Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3,200km EV road Trip from Mornington Peninsula VIC to Townsville QLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a brief outline of the trip to Townsville QLD some might find interesting.

Thought I would try an extended road trip to see how practical it is going on holiday in FNQ leaving from Mornington Peninsula VIC. Wanted to stop at most chargers along the way to check them out even though did not always need to charge. Min SOC on whole trip 26%. Have a small compressor fridge running all day in boot to keep some fresh milk, cheese, butter, beer etc when you don’t want to eat out all of the time. Noticed 10% range loss due to cold in Vic and inland NSW / QLD but it returned again after the overnight stop at Childers.

Only at Bathurst and Rockhampton were chargers occupied but in both cases they were finishing up when I arrived. Traveling out of holiday times seems to work but not everyone can do that. Checked in on Plugshare as much as possible to provide charger status updates

Stayed o/n in motels leaving between 7:30 -8:30am most days.

Here’s how it unfolded...

Day 1 Dromana to Albury. Left about 10:30am after peak hour and Charged at Euroa & Barnawatha North VIC

Day 2 Albury to Mudgee. Charged Gundagai, Young, Cowra, Bathurst

Day 3 Mudgee to Stanthorpe QLD. Charged at Mudgee, Scone, Tamworth, Armidale, Tenterfield

Day 4 Stanthorpe to Childers. Charged at Toowoomba, Kingaroy, Gunalda, Maryborough. Could have avoided Kingaroy but its makes it comfortable range wise only adding 20mins

Day 5 Childers to Mackay, Charged at Childers, Miriam Vale, Rockhampton, Malrborough, Camila

Day 6 Mackay to Townsville. Charged at Mackay & Proserpine. Found Ayr charger but didn’t need it.

In Townsville charged at QESH James Cook Uni. Good luck finding it, although the Chargefox App takes you straight there.

Return leg via coast to Sydney then back down the Hume .

Actually found the driving stints very comfortable and less wearisome due to a few more charging breaks and the autosteer.

Great trip!
Sounds a lot warmer than our trip, we just got back from Canberra - Adelaide - Melbourne - Canberra, 3440km, average consumption 245Whr/km. Charged at superchargers all the way except for a motel in Bendigo, type 2 in Woodside while having lunch and a side trip out of Melbourne - CTR at Kyneton and Chargefox Ballarat. Can recommend the Victoria Hotel in Woodend for roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and a pint of Guinness on a freezing day!

Reactions: Stratman and Loxmyf
Merc EQA, comes with 3 years complimentary Chargefox so have not actually paid out any charging $$ yet. Will use some EVIe chargers on return tho. Share some love..

I was going to say you were having a lot of charging stops for not particularly long legs... I thought maybe you had SR+.

With a Model 3 LR most of those legs would have needed only 1 or 2 charging stops.

Im planning on a trip Melb to Cairns using the shortest route possible via Bourke. There are some 400k-450k stretches. My car is a prefacelift S with 85kWhr bat. Ive done Melb to Marlo straight and it had 20% left So I know it can be done at reduced speed on the long flat stretches on this route. The top end will be via the Kennedy Development Rd from Hughenden which is largely sealed. Ive been to Cairns before along Hwy1 before the charging was so prolific.

Reactions: raynewman