Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will there be instructions for thr canbus kit? Thx to you both!

There will be a video soon, and printed instructions after that.

On Monday all but 7 of the switch and cable orders will ship. If you ordered and haven't received a shipping and tracking email today, it means your order will not ship until we receive the final batch of custom cables, likely in about two weeks.

We also have 7 switches left and about the same number of custom cable sets. For anyone interested in ordering you can have the switch and cable sets before Christmas. Each switch is $200 and the cable sets are another $50. Shipping is $15. So if you'd like to order, please PM me for instructions.

• Love
Reactions: appleguru
For anyone interested in this project, you also have to acquire the tesla camera part (from Tesla or Amazon)

I have two extra for sale. I have one I bought from Amazon that works perfectly. I paid $38. Asking $30.

I have another "High Res" camera that came off my own Model S. I'm asking $50 for it. Also works.

Either of those cameras will work for your front camera in this project.

Reactions: appleguru
Very cool. What HDMI to Lightning adapter you use? Just an adapter at the box then a standard cord?
I'm testing a few - I have a generic USB/Smartphone to HDMI dongle adapter from amazon. It's ok. I am ordering Apple's official dongle today, and, I just received word from @BearBu that he has at least one guy that has had success with a product from MiraScreen.com <- those look very interesting indeed. I'll order one and see how it goes.

I'm testing a few - I have a generic USB/Smartphone to HDMI dongle adapter from amazon. It's ok. I am ordering Apple's official dongle today, and, I just received word from @BearBu that he has at least one guy that has had success with a product from MiraScreen.com <- those look very interesting indeed. I'll order one and see how it goes.
Sweet. Keep us posted. Something wireless would be awesome - was this the one they confirmed?

Brand-New Cool MiraScreen K6 Wifi Display TV Dongle, Dual Band 2.4G/5G 4K HD Display No Need Mode Switching Support Airplay Miracast DLNA

For anyone interested in this project, you also have to acquire the tesla camera part (from Tesla or Amazon)

I have two extra for sale. I have one I bought from Amazon that works perfectly. I paid $38. Asking $30.

I have another "High Res" camera that came off my own Model S. I'm asking $50 for it. Also works.

Either of those cameras will work for your front camera in this project.

Hi I’m interested in the Hi-Res Camera. Is it still avail? I just signed up, don’t think I can PM

There will be a video soon, and printed instructions after that.

On Monday all but 7 of the switch and cable orders will ship. If you ordered and haven't received a shipping and tracking email today, it means your order will not ship until we receive the final batch of custom cables, likely in about two weeks.

We also have 7 switches left and about the same number of custom cable sets. For anyone interested in ordering you can have the switch and cable sets before Christmas. Each switch is $200 and the cable sets are another $50. Shipping is $15. So if you'd like to order, please PM me for instructions.

Hi - I’m unable to PM since I’m new, interested in purchasing... how can I connect with you directly to buy from you?

CAN Bus Kits are now officially sold out. Had a small delay (was missing a few parts) for the last few orders, but those should arrive tonight. So if you haven’t yet received tracking from me your order should go out tomorrow.

If anyone else is interested in a CAN bus kit, please PM me. If we get enough interest I could do a second run.

And @artsci may still have some camera switchers available, so don’t forget to message him if you want one!

Anyone have tips on how to find the rear camera connector? I have a late 2016 Model S (AP2). Is it on the drivers side or passenger side? I've torn up the whole passenger foot well trying to find the connector, and I don't see anything there.

Edit: ok, finally figured out where it is located. You have to remove the glove box completely, and the ECU is above it.

This video gives information on how to remove the glovebox:

Last edited:
Anyone have tips on how to find the rear camera connector? I have a late 2016 Model S (AP2). Is it on the drivers side or passenger side? I've torn up the whole passenger foot well trying to find the connector, and I don't see anything there.

On AP2 you want to connect after the autopilot engine behind the glovebox:

(I need to update this video, but this should help):

There is a connection in the drivers footwell too, but it is before the APE so you don’t want to use that one.

Reactions: Akikiki