TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2nd run of camera switch that show an front image on the touch screen

Discussion in 'Model S' started by artsci, May 28, 2017.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

As interest appears to be sufficient to justify another production run of the front/rear camera switch WhiteP85 and I developed a few years ago, I'm now getting estimates for another run of 100. Basically a second Tesla camera is mounted on the front of the car and the switch changes the image on the touchscreen from rear to front whenever the driver wants to see low obstacles like curbs that might damage the front bumper. Here's a pretty detailed description on Teslarati about the first version. In order to install the kit one needs a 2nd Tesla rear camera, 3 Tesla camera cables (the same ones that connect the rear camera), and a few miscellaneous parts.

I'm getting estimates now for production of the PCB that makes it all happen. Should have them in 30 days.

• Like x 10
    • Informative x 2
  2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

3. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Member

Count me in!

4. Brewcitpizza

Brewcitpizza Member

Let me know. I am interested.

Denver

5. Algbc

Algbc Member

I want one. But for model X!

• Like x 1
  6. Robbit

Robbit Member

I'd be interested! Do you also do installs? Timonium isn't too far from me.

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Sorry, I don't do installs any longer. But there is a shop near me that can do the job.

Should work with Model X as I think the rear camera system is the same. Just have to find the appropriate wiring.

8. Robbit

Robbit Member

That would work! I'll just keep an eye on this thread and message you after I order. :)

9. snd92

snd92 Member

Shipping to EU?

10. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

+1 Am interested but will need installer; I'm all thumbs when it comes to assembly.

11. andylyonette

andylyonette Member

+1 if you can arrange shipping to the UK.

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

We can ship anywhere.

13. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

artsci - count me in! (Again.... I had one for my 2012 Sig that I traded to Tesla)

14. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Count me in too.

As to people for looking for installation, there's probably a place like this in your area with good reviews. I've bought things off the internet and had them do the install. It's just not worth my time and effort, and sometimes frustration. I will also take this one and the instructions to this installer and I'm looking forward to that day.

Thanks for all of your innovations @artsci. If I may be so bold as to request another one: a recording device, with an accessible memory card slot, for the front and rear cameras -- if that's at all possible, and there's demand to make it worth your effort. I have a dual dashcam but it would sure be good to be able to add a recorder to the vehicle's rear camera and an added front camera.

• Like x 1
  15. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Awesome, count me in too!

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

#16 HankLloydRight, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Artsci and his crew tried to decode the video signal, but it's not in any usable or standard format to allow recording or injection of some other standard video signal. Also, even if it was a standard signal, writing usable dashcam software would be a quite a large undertaking for this project, IMHO. Sure you could record the signal to memory card but that's still adding more hardware, more software and at a minimum you'd need to build in automatic file rotation, maybe motion detection (or parking mode), settings of some sort (date/time?), a user interface (even if it's just buttons), etc. I believe Artsci is simply taking the existing V1 PC board and getting it reproduced, so no chance of re-engineering it.

Also, both the front and rear cam are extreme fish-eye view lenses, which aren't great at capturing detail beyond a couple of feet. So in addition to writing dashcam software, the onboard code would need to optically correct that perspective into a usable image compared to a regular dashcam. Or people would have to convert the saved videos after-the-fact, reducing the utility of such a device.

And then someone has to support it and update it when people start requesting more features or there are bugs (note: add USB port or Bluetooth for firmware updates!). The front camera switch is just a dumb switch, that's set-it-and-forget-it.. and really isn't meant to be a dashcam, so trying to make it into one I think isn't a great idea. Nobody is making any money on these things and several people are putting in lots of personal time and R&D to get these products out to the community just because they are awesome products. It's easy to say "oh, just add recording" but in reality, that's a huge undertaking all by itself. Leave the dashcam software to the dashcam makers. ;)

• Like x 1
  17. Sandman1962

Sandman1962 Member

I am in.
    For whatever reason, I have a hard time judging the actual distance I have in the front. The sensors have saved me yes, but not every time.

18. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

Yes, I am interested too. Thanks

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

You have it so right:)

20. Transcend

Transcend Member

@artsci. What is the cost?