Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.0 Battery Pack - Was Confirmed, but Waiting More than a Year in UK!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I am a 2010 Roadster owner in London, UK. A while back, my battery drained while I was on holiday; car was hooked up to a charger but there was a software glitch and my house-sitter couldn't get into car as batter dead (it was locked) and my battery was declared DOA by Tesla after my return.

Tesla offered me a replacement but I decided to wait for the 3.0. After waiting for 18 months (being in line), I was confirmed by the London Tesla service center that my battery pack would be ready in Nov/Dec 2017. Then, in December they informed me that "by mistake" my upgrade had been shipped to someone else. They said they were terribly embarrassed and assured me that I would be given first priority for the next 3.0 Upgrade available. I was then contacted in May, 2018 that my battery was ready and my Tesla was picked up June 5, 2018 for installation. They picked it up. Since, then, the pack has not been delivered and my car has been sitting at the Tesla service center at Gatwick. I get regular emails and texts informing me of lack of progress.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Tesla have been polite but the service level is not about politeness, its about getting the car back on the road. I have offered me undefined compensation, but this is now a year wait.

They are now offering me a remanufactured 2.5 pack, without confirmed pricing.

Any advice? Insights? Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Hi Icon - that’s interesting. Did they actually tell you the 2.5 was ready twice and even accept the car for installation? That’s what is weird. Why did your battery die? Thx.

Have they told you cost of a 2.5? They told me in an email yesterday that price not yet set....

They also offered undefined comp - little things like a towing hook or free MOT. That seems pretty paltry...

Thanks

S

• Informative
Reactions: ICON
Hi Icon - that’s interesting. Did they actually tell you the 2.5 was ready twice and even accept the car for installation? That’s what is weird. Why did your battery die? Thx.

Have they told you cost of a 2.5? They told me in an email yesterday that price not yet set....

They also offered undefined comp - little things like a towing hook or free MOT. That seems pretty paltry...

Thanks

S

No, replacing the 2.5 battery was never offered by the SC - NOT an option!
I've only owned the car for 6 months and in that time I've spent 3,800 US$ on repairs to the battery.
This latest time ( 2 weeks ago) SC removed the battery and found one single cell in sheet #11 had died and was pulling down the battery ( 2nd time same issue) and that they would 'repair it'.
Two sheets have been changed previously #11 and #9 (in the past 12 months)
As there are no more sheets left in Hong Kong they will 'repair' Sheet #11, unsure how but I've been notified that the car is ready for collection today. I'm grateful to Tesla SC for fixing the battery again but quite concerned about further incremental cell failures moving forward.

SC said they would chase up on my R80 3.0 ordered in May '18 - but stated very little they can do at this stage.

Last edited:
A free MOT, I've been gone 15 years and can still make a phone call and have one delivered to my door in 24 hours. Thats terrible service, anywhere. The only delay I can see of shipping a battery pack, physically shipping it. but I assume there are containers coming from Tesla US going to the UK frequently so trasit time shouldnt be that long, however customs in the UK takes quite a while to clear (or at least has been my experience with cars and car parts) so it could be sitting in a bonded warehouse somewere waiting clearence. If the 3.0 is 30,000 US and thats 22,597 GBP as of right now. then they are offering you a 2.5 sport pack for the same price as the 3.0. That alone seems like such a bad deal, especially as you waited for the 3.0 pack. Paying the same for outdated small capacity cells seems like a huge step backwards.

I think the real issue here is that there is some problems with the cells to 3,0 pack
and they are going to change to a different cells but need evaluate them first, before the let them come to any customer
And they have not speed up the process with it because lack of time and persons for that project

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark77a and ICON
I agree but then they have to admit the cells used in the 3.0 were not tested thoroughly or the heating/cooling system while being acceptable for our cars is not able to sustain for the additional time a 3.0 can run at its limit. But testing a different cell seems pointless as the 18650 has had its day, they have pushed this format to the limit, the bigger cells in use now available to the public were being tested 2-3 years ago. I doubt there needs to be any more testing that hasnt already been done, most they squeezed into an 18650 was 4000mah and that still didn't have the discharge ratings close to the HG2 at 3000mah. The HG2 is one of the latest and greatest just released to the market and the spec sheet published after testing is dated 2014. My go-to ncr-b's are 2012. The model S cells are plentyful and are available, I dont see the problem other than the manufacturing process that undoubtly takes time and for a limited run probably not on the top of their lists. And they definatly need to throttle back the output, and thats probably dictated in the PEM because that kind of discharge rate will heat things up very quickly. I'm sure there is a good reason but charging the same for a standard battery as a 3.0, keeping the vehicle for that long and offering an MOT which I'm sure if they kept any longer it would be due anyhow.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
Tesla time?

Funny you should say that...

20181020_173010.jpg