Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it'll work,

I said I think it should work... I'm not saying it *will* work. But also, how are you going to get touchscreen inputs back to the phone hidden in the frunk? You say it's easy to remote to a phone... I supposed that's android?

So let me get this straight.. your objective is to have a 'display only' version of waze on the 17" touchscreen.. so you're going to wire up two camera switches, and have one camera+phone box contraption feeding the the two switches then to the touchscreen, and another phone in the cabin to remote into the other phone to control Waze. Why not just use Waze on your regular phone like the rest of us? Or mount an iPad to the passenger side dashboard/decor trim, leaving the Tesla touchscreen for the media player or other apps. Is your name Rube by any chance?

I know at least two people that let their mounted front cam go when they sold their Tesla and ordered another. They they regretted it.
One of those two guys tried to get permission to take it off when he realized what he had lost. The buyer said it was a deal breaker.
Having a spare is a really good idea. (I do too.)

I bought a spare kit from @artsci two+ years ago just to have as a backup "just in case" because I knew I couldn't live without that front camera. Little did I know that one year ago I was going to sell my first car and buy a P85D... so I could sell the first car including the front camera kit, and install the backup on my new car.

Since it'll work, now the only question mark is how to get the fisheye lens off of the camera, I've never tried to pull it apart but that won't be helpful for a macguyver'd waze.

I should also mention that the video image from the camera is reversed (since it's actually a rear-view camera), so for your camera+cell phone 3D printed contraption, you'll actually need to make a camera+mirror+cell phone contraption so the Waze image is properly displayed on the touchscreen.

Or learn to use Waze in a mirror image.

Bump!

In order to summarize 20 pages for new readers of this-

For ~$350-400 you can add a front-facing camera that is directly integrated with the 17" MCU in any year Model S/X. It integrates with HomeLink and switches from rear to forward camera when you approach a HomeLink GPS point. Also, it integrates with the Reverse can bus signal so when you put the car in reverse, you see the rear view, when you put in drive, you get the front view.

This does not impact AP/EAP/FSD functionality as the rear camera feed goes to the AP ECU first before going to MCU. As such, AP will always work.

It's a great modification that is simple and requires no programming. As simple as a dash cam install.

Who will be our next 14 reservations so we can get the batch ordered!?! I know there are more DIY guys out there that love these types of projects. Reserving the kit requires a $100 deposit. Please PM @artsci to make a deposit.

I should also mention that the video image from the camera is reversed (since it's actually a rear-view camera), so for your camera+cell phone 3D printed contraption, you'll actually need to make a camera+mirror+cell phone contraption so the Waze image is properly displayed on the touchscreen.

Or learn to use Waze in a mirror image.
The reddit thread did mention a mirror... I still don't know what's so good about that app vs. just mounting your phone in a Proclip mount and using real Waze. But I've never use the Tesla 'version'. :D

So let me get this straight.. your objective is to have a 'display only' version of waze on the 17" touchscreen.. so you're going to wire up two camera switches, and have one camera+phone box contraption feeding the the two switches then to the touchscreen, and another phone in the cabin to remote into the other phone to control Waze. Why not just use Waze on your regular phone like the rest of us? Or mount an iPad to the passenger side dashboard/decor trim, leaving the Tesla touchscreen for the media player or other apps. Is your name Rube by any chance?.

You got it, it's very easy to remote to android, maybe iphone but I haven't tried. I have lots of large old phones I don't use, and I'm a tinkerer, so this is no issue for me.

I already use the waze on my pocket phone, then I had a permanently suction-cup attached tablet on the bottom window portion of the MCU screen. Then I used tesla waze at the same spot. Actually displaying real waze in the camera window would be ideal for me. I don't navigate with Waze, so I wouldn't usually have any interaction with the always-on frunk phone but I could remote as necessary if I wanted to change settings.

It's not ideal, but until there's a better way to make use of Tesla's screen this is the cleanest way I've thought of to put waze on the dashboard.

There was a company claiming to input video directly to the video through a proprietary box, but the thread here makes them sound like a scam.

You got it, it's very easy to remote to android, maybe iphone but I haven't tried. I have lots of large old phones I don't use, and I'm a tinkerer, so this is no issue for me.

I already use the waze on my pocket phone, then I had a permanently suction-cup attached tablet on the bottom window portion of the MCU screen. Then I used tesla waze at the same spot. Actually displaying real waze in the camera window would be ideal for me. I don't navigate with Waze, so I wouldn't usually have any interaction with the always-on frunk phone but I could remote as necessary if I wanted to change settings.

It's not ideal, but until there's a better way to make use of Tesla's screen this is the cleanest way I've thought of to put waze on the dashboard.

There was a company claiming to input video directly to the video through a proprietary box, but the thread here makes them sound like a scam.

Well, if it will sell more Front Camera switches (two at a time even), then I'm all for it!

Where’s this mount? Will it stay clean enough to be useful?

If you are asking about the ProClip mount for your phone, this is the one for the X. The S version would be similar. Note that you would also need to buy a separate device holder to attach to the mount.
2017 Tesla X Dashboard Mounts | ProClip USA

I have the Center Dash mount on mine and it is super easy to install. The only thing is that it does block that air vent, but I am fine with that. It is a sold mount and can be removed easily if needed without leaving any marks.

Where’s this mount? Will it stay clean enough to be useful?

I have my front camera mounted on the grille in the facelift front. Had a shop cut out a space for it. Believe me it stays much cleaner in there than the rear camera. I almost never need to clean it.

If you are asking about the ProClip mount for your phone, this is the one for the X. The S version would be similar. Note that you would also need to buy a separate device holder to attach to the mount.
2017 Tesla X Dashboard Mounts | ProClip USA

I have the Center Dash mount on mine and it is super easy to install. The only thing is that it does block that air vent, but I am fine with that. It is a sold mount and can be removed easily if needed without leaving any marks.

I think you're confusing a phone mount for the front camera mount.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
I have my front camera mounted on the grille in the facelift front. Had a shop cut out a space for it. Believe me it stays much cleaner in there than the rear camera. I almost never need to clean it.

Can you show a picture of the cutout? I'd like to do the same thing.

Someone did mention the ProClip mount in a couple of posts before that one so I thought I'd just throw it in there in case that was what they were referring to. :)

IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0059.jpg
Will shoot a photo and post tonight.

Here are the photos of my install for the Tesla front camera in the grille. Several slats are cut out and a touch of glue keeps it in place. The smaller camera above it is for the 360 degree overhead view.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca and BigD0g