Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/22/2018 New M3 Invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread and group are feeling a little lonely lately. It appears some 3-22 invite people have delivery dates in the very near future! Who's first (or did I miss someone in this thread)?

I was hopeful at the beginning of this week that I might have it by Friday, but with the trade-in evaluation holding up the proceedings for the last 4 days, I'm not so sure.
I picked up my Model 3 on April 14th but then went off to Europe for a week so it sat, lonely, in my driveway. When I got back, I promptly backed up into a parking sign (tiny dent in the front left fender), so it's back in the body shop. :( I was considering getting a ceramic coating on the front bumper and fenders, so I'll likely have that done also while it's in the shop.

I have enjoyed the 30 or so miles that I've driven it so far - so smooth and responsive! - but I am a little bummed that the proximity sensors didn't make a peep when I clipped that sign. Also, the car has decided that there is always someone in the front passenger seat (even when there isn't). So I get that pleasant warning tone and light that the Invisible Man (or Woman) in the front passenger seat should really put on his (or her!) seat belt.

So it will be going into the Tesla service center for that once it gets out of the body shop. But I did take delivery, so yay!

Sucks to ding your car like that. Iirc, parking sensors of all cars have trouble spotting stuff like signs since the profile of the pole holding the sign is so thin. And this probably isn’t your scenario, but in my Volt the car will think someone is in the front passenger seat for some reason when I have a phone or a tablet there and I’ll get the same seatbelt warning tones, so if you’re keeping a tablet or phone there that might be the reason. But since the 3 has a spot for cell phones in the center console, that probably isn’t it for you.

• Funny
Reactions: octoad
Sucks to ding your car like that. Iirc, parking sensors of all cars have trouble spotting stuff like signs since the profile of the pole holding the sign is so thin.
This might make things tricky for self-driving/self-parking. Bumping into the actual parking signs when parking might irritate owners a bit.
And this probably isn’t your scenario, but in my Volt the car will think someone is in the front passenger seat for some reason when I have a phone or a tablet there and I’ll get the same seatbelt warning tones, so if you’re keeping a tablet or phone there that might be the reason. But since the 3 has a spot for cell phones in the center console, that probably isn’t it for you.
Yeah, front seat is totally empty and I get the warnings. I find the cell phone holders/chargers in the Model 3 console fairly useless. I have to take my phones out of their cases to fit into the charging dock, and that's annoying to have to keep doing every time I get in or out of the car.

I will say though that I'm used to relying on my phone for much more in my previous car. It's a 2005 Highlander Hybrid with no bluetooth, no internet radio and really outdated and horrible navigation. On the Model 3, I can tell it to "Play Tesla Girls" and it creates an 80s techno station for me on Slacker. So cool! I can also put in my TuneIn Radio favorites like NPR and Radio Paradise right into the A/V system as favorites. If I could just get the center screen to let me play Pokemon Go, I'd be set! :) (J/K... at least until full self-driving becomes a reality).

-CB

This might make things tricky for self-driving/self-parking. Bumping into the actual parking signs when parking might irritate owners a bit.

Yeah, front seat is totally empty and I get the warnings. I find the cell phone holders/chargers in the Model 3 console fairly useless. I have to take my phones out of their cases to fit into the charging dock, and that's annoying to have to keep doing every time I get in or out of the car.

I will say though that I'm used to relying on my phone for much more in my previous car. It's a 2005 Highlander Hybrid with no bluetooth, no internet radio and really outdated and horrible navigation. On the Model 3, I can tell it to "Play Tesla Girls" and it creates an 80s techno station for me on Slacker. So cool! I can also put in my TuneIn Radio favorites like NPR and Radio Paradise right into the A/V system as favorites. If I could just get the center screen to let me play Pokemon Go, I'd be set! :) (J/K... at least until full self-driving becomes a reality).

-CB

Well, if and when Tesla cracks the self driving thing, they’ll be using the cameras for stuff like signs, so the ultrasonics’ limitations won’t be as much of an issue.

And lmao, I’m with you on Pokémon Go. If we could do screen mirroring from our phones (only when the car is set to park, of course ;)) so I could use that screen to catch my legendaries, I’d be all set.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBoylan
I picked up my Model 3 on April 14th but then went off to Europe for a week so it sat, lonely, in my driveway. When I got back, I promptly backed up into a parking sign (tiny dent in the front left fender), so it's back in the body shop. :( I was considering getting a ceramic coating on the front bumper and fenders, so I'll likely have that done also while it's in the shop.

I have enjoyed the 30 or so miles that I've driven it so far - so smooth and responsive! - but I am a little bummed that the proximity sensors didn't make a peep when I clipped that sign. Also, the car has decided that there is always someone in the front passenger seat (even when there isn't). So I get that pleasant warning tone and light that the Invisible Man (or Woman) in the front passenger seat should really put on his (or her!) seat belt.

So it will be going into the Tesla service center for that once it gets out of the body shop. But I did take delivery, so yay!
Congrats, though obviously not for the mishap. If all goes well, I should receive mine on Thursday. I'm considering doing a partial Xpel wrap and ceramic coating on the remainder. The $7500 quote I received to do full Xpel is too rich for my blood.

Reactions: MrBoylan
Congrats, though obviously not for the mishap. If all goes well, I should receive mine on Thursday. I'm considering doing a partial Xpel wrap and ceramic coating on the remainder. The $7500 quote I received to do full Xpel is too rich for my blood.
I am probably going simpler (cheaper) than that, just a ceramic coating on the front bumper and quarter panels. The shop said that would be "around $1,200" but I don't have the precise details yet.

I have a feeling that this particular shop is on the higher end of pricing as it's one of the few "Tesla approved" body shops in New York City. When my original pick-up date was cancelled due to the detailers finding a paint chip on the door, this is the shop they brought the car to. And I have to say I saw no evidence of the repair.

Reactions: Asad1087