TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

3/2: Everyone can help - Connecticut owners, you're on deck!

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by bonnie, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Everyone - Help get the word out. Before you leave this post saying 'not my issue, I'm not in CT', could you take a moment and retweet (if you're on twitter) or just post about this to facebook (if you have a fb account) or just tell anyone you know in CT about this (hopefully you have some friends :)).

here's a link (or write your own!) Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.45.42 AM.png

Just this morning, I was thinking that if I were GM (maybe still a bit of a lingering nightmare there, because thank god I'm not GM) and the dealership lobby, I'd do my best to start moving up hearings and schedules and make everything happen at once.

And guess what? I'm sorry to say ... yep, that's what's happening in Connecticut. Same day as stuff in Utah. But we don't care. We can cover both. And more. :)

--------------
    Oh, and without any notice, the CT Auto Dealers Association, along with GM (shocker) held a press conference this morning at 11am. I guess they wanted to control their version of the story. See my tweet at the bottom of this page to the Hartford Courant newspaper :).
    ---------------

So here's what's happening:

This is for a bill that will actually open up the state to Tesla sales. Its HB 3 before the Transportation Committee chaired by Rep. Tony Guerrera.

The hearing is only the first step to opening up Connecticut. Its informational for the Committee and there will be no vote until later the next week when the Committee meets to review testimony (oral and written) from the hearing. As a result, there is time still to influence beyond the hearing.

Below is what Tesla sent out to Connecticut owners (some who have already said they'd attend - thank you!):

Tweeted to the Hartford Courant newspaper this morning before the last minute dealership press conference, in the hopes that IF they write about this, they modify any dealership weak sauce arguments:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.05.53 AM.png

- - - Updated - - -

Thread title date is wrong. It is 3/2, not 2/2. I've asked a moderator to fix.

Not enough coffee this morning!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a taste of what the Connecticut dealerships did last year:

Connecticut Auto Dealers Appear At Capitol To Protest Tesla Bill - Hartford Courant

Connecticut Car Dealers Have A Stupid Anti-Tesla Website To Scare You

2. CTShore

CTShore Member

Got the e-mail last night.
    The group will be in the rotunda leading up to the hearing.
    Will be there!
    Ellen

3. bonnie

Thanks, Ellen! Let us know how it goes.

4. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

The good news is the crashtesla.com site just says the domain is parked. None of the stupid crap is visible.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Date fixed. Best of luck Bonnie!

6. bonnie

7. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Thanks for the notice, and I hope it went well. Are there any updates?

8. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

If this passed, couldn't the CT residents just walk one block over to RI and get one? :D

9. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

No stores or galleries in lil' Rhody...yet!

10. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

11. bonnie

So here is what I heard:

So this is where we need to get to work. It's not too late for those in CT to write to both the Committee and/or their legislators and express their views. Points that will be helpful to stress (because of all the cap talk):

• [*=1]Tesla stores hire locally and are also part of the community, just like dealerships. There is no logical reason to cap the number of stores.
      [*=1]No dealership has gone out of business because of Tesla. (And if they are afraid of that, then make a better product.) Just look to states where there are no caps. Ask the dealerships to provide actual data that allowing in market competition, the foundation of free enterprise, will hurt them in some way. There are plenty of states where they could gather that data.
      [*=1]Allowing Tesla in, without caps, will give their constituents more choices as consumers, it does not drive out dealers. Capping the number of stores is taking choice away from their constituents.

- - - Updated - - -

And as always, doesn't hurt to amplify the message on social media. Make your own tweet, retweet mine go to facebook, whatever works for you. :)

Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 7.59.35 PM.png

12. bonnie

13. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I agree with your comments Bonnie, thanks for the updates.