Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I love your taste in music.

Second, I just might have to try that mounting angle.

Thanks! Would be great to see how others try this angle so I can improve on mine.

I think I am going to try this as well. For me the forward aspect does not really help much and I am thinking a 45 degree angle might be what is needed.

Totally agree. I was thinking about the rear camera when I decided to try this.

Just a quick alert or reminder for those that have installed the camera and the corresponding giraffe/panda from @appleguru

This is actually a complete platform. It's kind of overkill to just handle the camera switch interface IMHO but wait...

There are endless possibilities with this setup for those super techies who are so inclined. I am just starting to dip my toe into the water to see what it does and how it works.

OBD for work

@appleguru do you have a separate thread for this adapter where we can start discussions on extensions and best practices?

Reactions: appleguru
My menu button suddenly stopped working. My camera is working for rear when in reverse and front when in drive, but the menu button is not toggling the switch. I unplugged the giraffe/panda for 1/2 hour thinking that might reset it but I really don't know where the fault is. I really cannot get access to the switcher because it is buried.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get this freed up or at least confirm that the giraffe/panda is OK?

Just wondering. Does your handheld remote still work? Did you program your Homelink to switch? Does it still work?
Yes it doe and thanks for asking. I stuck it in the glovebox after programming it and forgot all about it.
But this sounds like a job for our neighborhood spidey guy, "appleguru".
I'll probably have to tickle him. He has been helping me look for another use of the Panda and I probably wonked it in the process.:confused:

My menu button suddenly stopped working. My camera is working for rear when in reverse and front when in drive, but the menu button is not toggling the switch.
Well it turns out I was wrong, sort of. The menu button switching will not work on MY car if the car is plugged into the charger.

Disconnect the charger cable and all is as it should be.:oops:

If anyone is looking for a complete setup, I pulled mine before replacing my Model S with a new one and decided I didn't use it enough to install again. Everything needed to install - $350. Please message me if interested. Not interested in splitting up parts.

Attachments

• IMG_E8077.JPG
    IMG_E8077.JPG
    652.2 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: aesculus
As interest appears to be sufficient to justify another production run of the front/rear camera switch WhiteP85 and I developed a few years ago, I'm now getting estimates for another run of 100. Basically a second Tesla camera is mounted on the front of the car and the switch changes the image on the touchscreen from rear to front whenever the driver wants to see low obstacles like curbs that might damage the front bumper. Here's a pretty detailed description on Teslarati about the first version. In order to install the kit one needs a 2nd Tesla rear camera, 3 Tesla camera cables (the same ones that connect the rear camera), and a few miscellaneous parts.

I'm getting estimates now for production of the PCB that makes it all happen. Should have them in 30 days.

I have a new 2019 Model X long range and would like to be able to have a front camera view so my wife can park the car front end first in our fairly tight garage. Is there a kit with necessary parts and DIY instructions I can obtain? Please advise.

I have a new 2019 Model X long range and would like to be able to have a front camera view so my wife can park the car front end first in our fairly tight garage. Is there a kit with necessary parts and DIY instructions I can obtain? Please advise.
I believe I may have my kit available for sale as I no longer use it. Will know more in about a week or so.

Has anyone with the front camera installed noticed major issues after the 2019.32.12.1 / 2019.32.12.3 updates? Now when I switch to reverse:
- much longer delay to show the camera
- first I see a front camera for a half second
- then display blanks
- then back camera displays

Also, I get times where the entire main screen goes off and then comes back on when switching between cameras. This never happened until the most recent updates.

Anyone else have this issue? I assume this isn't an MCU/screen problem but rather related to the car firmware combined with the camera setup.

Has anyone with the front camera installed noticed major issues after the 2019.32.12.1 / 2019.32.12.3 updates? Now when I switch to reverse:
- much longer delay to show the camera
- first I see a front camera for a half second
- then display blanks
- then back camera displays

Also, I get times where the entire main screen goes off and then comes back on when switching between cameras. This never happened until the most recent updates.

Anyone else have this issue? I assume this isn't an MCU/screen problem but rather related to the car firmware combined with the camera setup.

I'm on 32.12.3 two days. Had .2 and .1 Have seen none of those things you described. And I've only got Smart Summon to work once. Each time I have tried other times, I get an error telling there's an issue with the camera. It doesn't tell me side, windshielf/front or rear. So, I don't know if my front camera with it switched to front and not allowing rear to feed might be the issue. I need to go back and manually switch the front to rear so it stays rear and test again.

So if you are having Smart Summon problems, ref: cameras, I recommend you switch to rear camera on and try again. I will let you know after I test same.

I'm on 32.12.3 two days. Had .2 and .1 Have seen none of those things you described. And I've only got Smart Summon to work once. Each time I have tried other times, I get an error telling there's an issue with the camera. It doesn't tell me side, windshielf/front or rear. So, I don't know if my front camera with it switched to front and not allowing rear to feed might be the issue. I need to go back and manually switch the front to rear so it stays rear and test again.

So if you are having Smart Summon problems, ref: cameras, I recommend you switch to rear camera on and try again. I will let you know after I test same.

Thanks, nothing to do with Smart Summon for me. I have AP1 so not even an option.

The issue persists, I have tried rebooting the main screen and the main screen + dash screen. I have also tried unplugging the switcher box from the OBD port and replugging it. Quite frustrating as everything was working smoothly before the recent updates and I certainly haven't touched anything else with the cameras.

Looks like my only option is to unplug the system and go back to rear camera only :(

Naw, give it time. Just because no one else as stepped up and reported, does not mean there are not others (doesn't everyone on earth read TMC?) It likely is manifesting itself another way that affects others. Another update will fix it.

I'd swap my front input for the rear input on the switch for a while. Let it default to the rear.

Last edited: