Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2x Powerwall+ (SW 21.20.6) Leader <-> Follower Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

First time caller.

Would anyone here have a Tesla app screenshot and Gateway screenshot of a 2x Powerwall+ setup?

I'm trying to see if my second Powerwall+(follower) is working correctly with the first Powerwall+ (leader).

I've had some weird configurations show-up on the mobile app and on the Gateway.

Q: Should I see two serial numbers listed? I only see one.

The system I have is:
1x 12.24 kW system
2x Powerwall+
1x Backup Gateway
SW: 21.20.6

Attachments

• Powerwall_Tesla_App.png
    Powerwall_Tesla_App.png
    585 KB · Views: 112
Solution
I dont have powerwall+, just regular powerwall 2s but only one serial number shows where you have it whited out in your screenshot. From memory, that may be the gateway serial number, not the serial number of either of your powerwalls
Hello!

First time caller.

Would anyone here have a Tesla app screenshot and Gateway screenshot of a 2x Powerwall+ setup?

I'm trying to see if my second Powerwall+(follower) is working correctly with the first Powerwall+ (leader).

I've had some weird configurations show-up on the mobile app and on the Gateway.

Q: Should I see two serial numbers listed? I only see one.

The system I have is:
1x 12.24 kW system
2x Powerwall+
1x Backup Gateway
SW: 21.20.6
Can you attach photo of your batteries and gateway? How long have you been operational?

Upvote 0
Can you attach photo of your batteries and gateway? How long have you been operational?
Sure thing see attached. The Tesla team told me to hard-reset the system yesterday and give it 24hrs to make sure "all was working correctly".

Each unit above the battery (I think these are the inverters) has it's own WiFi network signal.

The serial number listed in the Tesla app is the inverter unit above the first powerwall. Only the Powerwall 1 is connected to the home WiFi network and the second Powerwall seems connected to the first powerwall wifi network.

Attachments

• PowerWall_Plus_Setup.jpg
    PowerWall_Plus_Setup.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 0
Sure thing see attached. The Tesla team told me to hard-reset the system yesterday and give it 24hrs to make sure "all was working correctly".

Each unit above the battery (I think these are the inverters) has it's own WiFi network signal.

The serial number listed in the Tesla app is the inverter unit above the first powerwall. Only the Powerwall 1 is connected to the home WiFi network and the second Powerwall seems connected to the first powerwall wifi network.
Thanks Radius. Finalizing 12 panel / 2 PW+ system here in Massachusetts. Found only 1 PW+ system on YouTube. So each PW+ has integrated inverter/gateway above it. Backup Switch box must be to left. Nice small footprint.

Upvote 0
Thanks Radius. Finalizing 12 panel / 2 PW+ system here in Massachusetts. Found only 1 PW+ system on YouTube. So each PW+ has integrated inverter/gateway above it. Backup Switch box must be to left. Nice small footprint.
Yes that right, the Tesla installer crew said it was a new setup and they had the software engineering team onsite with them to install. I didn't realize it was that new.

At the moment the system is reaching Tesla's power generation guidelines of 80% of spec in summer weather 😁. I'm tracking down a little issue with the system on 'self-powered' mode in the Tesla app. At night it appears only one battery is discharging and the overall system hits 50% capacity left in the battery it then pulls power from the grid (even though the reserve power setting is at 20%). I managed somehow to login to the second inverter (customer login) and the setting for self-powered mode was not the same as the leader battery. Anyhow I'm sure a quick call to Tesla tomorrow will provide a fix.

Let me us know how you get on with your system!

Reactions: Bill Gilbrook
Upvote 0
Yes that right, the Tesla installer crew said it was a new setup and they had the software engineering team onsite with them to install. I didn't realize it was that new.

At the moment the system is reaching Tesla's power generation guidelines of 80% of spec in summer weather 😁. I'm tracking down a little issue with the system on 'self-powered' mode in the Tesla app. At night it appears only one battery is discharging and the overall system hits 50% capacity left in the battery it then pulls power from the grid (even though the reserve power setting is at 20%). I managed somehow to login to the second inverter (customer login) and the setting for self-powered mode was not the same as the leader battery. Anyhow I'm sure a quick call to Tesla tomorrow will provide a fix.

80% spec? I’ve never heard of this. Can you elaborate or DM me with this info?

Upvote 0

Radius, consider yourself lucky to get PW+ in CA. Many utilities pushing back against PW+. Just found out my electric utility here in Massachusetts not currently accepting hookups of PW+ systems. They’re saying problem resides with Tesla’s inability to properly configure or wire PW+ to their power network. Not clear to me, but it is a no go.

Upvote 0
Radius, consider yourself lucky to get PW+ in CA. Many utilities pushing back against PW+. Just found out my electric utility here in Massachusetts not currently accepting hookups of PW+ systems. They’re saying problem resides with Tesla’s inability to properly configure or wire PW+ to their power network. Not clear to me, but it is a no go.
Bill, I'd never heard of that before. I'd see on a YouTube video what showed an additional Telsa part connected to the back of the Smart Meter for a home with a new PW+ installation. I don't have that part installed on my home though.

The person in the video said that this was a problem that was causing a delay in the PTO (Permission To Operate) for them as the local utility was not happy with this part being there.

I'm definitely counting myself lucky 🙇‍♂️

Upvote 0