Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 awg vs 6 wag length 100 feet and over

RAM1950

Sep 7, 2015
Smithfield RI
I'm expecting delivery of my preowned P85 in 2 weeks. Should I spend the extra$ and upgrade my home charger wiring to 3awg from 6awg. The length of wire required will be near or slightly over 100 ft. I will charging at 40 amps Nema 14-50 connector.

kennybobby

Sep 14, 2014
Heart o' Dixie
Not if the 6awg is copper wire, but if aluminum then yes. At 40A with copper you only drop 3 volts for that run, with 3awg copper you drop 1.5 volts.

Last edited:

kennybobby

Sep 14, 2014
Heart o' Dixie
No with aluminum it would drop 6 volts, but 40A is right at the limit for 6 AWG aluminum, 3 wires in a cable, UF TW wire, etc. FlasherZ is the expert on NEC, i'm just doing voltage drop calculations...

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC