Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3-2-1 toggle switch for steering wheel heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets all contact Tesla and ask for better control of the steering wheel heating. With the heated seats you can choose 3-2-1 on the screen to adjust the temperature and there are times where the flexibility to chose how warm the steering wheel gets would be very handy. Those of us who live in colder climates know that it is hard to find the right pair of gloves that will activate the touch screen yet be comfortable and warm enough. Especially if it is just above freezing eg. 2-3o (Celsius of course), steering wheel heating gets to be too much after 5-10min yet turning it off means your hands get cold.

I would think that this could be done in software by creating a couple duty-cycle settings. I assume that the single setting we have is 100% duty cycle. Two additional settings (50% duty-cycle - 10 seconds on, 10 off) and 25% duty-cycle (2.5 on, 7.5 off) for example..

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I would rather have persistent steering wheel heating so that you don't have to turn it on every time you start the car. Maybe older cars are different (my car was made in Dec 2014) but my wheel doesn't get overly hot, even when on for long periods.

p.s. I hope you are not implying that you wear gloves in your car when it is 2-3C outside. That is grounds for losing your Canadian citizenship. :)

There is no reason why steering wheel heating cannot have both persistence and 3-2-1. That would make it just like the seat heaters. It should not be hard to impelement as it would that would make the software near identical to the seat heaters.

Agree having more flexibility would be better my problem is with the steering wheel heated my hands on steering wheel is not detected and causes errors. Anyone else have the same issue tend to place hands at 7 and 2 o’clock position

Agree having more flexibility would be better my problem is with the steering wheel heated my hands on steering wheel is not detected and causes errors. Anyone else have the same issue tend to place hands at 7 and 2 o’clock position
Hands on the wheel are detected by the small torque they impart (as a resistance) as the car makes steering adjustments. Whether or not heating is on would be irrelevant to the way this is monitored. Maybe the heating causes you to hold it differently?