Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HankLloydRight and NGO FEAR have taken me up on my offer to submit a second deposit if they would do the same. Thanks, guys! If crebelo comes through on his deposit, that should get us to 47 -- three deposits to go! Before I trigger my paypal deposit, I want to beat the bushes one final time -- c'mon folks, there have to be others who want to join our gang of three. Perhaps we can convince artsci to sign one of the components for the double purchasers, giving us "Signature" editions of the board kit ;) (or provide some other incentive). I'll let this go on for another 24h, and then nudge HankLloydRight and NGO FEAR to submit their deposits along with me. Thanks again, guys!

This is very generous. I'm going to make a deposit myself.

Ok, HankLloydRight, you jumped the gun -- so I just sent in my second deposit as well. Thanks, artsci, for joining us!
And as HankLloydRight put it so well, this is speculation, not generosity! I'm convinced the moment the board goes into production, a dozen folks will show up moaning about how they missed out. That's when we duplicate purchasers will pass along our second boards at a small profit. Make that a huge profit. :D

So here I nudge NGO FEAR to send in his second deposit when he can. We must closing in on 50 deposits, no? And all of you fence-sitters: go back through the relevant threads and see how many owners of the first board run testify that this is easily the best single add-on they installed in their Tesla (and this version is going to be even better, due to the work by appleguru [and others?] that will allow the console camera view to be toggled by a signal from the CANBUS, making installation simpler!). Don't miss out, or risk ending up getting gouged by me, HankLloydRight, NGO FEAR, and artsci! :cool:

Last edited:
Sent in mine as well... We gotta be close now 8)

On a related note... I planned to do more testing with my CAN bus solution over the weekend, but couldn't find any of my gear. I clearly put it all in one super obvious place for safe keeping before I left for the airport a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

If anyone has any brilliant ideas where my panda + camera + cables + camera testing board are... I'm open to any and all suggestions... Have looked everywhere; this is seriously driving me nuts :(

On the good news side, the chassis CAN bus actually *is* present on the OBD port, just not on the usual pins. So that is likely going to be the easiest place to connect. Still working on a design (likely a cable with some electronics in it) that makes it easiest for you guys to connect... Happy to share details/components for anyone that wants/would prefer to DIY once I have it all sorted!

Hi all,

I have been watching this thread and was/am on the fence. I want to jump in but my worry is the installation (my car is X). Does it require removing the MCU? Is there an installation guide for S that I can look at to have a general idea (I tried to look for it, I may have missed it)? I’m guessing it’s about the same for X too (and I saw that someone has already volunteered).

Thanks!

The list of participants who have either submitted a second deposit, or indicated their intention to do so, has now reached seven in number: myself, HankLloydRight, NGO FEAR, artsci, appleguru, bayareadriver, and Sandman1962. The Magnificent Seven (tossing modesty aside)!

This should push the total deposits to the magic number required to initiate manufacture of the printed circuit boards: 50 (quite aside from any additional one-off deposits that renewed attention to this thread may have generated). Hurray -- thanks, folks!! Of course, we can't open the champagne until we get the official count from artsci.

Next, we need to form a task force to invade appleguru's home to find his missing CANBUS testing rig :D.

Reactions: JohnnyG
We went over the top on deposits this morning, so I authorized production immediately. The manufacturer is stating a 12-16 week production time, so it looks like we’ll be shipping sometime in September. We’ll be producing 75 units, as I suspect there will be more demand along the way. Once I know final production costs I’ll email all of those with deposits the final balance due.

Appleguru tells me the CANBUS cable for the reverse signal is a go. There should be a pre-made kit and a DIY option. He tells me the pre-made kit will be about $200 and the DIY less. Final costs are not yet determined, as he’s thinking about ways to lower them. Of course, there’s also the option of running a line to the taillights themselves to tap the reverse signal. If you’re a DIY, that costs nothing except your time.

I keep the nav and radio on my screen all the time. The backup turns on of course when I go in reverse. It would be amazing if we can somehow make the backup screen stay on for a timed delay of for example 10-15 seconds. This way the taillight would select reverse on your board and when you drive forward the car would remain with the screen up for a bit so front would show and then if you need to reverse again that would come up. I think that would be an amazing addition!

I keep the nav and radio on my screen all the time. The backup turns on of course when I go in reverse. It would be amazing if we can somehow make the backup screen stay on for a timed delay of for example 10-15 seconds. This way the taillight would select reverse on your board and when you drive forward the car would remain with the screen up for a bit so front would show and then if you need to reverse again that would come up. I think that would be an amazing addition!

There's no way to modify the MCU software like that (at least for most people).