Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is, BY FAR, the best possible mod for earlier Model S/X.

I was really hoping Tesla would incorporate a front parking camera in the refresh, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I'd love to see this resurrected for MS/MX refresh/Plaid, but it's not my forte.
F6B58D79-E7D6-4A60-B7AF-752E7F30A053_1_105_c.jpeg
Why not a thermal camera option? We find ours really useful for country driving in low light conditions to help pick out wildlife but also pedestrians and cyclists. This is SpeedIR hooked up similarly to the discussion thread using the original @BearBu system.
3E8AC996-15A8-4087-A981-D0EF5CE92D50_1_105_c.jpeg

Why not thermal. But that's not what we wanted at the beginning of artsci's project. In 2013 when all this started the S didn't have parking sensors. The front camera was a way to literally see how close we were coming to walls and parking bumpers. And even when parking sensors were added, they were too high on the nosecone, so they didn't help but about half the time. Specifically, didn't help with those parking bumpers. Many of us proceeded on our S's even with parking sensors, because the front cam complemented the parking sensors.

Most of us pointed the camera down and used it for right in front of the car. It was never very useful looking down the road in front of us. Why you ask? Because it was a rear camera mounted on the front. Why did that matter, you ask? Glad you asked, because the image of the rear camera mounted on the front was reversed on the screen. The left was on the right, the right on the left. Weird to drive down the road and see oncoming cars facing us, as they passed us (of course on our left/driver side) appear on the right hand side of the screen. Really weird, Took some getting used to.

Many of us in those early days saved the front, the nosecone and the lower splitter on the S by being able to see what we were about to hit, and stop. That's what we miss about it. I am pretty sure that too is what @HankLloydRight llyodRight missed too.

Why not thermal. But that's not what we wanted at the beginning of artsci's project. In 2013 when all this started the S didn't have parking sensors. The front camera was a way to literally see how close we were coming to walls and parking bumpers. And even when parking sensors were added, they were too high on the nosecone, so they didn't help but about half the time. Specifically, didn't help with those parking bumpers. Many of us proceeded on our S's even with parking sensors, because the front cam complemented the parking sensors.

Most of us pointed the camera down and used it for right in front of the car. It was never very useful looking down the road in front of us. Why you ask? Because it was a rear camera mounted on the front. Why did that matter, you ask? Glad you asked, because the image of the rear camera mounted on the front was reversed on the screen. The left was on the right, the right on the left. Weird to drive down the road and see oncoming cars facing us, as they passed us (of course on our left/driver side) appear on the right hand side of the screen. Really weird, Took some getting used to.

Many of us in those early days saved the front, the nosecone and the lower splitter on the S by being able to see what we were about to hit, and stop. That's what we miss about it. I am pretty sure that too is what @HankLloydRight llyodRight missed too.

Not only everything Akikiki said, but also, the front camera is the same as the rear camera pointing forward. It's an extreme fisheye lens that does not have "long distance" vision -- i.e. looking "down the road". The front camera kit served a very specific purpose. I'd also think that most people don't really need a long distance IR camera for driving out in the sticks, and more people would need a front parking cam to not damage their front bumpers.

Reactions: S-ALSET and Akikiki
Not only everything Akikiki said, but also, the front camera is the same as the rear camera pointing forward. It's an extreme fisheye lens that does not have "long distance" vision -- i.e. looking "down the road". The front camera kit served a very specific purpose. I'd also think that most people don't really need a long distance IR camera for driving out in the sticks, and more people would need a front parking cam to not damage their front bumpers.
CCE6A0B0-DFC6-4643-9CEB-E5811B99EDA2_1_102_o.jpeg
I was only contributing another aspect/opportunity of a switchable front camera. However, to your comment, "in the sticks" is exactly where we (as stick residents) find it is most useful to highlight people, deer, kangaroos, etc in limited visibility situations or on windy country roads (though it is also surprisingly useful to detect darting pedestrians in town). I have added an additional image to make this point.

For us, these situations are substantially more serious threats to the car, victim and occupants than a curb nudge; however, the IR camera implementation is otherwise identical to what is being discussed here and what initiated my taking this path.

Do you have a URL where that camera could be purchased? Plug and play with BearBu's system?
The very same system using the IR video output through a simple video->HDMI converter. There are a few IR systems now on the market, I used SpeedIR as it had the best pricing and availability at the time. Those with pre-facelift MS will find it easier to mount in the grille areas - though it is a tight fit.

Reactions: Russell

Got it. It is essentially the same system I used with a different camera input. Using an easily available wide angle video camera with the option to reverse the camera image (usually accomplished by cutting a wire - for guideline elimination too) it would work just the same with the toggle on the steering wheel. The only anomaly I found is that the end button on the cruise stalk may need to be reset by holding down 2-3 seconds to stop the image from flicking with each cruise set. I don't know the reason for this but as I seldom have the need for this button I just set it and forget it.

Hi all, been a long time

I can make a brand new one with AHD front camera input (720p only), can be either super wide angle 180degree viewing angle with fisheye correction, or either a normal viewing angle. Switching mechanism is same as the HDMI Interface box.

But minimum manufacturing quantity of 50set is required. Selling price is at US$250.00 (shipping cost excluded) , shipped from Shenzhen, China