Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/4-inch electrical whip to connect wall connector to junction box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an electrician install a 50A circuit outside my house from the main panel, running metal conduit to a junction box using 6 AWG wire connecting to a Jukebox 40, which had a pre-installed whip. I have a SR+ so it pulls 32A max.I recently decided to get a Tesla wall connector which did not come with a whip. I would like to hard wire it to the junction box, and wondering if I can use a standard 3/4-inch non-metallic whip (comes with 8 AWG wire) which is rated to handle 32A continuous.

I had an electrician install a 50A circuit outside my house from the main panel, running metal conduit to a junction box using 6 AWG wire connecting to a Jukebox 40, which had a pre-installed whip. I have a SR+ so it pulls 32A max.I recently decided to get a Tesla wall connector which did not come with a whip. I would like to hard wire it to the junction box, and wondering if I can use a standard 3/4-inch non-metallic whip (comes with 8 AWG wire) which is rated to handle 32A continuous.
Not supposed to make HPWC's hardwired in that way. Its up to you.
Could you clarify, and would you recommend an alternative solution for connecting it?

Yes I have a 50A breaker now. Why would I need to replace it with a 40A if I can set the max output of the wall connector to 32A? Would it make a difference if I used a whip that had 6 AWG wire and/ or an EMT conduit?

The theory is that all wires leading to the equipment should be able to deal with the current the circuit breaker can supply. If something dreadful happens inside the wall connector it might ask for 50 amps, overloading that 8 awg until the 8 awg becomes a fuse. Its extremely unlikely to be an issue.

Looking further, that flexible conduit >probably< still counts as conduit, and that means you can use the 75C rating of 8awg, or 50 amps(40 amps continuous). Need to do a bit more research.

[Edit:] Ya.. it doesn't count as conduit, the max is 40A, and the breaker should be changed.

If the whip had 6AWG or was instead #8 THHN conductors in EMT you'd be fine with 50 amps.

Last edited:
Yes I have a 50A breaker now. Why would I need to replace it with a 40A if I can set the max output of the wall connector to 32A? Would it make a difference if I used a whip that had 6 AWG wire and/ or an EMT conduit?

If the whip has 8 AWG wire it is limited to 40A, so a 40A breaker is required. You will set the wall connector to a 40A circuit and it will charge at 32A. Since the SR+ maxes out at a 32A charge rate, there is no need to upgrade the whip. If you did you could then use a 50A breaker and set the wall connector to a 50A circuit. But the car will still max out at a 32A charge rate.