Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Test drive thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placed my order last week after a short test drive, but still wanted to drive one again to answer a few questions. Since test vehicles are hard to come by right now, we drove an older Model Y. A few things I noticed that have now put me at 95% certain to 80% certain. Perhaps some of you who drive them every day can answer...

* The interior felt much smaller in the black interior vs the white. Test drove the white the first time & it felt much bigger.

* The seat did not feel as comfortable the 2nd time. Did anything change from the early models until now? For reference, I'm 6'1 and it felt like the seat would not go low enough. It very well could've been I didn't adjust it well enough before setting off.

* Both test drives were in a MYP (I ordered a MYLR). Second drive was locked to chill and creep mode. Definitely felt more sluggish & I didn't like creep mode vs hold. For that have driven both a P and LR, would a P in chill mode be more representative of a LR in standard mode?

For me the 2nd test drive is to look for things to NOT like about the car. The first one was the first time driving an EV, so it was just being enamored with the instant power, etc. I'm going from the wife's X5 and my Raptor, so specifically with the Raptor it's going to feel MUCH smaller. I get that. Was just surprised how much smaller the black interior felt vs the white.

Everyone always talks about what they love about the Tesla, and there are plenty of things to love. Tell me what you don't like. What would you change?

I agree with above comments. Tried to like chill but standard is so good, worth the range penalty.

I also thought I read somewhere that the P and. LR performance are very close considering the LR numbers are from 0 and P is rolling.

Chill mode basically limits 0-60 times to about 8 seconds. Compare that to the standard acceleration times of the MY LR of 4.8 (under ideal circumstances and a full charge). There is a world of difference between sub 5 sec 0-60 times and 8.

I am glad we went with black. Less reflection for the interior, fewer issues if you using a darker window tint and most importantly, fewer worries about the kids spilling something that we can't get out. Yea, I must have read 100+ posts, and a myriad of youtube vids, the white may be pretty good but it isn't impervious to stains.

So glad we went with black as I already had to deal with a cleanup in aisle 2 that I didn't even know about until 2 days later. Curious to see what effect that purple goo would have had on the seats if they were white.

I'm 6'1" and a tall seated height. No issues in our 2021. My eldest son is about 6'3" and he is good. This is one area where the MY is so much better than the M3. Seating and egress are a lot better.

Placed my order last week after a short test drive, but still wanted to drive one again to answer a few questions. Since test vehicles are hard to come by right now, we drove an older Model Y. A few things I noticed that have now put me at 95% certain to 80% certain. Perhaps some of you who drive them every day can answer...

* The interior felt much smaller in the black interior vs the white. Test drove the white the first time & it felt much bigger.

* The seat did not feel as comfortable the 2nd time. Did anything change from the early models until now? For reference, I'm 6'1 and it felt like the seat would not go low enough. It very well could've been I didn't adjust it well enough before setting off.

* Both test drives were in a MYP (I ordered a MYLR). Second drive was locked to chill and creep mode. Definitely felt more sluggish & I didn't like creep mode vs hold. For that have driven both a P and LR, would a P in chill mode be more representative of a LR in standard mode?

For me the 2nd test drive is to look for things to NOT like about the car. The first one was the first time driving an EV, so it was just being enamored with the instant power, etc. I'm going from the wife's X5 and my Raptor, so specifically with the Raptor it's going to feel MUCH smaller. I get that. Was just surprised how much smaller the black interior felt vs the white.

Everyone always talks about what they love about the Tesla, and there are plenty of things to love. Tell me what you don't like. What would you change?
Just gotta ask. Why go from a raptor to a compact SUV? Kind of a strange trade (huge difference obviously). Just curious. Wouldn’t you be more into the cyber truck or F-150 lightning?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Just gotta ask. Why go from a raptor to a compact SUV? Kind of a strange trade (huge difference obviously). Just curious. Wouldn’t you be more into the cyber truck or F-150 lightning?

I think the question was more why go from a BMW X5 to a Raptor. The vehicles before the X5 were an Audi Q7, Audi Q5, BMW 330XI... well, you get the idea. The Raptor was a middle of pandemic and I'm building a movie theater in our basement purchase. It's a ton of fun to drive, great for projects around the house, but just too big to navigate parking lots and tight streets.

When getting it I knew the resale value would be around what I paid for in 12-18 months, but what I didn't expect was the current used car market. I have multiple dealers calling me after I filled out the KBB contact info and am getting initial offers of $70-$72k. MSRP was $74k. So, the Raptor was a "rental" for me, and luckily I'll be around +20k once I sell it for the MY.

Still, I'm sure I'll miss the Raptor once the first big snow comes.

I think the question was more why go from a BMW X5 to a Raptor. The vehicles before the X5 were an Audi Q7, Audi Q5, BMW 330XI... well, you get the idea. The Raptor was a middle of pandemic and I'm building a movie theater in our basement purchase. It's a ton of fun to drive, great for projects around the house, but just too big to navigate parking lots and tight streets.

When getting it I knew the resale value would be around what I paid for in 12-18 months, but what I didn't expect was the current used car market. I have multiple dealers calling me after I filled out the KBB contact info and am getting initial offers of $70-$72k. MSRP was $74k. So, the Raptor was a "rental" for me, and luckily I'll be around +20k once I sell it for the MY.

Still, I'm sure I'll miss the Raptor once the first big snow comes.
I hear the Y does pretty great in the snow. TFL has one and they showed a big snow in Colorado running around in theirs. They do have snow tires. I intend to run snow tires as well so I think it will be fine. I’m currently on summer only tires.

Wouldn't worry about it. seems more a matter of changed perspective. First time exceeds your expectations but you raised the bar on what to expect the 2nd time around. Very few are disappointed with the Y overall. And then, there's the blonde Tesla test driver who kept hitting chill mode wondering why it wasn't getting any cooler in the car.

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot
It's difficult to drive smoothly in Standard mode and I think tires wear much faster in Standard mode. I pretty much only use Standard when passing or when giving demo rides. I'd really like a voice command "Set Acceleration to Standard" and it's reciprocal so when I needed to pass quickly I wouldn't need to go punching around on the screen.
Totally depends on how you apply your foot to the "go" pedal. There isn't some magic in chill mode that makes the motors more efficient and changes the rubber compound in the tires.

Accelerate and brake slower and it will always save energy and tires.

damn, giving up the raptor!

• interior size - it's an illusion, light colored interiors will feel more spacious
  • seats in the model Y haven't changed since launch (model 3 on the other hand has had a revision or two for the seats, particularly the rear ones)
  • MYLR should be fast enough, if not you do have the option of buying the boost software

Overall there's no showstopper that exists that I would say you need to consider. Car is missing a ton of bells and whistles and luxury features but I am happy to give it all up for the electrical motors. My biggest gripe is probably the lack of a proper rear cross traffic detection (also used for lane changes) and second one would be lack of a proper 360 camera system to help me park.

damn, giving up the raptor!

• interior size - it's an illusion, light colored interiors will feel more spacious
  • seats in the model Y haven't changed since launch (model 3 on the other hand has had a revision or two for the seats, particularly the rear ones)
  • MYLR should be fast enough, if not you do have the option of buying the boost software

Overall there's no showstopper that exists that I would say you need to consider. Car is missing a ton of bells and whistles and luxury features but I am happy to give it all up for the electrical motors. My biggest gripe is probably the lack of a proper rear cross traffic detection (also used for lane changes) and second one would be lack of a proper 360 camera system to help me park.
Agreed it blows me away. My wife’s friggen KIA PHEV has cross traffic and blind side warnings.

Agreed it blows me away. My wife’s friggen KIA PHEV has cross traffic and blind side warnings.

The cross traffic would be nice, but I don't see the point of blind side warnings. If you really need them it generally means your mirrors are set up wrong.

With that being said, the mirrors on the MY leave a lot to be desired. However, even with the crappy side mirrors and limited rear view, on my test drive, I didn't notice any blind spots.

Totally depends on how you apply your foot to the "go" pedal. There isn't some magic in chill mode that makes the motors more efficient and changes the rubber compound in the tires.

Accelerate and brake slower and it will always save energy and tires.
I'm amazed at how many folk just don't understand the stresses of instant EV torque: drivetrain, bearings, tires. Tires especially. If you stomp the go pedal from a standstill, you'll wear your tires VERY quickly. (Think of an electric drill/radial saw. Instant torque is actually kinda scary!!!)
I've got 10k on the OEM ContiPros, probably 1/3 worn. I have NEVER stomped from standstill, always "roll" into the throttle. (I wish they'd wear MORE quickly, want to upgrade, but I...just...can't...willfully...destroy...)