Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't speak 100% to artsci plans. The original switch kit he helped us get included a bluetooth handheld remote controller, that connected to an internal component in the PCB switch, that allowed us to swap the view on the front to rear and rear to front. That's one way to control the current view with less wire running/installing.

If that remote does not come with it, you are going to want your switch to be connected to a backup light signal lead (like the one that turns on the backup lights on the liftgate). On the Model S '13-14, maybe '15's, the original instructions explained and easy place to tap into that. On a '13-14, maybe '15, its just a matter of pulling the kickpad on the right and tapping into a wire under the carpet, then running the wire to the PCB switch on the left side. Read the instructions two or three times, look at the car I estimate it will take 2 hours or less. Just my opinion.

On my '17, that place did not exist. I used the remote from my old kit for a month until a thunderbolt struck me and I realized i could tap into the backup lights in the liftgate. Which now brings me to help you with your question. Installing a wire from the backup lights in the liftgate, running the wire, that is 12v, from the backup lights through the liftgate boot, across the side/back window area, up towards the front of the car, to the dash and under the left side of the dash just to connect it to the "reverse" post on the PCB Switch is going to double the effort to install the front cam completely versus without that connection to the backup lights. So, without that connection, $350 is too much IMO, and with the connection, YES worth the $350. Its worth the $350 to get it installed even after you bought all the parts. I think Hank will continue to agree, its the best most practical mod you can do to your S or X and will help you prevent 5-10 times its value in damage. Again, help you prevent, its not going to do anything unless you are paying attention to the curb/walls.

Knowing what I know about how I benefit every day using the front cam even with the image reversed, yes its worth every dime, including $350 if I did not do it myself. Remember its the rear cam mounted on the front) it does not correct itself. We really don't care that the image is reversed, because we don't care which side 12-24 inches left or right of center of the front bumper/front splitter is close to the curb or wall. You want to know when you get close so you can stop.

Helpful?
You guys are indeed helpful...But to show how thick I am...If you turn on the forward camera by putting the car in reverse -- are you looking the right way? Do you get a choice of putting the forward camera on the upper part of the display, and the back up on the lower? Did I get it right that you can turn on Forward by setting up a driver profile on Home-link?

Maybe I will wait until I am installing the Blackvue dashcam, and EVannex extra bright lights - and have all these done in one panel pulling event.

You guys are indeed helpful...But to show how thick I am...If you turn on the forward camera by putting the car in reverse -- are you looking the right way? Do you get a choice of putting the forward camera on the upper part of the display, and the back up on the lower? Did I get it right that you can turn on Forward by setting up a driver profile on Home-link?

...If you turn on the forward camera by putting the car in reverse - Ans: When you put the car in reverse, you see the behind the car view on the screen.
Do you get a choice of putting the forward camera on the upper part of the display, and the back up on the lower? ANs: No, the PCB Switch splits the signal before it get to the screen. You are control which view goes to the screen, but its whatever depending on Park/Drive or Reverse, i.e., front or rear. If you don't have the "live screen" up but instead have nav or browser, you don't see either view.
Did I get it right that you can turn on Forward by setting up a driver profile on Home-link? Yes, but honestly that seldom worked on my two cars. I used the bluetooth handheld remote to control it. I hung it using a short lanyard to the shift stalk.

Thanks Artsci - looking forward to placing my order with you. BTW - your installation PDF is 2014 and for a nose cone MS. Do you think the "yellow wire with purple stripe" instructions are still valid for a 2016 refresh?
Also, your PDF says to get "Tesla Camera Cable kit.Available from RFsupplier.com". I recall some confusion as to cables working/not working; buy this, not that. Could you make your switch kit complete - by including the proper cables and Posi-Taps for 18-22 gauge wire.?