Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$3,000+ In-Warranty Service Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get some battery issues diagnosed by Tesla for my 2015 MS that's still under the battery warranty and reached out to the SC. However, after submitting the request and getting time scheduled I've been hit with a $3,000+ estimate for service to authorize.

Is there no way to just be on the hook for a general ~$250 diagnostic fee you would typically see? Authorizing $3,000 with a company that's notorious for avoiding in-warranty claims and service is not something I want to be on the hook for.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
I want to get some battery issues diagnosed by Tesla for my 2015 MS that's still under the battery warranty and reached out to the SC. However, after submitting the request and getting time scheduled I've been hit with a $3,000+ estimate for service to authorize.

Is there no way to just be on the hook for a general ~$250 diagnostic fee you would typically see? Authorizing $3,000 with a company that's notorious for avoiding in-warranty claims and service is not something I want to be on the hook for.
It’s just an estimate. It’s required to be provided for any work performed on the vehicle whether it’s under warranty or not.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It might be just a estimate but it's a guessestimate and unless that technician finds something completely different than the repair order they will finish work, approve repair work done and u will get notication to pay bill. That's why it's specific to describe your issue to a T what's wrong. I got a milling sound coming from my rear end sounds like airplane raid siren sent video and all. They sent me a 0.00 estimate for repair

Never heard of any car maker charging anything for warranty work. Never had this happen on any of our MS’s What are they charging for? In case they don’t find anything covered by warranty? $3k is a lot to inspect. We had the main battery, door handles, air bags replaced and never were charged anything.

Why don't you ask Tesla if you indeed are going to pay "$3,000+" or not and then post the screenshot of their answer here.

What are the issues you’re seeing?

Running into charging speed issues on my upgraded 80A enabled, dual charger, 2015 MS. I reached out to the SC to see if the charging issue was related to the battery and could be fixed under the HV battery warranty. The issue specifically was that it was taking over an hour to go 20% to 80% on the supercharger - no red rings of death or any other issues just incredibly slow charging. It took me a full extra day to road trip given the charge times when driving across the country. I was estimated $3,000+ and asked to authorize it which was peculiar given that usually you are charged a diagnostic and not a master charger when first reaching out to the SC.

I was able to get them to put in a diagnostic fee only instead of full repairs and the car is currently in for work. Overall, SC has been a mixed bag as I was given uber credits in the meantime, since the car is in the recall work as well, but was told the car was done and showed up today and they still hadn't started work on it.

I no longer have the original estimate since it was amended. It is also a bit shady to quote people full repairs when coming in to diagnose possible in-warranty work instead of a diagnostic fee.

1) Your 80A onboard dual charger is not used during supercharging. That's a fact.
2) 2015 MS having slow supercharging on old HV batteries is "normal". Older MS supercharging has been throttled.
3) You still haven't disclosed what this $3000+ charge is for. What are they repairing?
4) Why don't you post your current (redacted) estimated invoice?

1) Just adding details since the master charger on the 80A dual charger is known to have issues with the fuses blowing
2) Thanks for the detail, this may be the issue honestly
3) Estimate is for a master charger quoted when describing the issue, before offering any diagnostic work
4) Prior estimate isn't available on the app anymore, only the amended one

Never heard of any car maker charging anything for warranty work. Never had this happen on any of our MS’s What are they charging for? In case they don’t find anything covered by warranty? $3k is a lot to inspect. We had the main battery, door handles, air bags replaced and never were charged anything.
Nissan estimate listed a $325 battery diagnostic fee that was removed once they confirmed the battery was really bad and replaced under warranty. BMW did that to us for a few things too.

• Informative
Reactions: Cal1 and Droschke
the master charger on the 80A dual charger is known to have issues with the fuses blowing

Links please.

Again, the onboard charger is bypassed during supercharging. If you have slow supercharging it has nothing to do with your onboard charger. So, why fix the onboard charger?

Prior estimate isn't available on the app anymore, only the amended one

That's what you are being asked for. Please post the current (latest) redacted invoice.

Edit:
Even if you want to fix your onboard charger, I believe you have no warranty coverage for it at this point unless you have an applicable ESA.

Last edited: