Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/2: Everyone can help - Connecticut owners, you're on deck!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Everyone - Help get the word out. Before you leave this post saying 'not my issue, I'm not in CT', could you take a moment and retweet (if you're on twitter) or just post about this to facebook (if you have a fb account) or just tell anyone you know in CT about this (hopefully you have some friends :)).

here's a link (or write your own!) Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.45.42 AM.png

Just this morning, I was thinking that if I were GM (maybe still a bit of a lingering nightmare there, because thank god I'm not GM) and the dealership lobby, I'd do my best to start moving up hearings and schedules and make everything happen at once.

And guess what? I'm sorry to say ... yep, that's what's happening in Connecticut. Same day as stuff in Utah. But we don't care. We can cover both. And more. :)

--------------
Oh, and without any notice, the CT Auto Dealers Association, along with GM (shocker) held a press conference this morning at 11am. I guess they wanted to control their version of the story. See my tweet at the bottom of this page to the Hartford Courant newspaper :).
---------------

So here's what's happening:

This is for a bill that will actually open up the state to Tesla sales. Its HB 3 before the Transportation Committee chaired by Rep. Tony Guerrera.

The hearing is only the first step to opening up Connecticut. Its informational for the Committee and there will be no vote until later the next week when the Committee meets to review testimony (oral and written) from the hearing. As a result, there is time still to influence beyond the hearing.

Below is what Tesla sent out to Connecticut owners (some who have already said they'd attend - thank you!):

Tesla Supporters and Enthusiasts:

On March 2nd at 10:30AM at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford, the Transportation Committee is holding a public hearing on a bill that will allow Tesla to sell its cars in Connecticut.

This is great news! And while we've been fortunate to gain the support of Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff and Transportation Committee House Chair Tony Guerrera, we need your help.

We invite you to get involved, and let legislators in Hartford know exactly why allowing Tesla to sell its cars is not only good for the Connecticut economy, but also for the state's long term environmental goal of reducing emissions.

If you can't attend, you are welcome to write or call Transportation Committee members who will participate in the hearing. You can find their contact details at www.cga.ct.gov/tra/

And if you want to stay updated with our progress, visit www.TeslaCT.com

Thanks in advance for your support!

Legislative Office Building
300 Capitol Avenue
Room 2E
Hartford, CT 06106

Tweeted to the Hartford Courant newspaper this morning before the last minute dealership press conference, in the hopes that IF they write about this, they modify any dealership weak sauce arguments:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.05.53 AM.png

- - - Updated - - -

Thread title date is wrong. It is 3/2, not 2/2. I've asked a moderator to fix.

Not enough coffee this morning!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a taste of what the Connecticut dealerships did last year:

Connecticut Auto Dealers Appear At Capitol To Protest Tesla Bill - Hartford Courant

He said dealers "can sell cars better for Tesla." He also contends existing franchise laws provide protections to consumers.

Connecticut Car Dealers Have A Stupid Anti-Tesla Website To Scare You

The alarmingly-named Tesla Crash website has a logo with a wrecked car (not a Tesla) and blood-red, splattery typography. You'd think it'd be a warning site about how Teslas have a secret "Murder Mode." It's really just a bunch of Connecticut car dealers afraid of not getting to make more money.

So what happened? I see GM brought out their Bolt EV, and dealerships brought out a Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi and a BMW i8. This video shows some funny interactions with a state legislator and a Ford product ;)

Legislature Again Debates Allowing Tesla To Sell Directly To Consumers - Hartford Courant

So here is what I heard:

Went well overall. Got good turn out from owners. Committee did not vote (never was any plan to), but they did have great discussion with everyone agreeing there should be some way to let Tesla in. The downside is that there was a lot of talk about store caps, production caps, time limits, etc., all in the name of "compromise" to kowtow to the dealers (since they are local businesses and part of the community). That's about the only argument they have.

So this is where we need to get to work. It's not too late for those in CT to write to both the Committee and/or their legislators and express their views. Points that will be helpful to stress (because of all the cap talk):

• [*=1]Tesla stores hire locally and are also part of the community, just like dealerships. There is no logical reason to cap the number of stores.
    [*=1]No dealership has gone out of business because of Tesla. (And if they are afraid of that, then make a better product.) Just look to states where there are no caps. Ask the dealerships to provide actual data that allowing in market competition, the foundation of free enterprise, will hurt them in some way. There are plenty of states where they could gather that data.
    [*=1]Allowing Tesla in, without caps, will give their constituents more choices as consumers, it does not drive out dealers. Capping the number of stores is taking choice away from their constituents.

- - - Updated - - -

And as always, doesn't hurt to amplify the message on social media. Make your own tweet, retweet mine go to facebook, whatever works for you. :)

Bonnie Norman on Twitter:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 7.59.35 PM.png