onto the anchor but I don't know how to get it to open now. Obviously tried pressing the release on the back of the seat multiple times. Slid seat forward and back. Any ideas?

Hoping someone has fixed a similar issue before rather than waiting for service appointment.

This is a 3 row model Y. Last night I released the 2nd row for my daughters to get into the 3rd row but the 2nd row seat (passenger side) won't lock back into position on the floor. When I get under the seat and look there are two kind of hooks or latches, one is open and one is closed. I guess the closed one is supposed to be open to latch onto the anchor but I don't know how to get it to open now. Obviously tried pressing the release on the back of the seat multiple times. Slid seat forward and back. Any ideas?
Having the same problem— were you able to come up with a solution?

Having the same problem— were you able to come up with a solution?
I’m also having a problem where my drivers side second row won’t tilt and release from the hooks so no access to the 3rd row from the drivers side. I can here the motor engaging so I’m thinking it might be an issue with one of the cables. I have a service appointment this Wednesday to address and will report back.

I found a video with someone having an issue on the passenger side and he found a broken cable. Check this out.

Were you able to fix this? I have exact same problem.

I had this issue with middle row seat directly behind driver side. I will post video on how I was able to fix the issue on my Model Y. In my case, one of the locking latches on the bottom part of seat, seemed to have gone further out in the opposite side of where it needed to be. This is near the bottom part of seat closest to door. Look under both driver and passenger middle row seats, specifically the working seat, to see what position latch needs to be in. I ended up pushing the seat gently and slightly up in order to pull back latch in to position and this took care of my problem.

I had this issue with middle row seat directly behind driver side. I will post video on how I was able to fix the issue on my Model Y. In my case, one of the locking latches on the bottom part of seat, seemed to have gone further out in the opposite side of where it needed to be. This is near the bottom part of seat closest to door. Look under both driver and passenger middle row seats, specifically the working seat, to see what position latch needs to be in. I ended up pushing the seat gently and slightly up in order to pull back latch in to position and this took care of my problem.
Yes, I believe what you’re talking about ended being the cause of my problem. Tesla came by and replaced the parts that had warped to allow the latching mechanism to go past where it was supposed to be. I think a video would be great as a reference in case others end up having the same problem

Can you post the video on how to fix this? Having the same issue!

I have the same problem since the first week I pick up model Y from the dealer on Jan 2023, the 2nd row seat won't lock back into the position on the floor. I brought the car back for the services. today 2023/03/18 the same problem come back again.

I have a new model Y 7 seat. I got a rh seat not latched warning on the screen along with obnoxious tones. I fiddled with the hooks and somehow managed to have one closed and now can't get it to open. The service center is 1.5 hours away and I think I would go bananas listening to the bong..bong..bong until I got there. First, does anyone know how to free up the hook and second, is there any way to silence the alert?

Last edited:
I also have the same problem of the 2nd row seats behind the driver’s seat being stuck, cannot move forward or backward which doesn’t allow the seat to unlatch forward. Also, the the side release no longer releases as well as the middle seat on the second row. I do hear the release on the top of the seat working but still unable to move the seat forward or backward. When I looks at the rails and compare to the working side it looks like the metal lever that releases the seat is stuck when you pull on the metal bar under the seat that allows the swat to move. Have a service appointment next week. Did Tesla finally fix your issues permanently?

I have a 2023 Model Y I just bought in Dec 2023 and I'm having the same issues as everyone on here. I have a service appointment after Christmas. I'll post back what they say.

I found the below video Helpful. I'm going to try it. I hope this helps someone.