Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shows? No, I don't think there are any pictures posted around here. But I explained earlier. Its on the right hand side. Remove the glove box and you can see all the Fakra connectors going into the AP engine. You won't find tag or labels to show you, but study it a bit, then look for one that is running from the left side of the APE towards the A pillar/right side of the car >toward the door hinges. You are in effect tracing it backwards toward the rear of the car. That where/how you will find it. Keep in mind, Tesla didn't put these cars together with us wanting to take them apart later. They are not concerned with marking stuff to make it easier for us. So we share.

After you find what is likely the right rear cam cable, trace it to the APE and you can unplug it. If you have the rear camera on the display, when it goes blank you know you found it. Study those Fakra connectors. Notice how the purple clip springs down, to allow it to be unplugged? You must do that to unplug these cables. Some are so hard to reach, you may need to unscrew the APE to get to the cable. I've lowered the APE a couple of times. Most of the time the fans on top of the APE have been running too, because it was powered. Its not for the faint of heart. If you are going to unscrew the APE and lower it for any reason, I highly recommend you at least, open the right side door, and let the car sit for about 10+ minutes until it shuts down on its own, call it going to sleep if you wish. Then the APE also is in a safer condition to lower/drop down. Yes, you can power down the car. Whatever you wish. My made my point. Be careful. Please.

@domodan Not sure if you are aware that the only way to get a kit is to buy it from someone that purchased it back when the project was active (2019)
You can always check the for-sale threads and maybe reach out to someone who posted that they were selling theirs.

. Can you point me towards something that shows where I can find this connection on a 2016 AP1 Model S?
Shows? No, I don't think there are any pictures posted around here. But I explained earlier. Its on the right hand side. Remove the glove box and you can see all the Fakra connectors going into the AP engine. You won't find tag or labels to show you, but study it a bit, then look for one that is running from the left side of the APE towards the A pillar/right side of the car >toward the door hinges. You are in effect tracing it backwards toward the rear of the car. That where/how you will find it. Keep in mind, Tesla didn't put these cars together with us wanting to take them apart later. They are not concerned with marking stuff to make it easier for us. So we share.

After you find what is likely the right rear cam cable, trace it to the APE and you can unplug it. If you have the rear camera on the display, when it goes blank you know you found it. Study those Fakra connectors. Notice how the purple clip springs down, to allow it to be unplugged? You must do that to unplug these cables. Some are so hard to reach, you may need to unscrew the APE to get to the cable. I've lowered the APE a couple of times. Most of the time the fans on top of the APE have been running too, because it was powered. Its not for the faint of heart. If you are going to unscrew the APE and lower it for any reason, I highly recommend you at least, open the right side door, and let the car sit for about 10+ minutes until it shuts down on its own, call it going to sleep if you wish. Then the APE also is in a safer condition to lower/drop down. Yes, you can power down the car. Whatever you wish. My made my point. Be careful. Please.

Are you describing an AP2+ car? It sure sounds like it. Getting to the camera cable in an AP1 Model S is very simple and outlined in the PDF directions posted in this thread many times, with photos.

This sounds like an AP2 car - my car has AP1.

I need help from the masterminds in this thread!
I installed my kit today with no issues. after connecting all the cables and programming one remote "D" button, I closed up everything. and was super exited.
Then I noticed the following:

1) With the remote the feed toggles properly from front to back with no issues
2) When I put the car in REVERSE, the video window pops up but shows the last feed that played.
3) Changing gears to DRIVE and Back to REVERSE- will NOT toggle the switch. - But if I press the remote it toggles....
4) Tried programming homelink - even though the car show a successful setup -and said it was programmed It only toggled the screen once and did not work anymore.
5) Long Pressing the menu button on the steering wheel does not do anything...

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Well. Good work so far. Two questions, and I hope @appleguru jumps in. 1. Where did you get power for the #3 terminal on the little green switch connector? Which brings me to #2. Are you using appleguru's hybrid (what is it called?) Python? It sounds to me like his device is not getting power.

You know, you can temp provide power to that #3 (12V) and it will toggle between front/rear cameras. You could test to see/insure the switch is working.

I need help from the masterminds in this thread!
I installed my kit today with no issues. after connecting all the cables and programming one remote "D" button, I closed up everything. and was super exited.
Then I noticed the following:

1) With the remote the feed toggles properly from front to back with no issues
2) When I put the car in REVERSE, the video window pops up but shows the last feed that played.
3) Changing gears to DRIVE and Back to REVERSE- will NOT toggle the switch. - But if I press the remote it toggles....
4) Tried programming homelink - even though the car show a successful setup -and said it was programmed It only toggled the screen once and did not work anymore.
5) Long Pressing the menu button on the steering wheel does not do anything...

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

I *think* using the remote has two modes:
Mode 1: Switches front to rear based on the reverse light terminal (or just front if no power on the reverse terminal)
Mode 2: Always Rear camera shown

So if you are in Mode 2, switching into or out of reverse won't have any effect, rear will always be shown.

Thank you @Akikiki - the power is coming from the obd / panda adapter. I checked and it has lights on - later today I will try later today putting power to #3 (12v) and check…

Thanks @HankLloydRight how do I change the to mode 1 and 2?

Attachments

• 6973A88B-AEE8-4FA5-B213-F1722F6F551A.jpeg
    6973A88B-AEE8-4FA5-B213-F1722F6F551A.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: Akikiki
Watching appleguru's video again - I noticed that my panda was not all the way in into the Circuit board module.
I went ahead and pushed it all the way in and now the switch toggles!! thanks all! still need to figure out why holding the Menu button on the steering will does nothing.

This IS the menu button correct?

ScreenShot4028.jpg

Watching appleguru's video again - I noticed that my panda was not all the way in into the Circuit board module.
I went ahead and pushed it all the way in and now the switch toggles!! thanks all! still need to figure out why holding the Menu button on the steering will does nothing.

This IS the menu button correct?

View attachment 794022
What year is your car? I forget the exact date cutoff, but tesla changed the steering wheel buttons from LIN to CAN at some point; the adapter is listening for the CAN bus messages, so if you have LIN buttons it won’t be able to see that you’re holding the button down.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Its a Nov 2015 Build

This morning - nothing was working, So I unplugged the unit from the OBD port for a few seconds and plugged it back in.
Now EVERYTHING WORKS! even the menu button! (the only thing left is the homelink - but I can live without it. Thank you guys for all the help!! @appleguru @Akikiki @HankLloydRight - you ROCK!! What a great addition to my S.