Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.0 Battery Longevity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't received the full story yet.

I bought the BRA at purchase and my original battery died last summer. SC informed me the 3.0 would cost me $6k with BRA (as opposed to $29k). Now they've told me the new (3.5 as you say) upgrade is covered under BRA.
Unless they've found a way to drive down production cost, I don't see how this is possible.

I'll post information as I get it (maybe better to start a new forum thread on any new battery info)... right now, SC seems to be a better source than corporate.
The BRA specifically states that you get a 56kWh battery. The R80 was almost 80kWh. That was the justification for charging $6k. If they're not charging extra for the BRA then probably the so-called 3.5 pack is only 56kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
The BRA specifically states that you get a 56kWh battery. The R80 was almost 80kWh. That was the justification for charging $6k. If they're not charging extra for the BRA then probably the so-called 3.5 pack is only 56kWh.

Making a 3.5 with same capacity as they made batteries back in 2006? That would make no sense.. Unless it's significantly lighter...
And no way people would pay the full price (29k) for only some weight reduction.

If they used the Model 3 type of battery density, then I think a 56 kwh pack would be at least 300 pounds less than the original pack. Isn't the energy density now over 30% higher than before? That would decrease car weight over 10% and I bet would make a noticeable increase in acceleration and probably a very small increase in range over the original 244 miles. I'm not saying that I wouldn't prefer the extra range of an 80 kwh pack, but it would be compelling in a different way.

If they used the Model 3 type of battery density, then I think a 56 kwh pack would be at least 300 pounds less than the original pack. Isn't the energy density now over 30% higher than before? That would decrease car weight over 10% and I bet would make a noticeable increase in acceleration and probably a very small increase in range over the original 244 miles. I'm not saying that I wouldn't prefer the extra range of an 80 kwh pack, but it would be compelling in a different way.
The challenge is the Model 3 battery is taller and will not fit unless they completely redesign and remake the packs. Possible but also likely expensive. I hope they do something soon before the original packs start to fail. That will not be good PR for Tesla or the Model 3. As many people keep a car for over 10 years.

My guess is that they will make a 56kWh version and a larger version. Using the Model S and X cells would only provide about 56kWh, and they wouldn't fit either. In order to utilize the higher energy density of those cells Tesla is using a wider voltage range, as low as 2.75v. The Roadster can't charge a cell that's below 3.5v because it would exceed the limitations of the on-board charger.

There's also a size limitation due to a slightly different shape of the S and X cells. They are both 18650 but the ends of the cells are a different shape and wouldn't fit without changes to the Roadster sheet frames.

The challenge is the Model 3 battery is taller and will not fit unless they completely redesign and remake the packs. Possible but also likely expensive. I hope they do something soon before the original packs start to fail. That will not be good PR for Tesla or the Model 3. As many people keep a car for over 10 years.
Don't think it will affect PR for the Model 3 or any other Tesla vehicles, different chemistry. I'd say most people would imagine cells have improved in the last 10 years. In any case Tesla should come up with a better solution.

If they are truly going to put resources into a next gen battery pack, they NEED to also redesign and update the PEM. That is the weak link in the car design and proving to be a major issue with our cars. Yes, we have to have replacement battery packs, but it’s time to come up with a water cooled PEM with updated inverter tech similar to what is available in current production Tesla’s. Air cooled inverter is ancient tech and incredibly unreliable. I know this is wishful thinking on my part. How hard would it be to use the PEM blower as forced air for an air to coolant heat exchanger with an isolated loop running from the PEM down near the blower? Im guessing they will only do what is absolutely necessary to keep our cars running, but sure would be nice to improve the PEM.

If they are truly going to put resources into a next gen battery pack, they NEED to also redesign and update the PEM. That is the weak link in the car design and proving to be a major issue with our cars. Yes, we have to have replacement battery packs, but it’s time to come up with a water cooled PEM with updated inverter tech similar to what is available in current production Tesla’s. Air cooled inverter is ancient tech and incredibly unreliable. I know this is wishful thinking on my part. How hard would it be to use the PEM blower as forced air for an air to coolant heat exchanger with an isolated loop running from the PEM down near the blower? Im guessing they will only do what is absolutely necessary to keep our cars running, but sure would be nice to improve the PEM.
Really good idea, but I'd be happy if they just fix the PEM fan connector and the insulation under the power IGBTs.

I put down a $5k deposit a year ago, and roadster #618 has been at Tyco SC since Oct. awaiting PEM fan connectors. It doesn't seem like there's any progress being made. My main concern was bricking the battery as it sat unplugged for months. SC reps kept assuring me they wouldn't let that happen, but I was watching it via OVMS until battery reached 5% mid December, then they unplugged the OVMS. I didn't know about the $5k refund though.

> The old Roadster batteries were also pretty good, although not that good. For instance, my (second) original battery lost maybe 12.5% of its initial CAC in over 80K miles. . . . That's partly why I've been so disappointed with the 3.0 cells: I got spoiled by the original ones. [bolosky]

Indeed, I'd sure give my left (lug) nut for an old original-style 2.0 Roadster battery. TM was offering to rebuild Roadster packs with the original cells up through the summer of 2018 but this possibility has since dried up. Why did this happen and where were they getting these cells? Were they from Panasonic off the shelf (since the MS never used these same cells) and now Panasonic stopped making them?
--

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
> The old Roadster batteries were also pretty good, although not that good. For instance, my (second) original battery lost maybe 12.5% of its initial CAC in over 80K miles. . . . That's partly why I've been so disappointed with the 3.0 cells: I got spoiled by the original ones. [bolosky]

Indeed, I'd sure give my left (lug) nut for an old original-style 2.0 Roadster battery. TM was offering to rebuild Roadster packs with the original cells up through the summer of 2018 but this possibility has since dried up. Why did this happen and where were they getting these cells? Were they from Panasonic off the shelf (since the MS never used these same cells) and now Panasonic stopped making them?
--

Did they stop offering the Reman. 2.0 ESS? I just had one done in December '18, and to my knowledge they were still creating them. 6-8 week turnaround time here in Texas.

Not sure if it is due to winter and not a lot of driving, but my range seems to have stabilized.
Range_Graph.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
The healthiest charge for a lithium ion battery seems to be about 50%. If you are going to store your phone for an extended period, charge it to 50% before turning it off and storing it. This is easier on the battery than charging it to 100% or letting it drain to 0% before storage.

The battery, by the way, continues to degrade and discharge if the phone is turned off and not being used at all. This generation of batteries was designed to be used. If you think of it, turn the phone on every several months and top the battery up to 50%.

Tips to extend battery life

The tips above address battery lifespan directly. Battery lifespan is also affected by battery life, how long your phone lasts on a single charge. Improving battery life extends the lifespan of the battery by slowing down those charge cycles.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mitrovic and ICON
The healthiest charge for a lithium ion battery seems to be about 50%. If you are going to store your phone for an extended period, charge it to 50% before turning it off and storing it. This is easier on the battery than charging it to 100% or letting it drain to 0% before storage.

The battery, by the way, continues to degrade and discharge if the phone is turned off and not being used at all. This generation of batteries was designed to be used. If you think of it, turn the phone on every several months and top the battery up to 50%.

Tips to extend battery life

The tips above address battery lifespan directly. Battery lifespan is also affected by battery life, how long your phone lasts on a single charge. Improving battery life extends the lifespan of the battery by slowing down those charge cycles.

The battery in our cars would never balance if it were only charged to 50% it only balances when it reaches to be 90% to my understanding...