Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Auto Wipers Finally Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the latest update 20.4.4 my auto wipers are working great! Can anybody else confirm my observations? This has been a thorn in my side for while with the promised AI auto wiper improvements.
I think Tesla finally got it right!

Someone posts this every version, without fail. I’m on the latest and no, they’re not particularly better although this time of year is not when they’re crappiest - it’s the early and late months of the year when they fail to detect spray and blinding drizzle. I really doubt they’ve fixed it because I don’t think the technology/approach can work much better - it seems to work best when it can “see” droplets, it doesn’t know when overall visibility/light level is suddenly reduced.

I wish they’d stop spending money trying to fix something they probably can’t. Just pay the money to retrofit the $2 IR sensor that every other manufacturer has been using flawlessly for years.

Pardon the rant but at the rainier times of the year it’s easily the most poorly executed part of the 3 experience and yet it’s so trivial to get right. I’ve gone from years of never thinking about wipers to having to hear all the “AI will get better” excuses. I really don’t know why they haven’t just changed over to IR.

Yeah I agree this problem can be solved by AI. It's a vision problem. Human actually have to see the rain drops in the windshield to know it's raining and blocking the view. None of the cameras on the car is pointing at the windshield. It's much harder to see the rain drops, at least not by the crappy cameras.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Yeah I agree this problem can be solved by AI. It's a vision problem. Human actually have to see the rain drops in the windshield to know it's raining and blocking the view. None of the cameras on the car is pointing at the windshield. It's much harder to see the rain drops, at least not by the crappy cameras.

I don't think the cameras are "crappy" by any means, I just think they're using a sledgehammer to try to crack a nut by using AI and machine brains to solve something that doesn't need solving that way.

Never really had a problem with mine, other than when I had broader camera issues including backup camera not working and presumably AP as well (didn't think to try.) No matter how hard the rain was on that drive, the wipers only worked manually.