Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you want to clear this up. I'm working on getting the PC board, it's case, and the remote manufactured again.

Those who want to do this will be responsible for obtaining the cables (from Tesla), the extra rear camera (from Tesla and sources on eBay), and whatever else is required for installation (tools and various bits, which are commonly available).

As the installation of the PCB switch was done only on cars before the introduction of AP, someone with an AP car and extensive knowledge and experience will also have to volunteer to do an installation and modify the instructions accordingly.

Stay tuned. None of this can happened until we have a manufacturer and PCBs in hand.

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug
Glad you want to clear this up. I'm working on getting the PC board, it's case, and the remote manufactured again.

Those who want to do this will be responsible for obtaining the cables (from Tesla), the extra rear camera (from Tesla and sources on eBay), and whatever else is required for installation (tools and various bits, which are commonly available).

As the installation of the PCB switch was done only on cars before the introduction of AP, someone with an AP car and extensive knowledge and experience will also have to volunteer to do an installation and modify the instructions accordingly.

Stay tuned. None of this can happened until we have a manufacturer and PCBs in hand.
Thanks for the update, sign me up, it’s only money, and an excellent addition as has been stated!

any chance for an “improved” version that listens to CAN bus for the backup message instead of tapping into the backup light wire?

Sure, if someone wants to build it. Could be an add-on kit. All that's needed is a +12v signal (I think, it could be +5v) to go high when the reverse lights are on -- to be fed into the front camera switch input.

I believe right now @artsci is just trying to get the original board design reproduced without any re-engineering.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
This now has me worried. I have to locate a power line in my trunk to get my front camera working - and no one knows where an AP1 cars tap should be found?
I THOUGHT one simply ran the camera cord from front license plate into drivers footwell, tapped into the OBDII and the image appears on the main screen. It was the simplicity of this that had such great appeal. I might end up offering my amazon camera back for sale.

This now has me worried. I have to locate a power line in my trunk to get my front camera working - and no one knows where an AP1 cars tap should be found?
I THOUGHT one simply ran the camera cord from front license plate into drivers footwell, tapped into the OBDII and the image appears on the main screen. It was the simplicity of this that had such great appeal. I might end up offering my amazon camera back for sale.

Not exactly. You get POWER from the OBDII port.

My AP1 car (2014 P85D) the reverse tap lead was in the passenger footwell, just like the original instructions, although the wire color had changed.

On newer cars (we don't know the cutoff yet, possibly facelifted cars only), the tap for the reverse signal lead is not in the passenger footwell and one person found a lead to tap in the back hatch. There could be other more convenient locations to tap, we just haven't found them yet. The CAN bus tap is another option, but someone would have to build and sell that interface.

And you don't even need to tap the reverse signal unless you want to see "out the back" automatically when the car switches into reverse. You can use the supplied remote control to switch between front and back as needed. But that's a royal PIA.. you really want to tap the reverse lead so it's automatic.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Not exactly. You get POWER from the OBDII port.

My AP1 car (2014 P85D) the reverse tap lead was in the passenger footwell, just like the original instructions, although the wire color had changed.

On newer cars (we don't know the cutoff yet, possibly facelifted cars only), the tap for the reverse signal lead is not in the passenger footwell and one person found a lead to tap in the back hatch. There could be other more convenient locations to tap, we just haven't found them yet. The CAN bus tap is another option, but someone would have to build and sell that interface.

And you don't even need to tap the reverse signal unless you want to see "out the back" automatically when the car switches into reverse. You can use the supplied remote control to switch between front and back as needed. But that's a royal PIA.. you really want to tap the reverse lead so it's automatic.
hmmm. When I put my 2016.5 car in reverse, the top half of my screen shows a high def backup view. There is also a button that lets me turn this on as if it was a rear view mirror. I put a piece of white tape on my garage floor and when this tape appears in the camera, I know I'm deep enough into my garage to close the door. This is factory standard. I want a front camera to see parking bumpers and curbs and tool boxes. I'm willing to work a bit to get this - but after busting my chops to install a dash cam, just how much chops i've got left is yet to be tested. I'm hoping for a button to punch as I enter a parking slot head on to see how far I can advance. If there is a lot of overhead to get the camera on, then this parking dance will be over too soon.

Reactions: boaterva
There is a remote to switch between F+R cameras on demand. Otherwise, the touchscreen images shows the front camera all the time, except when your car is in reverse, it shows the rear camera.

I'd suggest going back and reading the original threads on the front camera install to see how they work. That will answer most of your concerns.

Most everyone I've spoken to (including me) says this is by far the best mod ever.

If this switch functions on Model X (2017) please include me as a guaranteed purchaser. I would use it for my “trailer cam” but I do not see what difference it would make to the switch as long as the signal is good enough over a longer run. Looking for a more detailed explanation of this implementation. It probably is here I just can’t find it yet.

In any case, you should be commended on the technical handiwork done to make this a reality!

It should work fine as a "trailer cam" but if you really want a simple trailer cam, you could probably just splice in a longer set on one of those amazon cams and plug it in where the stock rear cam already is without removing the original. Swap it back when not towing and leave the trailer cam on the trailer wit hthe pigtail for the car tied up safely to it when not in use. You wouldn't get the slick switching set up, but it would be immediate and easy.

Reactions: Akikiki
It should work fine as a "trailer cam" but if you really want a simple trailer cam, you could probably just splice in a longer set on one of those amazon cams and plug it in where the stock rear cam already is without removing the original. Swap it back when not towing and leave the trailer cam on the trailer wit hthe pigtail for the car tied up safely to it when not in use. You wouldn't get the slick switching set up, but it would be immediate and easy.
You might want something separate totally. People have had issues getting the signal to work over the long cable length needed through a trailer using the current camera/signal/cable type. A complete different system might be a good idea.

Just saying don’t assume you can extend the signal to the end of a long trailer without testing it!

It reverses the front feed as well, no? I think a simple mirror-box to reverse it back to correct would help, and if the AP1 grille hole is large enough I could probably use the radar box dimensions to try and draw one up that mounts to the stock location there.

I suppose I don't need the controller circuitry to test that, I'll draw one up right away.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Since I don't have the controller any way and this sort of thing is a hobby for me, I'll try it out for the fun of it and release the files if it looks OK, that way anyone else can use it or not. I figure if you're already wiring up the front, why not screw it in at the radar location and skip a minor annoyance.

Reactions: JohnnyG