Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2” hitch receiver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first time posting and brand new Model X owner. What an amazing piece of technology...
Anyway, I'm sorry if this has been asked, I've searched but found no answer.
When we picked up the MX, I asked about purchasing a 2” hitch receiver. I do not need the "tow package" as I'm not planning to "tow" anything other than my own bike rack. The technician told me that I could not purchase the 2” hitch receiver by itself and that I had to buy the tow package ( Tesla — Tow Package ) for $1250 as the receiver itself (that used to cost $750) is no longer available.
Does anybody have any experience with this? Are there any other options/suggestions? I just want to be able to mount my bike rack!
Thanks!
Mario.

Congratulations and welcome. I was lucky to get the 2" reciever. It was discontinued later. There is a bike rack available on the website site, says requires precongrifured towing package or accessory hitch.
Tesla — Model X Hitch Rack.
Remember having seen after market bike rack.
Thanks! Unfortunately the receiver by itself seems to be discontinued so I'm out of luck. My bike rack is very similar to Tesla's (2" mount). Basically, I would really like to avoid spending a month's payment just to be able to mount my rack... Half a months payment would probably be ok though :)

2017 Tesla Model X Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite

This is what I purchased last month and procrastinated installing. I have a friend with the tools and experience required, but you may need to ask your SC or a Tesla body shop how much they will want to install. Now I am waiting on my X to get back from the SC to install mine.

Nice! This looks like the perfect solution and at a great price! Thanks.

Did you ever install the etrailer hitch Jason? Just wondering.
I was rather late to install it, thanks to Tesla Service taking 4 repeat visits to fix alignments in my driver door and trunk hatch, but I finally installed it a week ago. All went well, and it took about 2 and half hours to complete with a friend. We didn't even need the plastic trim tools called for. The only thing I wonder about are the lights in the bumper. I am not sure how to test them since moving the wires during our work. Anyone know a way to test those low rear lights?

From what I was told at the SC, although I can't confirm it since I haven't looked online for it, was there is a much stronger inside bumper reinforced piece that they replace on the one that came with the car. They would have to remove the rear bumper and whatever else they have to do just to put the receiver in. The X supposedly doesn't come with those reinforced metal points like in ICE cars where you can just bolt on that thick metal piece for the hitch. It's probably by design to generate more revenue.
It sucks for us that need bike racks for multiple family member backs. Also for the people with carbon fiber bikes since they can only be placed on those standing bike racks.

But it is what it is, I wish I had gotten the towing package but like someone said, hard to stomach one month's payment for it.

From what I was told at the SC, although I can't confirm it since I haven't looked online for it, was there is a much stronger inside bumper reinforced piece that they replace on the one that came with the car. They would have to remove the rear bumper and whatever else they have to do just to put the receiver in.
Not sure what the SC was meaning, but there is nothing special physically they add for Tow options other than a single piece hitch itself inside the bumper. The better 3rd party hitch costs less than $150 online. If you don't want to remove the bumper yourself, find a good body shop and ask how much for 2 hours of their time. One hour if they have already done one before. Your results will be better than the OEM hidden hitch in the end, unless you value removing the hitch adapter for aesthetics. I personally have no problem with seeing it under the bumper of any SUV.