Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.0 Battery Sold Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think various cells have different min/max voltage to take advantage of whatever capacity they can provide. If you just put different cells in a Roadster without "changing the algorithms", I don't think you would get the (full) benefits.

But bricked v unknown capacity but higher than standard. A dead sheet with higher capacity cells will only help the pack perform as well as the worst brick in any given sheet in any given pack, so if one brick is really bad pulling your pack down, changing a sheet for one that’s higher capacity will simply inprove or unbrick the pack. No one should have to replace with 10 year old tech cells for that price. I have a bucket full of 22-2400 cells I use to test bms’s on. There worth nothing. Model S or ncrb’s are now $3 a cell for guy on the street prices. So it’s still $20,000 to buy enough to do a pack but a sheet with new cells that out performs the original for $2000 is certainly appealing if you know you have 1 sheet out. I doubt you could engineer a sheet to make the bricks modular but that’s why my I’d like to get my hands on one.

I would be careful about making too many assumptions that newer / higher capacity cells could just "drop right in" and work at least as well as the originals.
I don't know all the voodoo science involved, but I would guess that maybe things could become unbalanced if you have different cell chemistry mixed around.
I think the firmware makes assumptions about how the cell chemistry is supposed to react to charge/discharge at various temperatures and flow rates.
At a minimum, you might start getting errors because the firmware sees the cells behaving differently from what the "stock" cells usually do.

Reactions: AtAge19
I have this vague recollection that Tesla promised support of Roadsters for 10 years from last manufacture date. That would mean that they would support to 2021. Anyone else remember this?
It’s a common and oft-repeated myth that car manufacturers must make parts available for 10 years. The rumor spreads for every brand. I haven’t seen Tesla make any specific commitment.

It’s a common and oft-repeated myth that car manufacturers must make parts available for 10 years. The rumor spreads for every brand. I haven’t seen Tesla make any specific commitment.
Well, at a minimum Tesla has a contractual obligation to some who, at the time of their original purchase, "pre-bought" their first replacement battery to replace it with a new pack as far as 10 years out from their purchase.

Reactions: hcsharp

Perhaps. But Tesla said this in a 2014 post discussing Roadster 3.0:

"Appointments for upgrading Roadsters will be taken this spring once the new battery pack finishes safety validation. We are confident that this will not be the last update the Roadster will receive in the many years to come."
Seems that we were misinformed then?

I agree. There are still battery replacement obligations that need to be fulfilled. Maybe they're studying the longevity issues as well and coming out with a "3.5" battery? Who knows?

I'd be surprised if it's permanently sold out, but it's also quite possible.

I never got the 3.0. I had thought about it a few months ago, but the longevity thread gave me pause.

Can someone Tweet Elon about this? I'm not on social media.
I have an email from Tesla stating they will continue to support the Roadster. I sent the email Dec 26 and they last week at work. I don't have a copy at home to quote them. Post it on Monday

I have an email from Tesla stating they will continue to support the Roadster. I sent the email Dec 26 and they last week at work. I don't have a copy at home to quote them. Post it on Monday

I suspect by "support" they mean repair. Don't think that necessarily means they will provide upgrades like the battery upgrade, unless your battery fails.

• Informative
I suspect by "support" they mean repair. Don't think that necessarily means they will provide upgrades like the battery upgrade, unless your battery fails.
Sorry in the delay folks. Here is the email response. I sent to Tesla from work 12/26/2018:

Good evening. I'm about 1 year out purchasing a used Roadster (getting the funds and paying off my 90D). I just noticed Tesla web site stating it's sold out. Any plans to continue to support the Roadster? Otherwise I won't purchase a used Roadster. Thanks

Tesla response 1/9/2019 (Like the shop guess they are backed up)

Hello F,

Being our flagship Tesla model there will always be some level of support for these vehicles and also future plans to make newer models of them.

Alex Garcia | Service Support

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
I was browsing the Tesla website, and I noticed the site says that the 3.0 battery upgrade is sold out. Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade Has anyone heard anything about this? I hope Tesla has plans to re-stock.

View attachment 350265View attachment 350265
Sorry in the delay, but took a while to find the response from Tesla at work 1/9/2019 and my remembering lol.

"Hello F,

Being our flagship Tesla model there will always be some level of support for these vehicles and also future plans to make newer models of them".

Alex Garcia | Service Support

Last edited: