Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Car Seats in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our third is not in the way yet, but I did some research and found a few websites detailing people's successes and failures of fitting different models if car seats in different models of cars. Like someone said above, it isn't just width that matters. Honda Civic fit three accross but some other wider ones didn't. Middle seat shape also was a factor. I'm pretty sure the Model 3 will be ripe for three accross with the right seats.

Now that the M3 has been unveiled and some are even starting to trickle onto the streets, I thought I'd follow up on my original post. Has anyone learned anything more concrete about whether 3 car seats will be feasible?

We currently have 2 Diono Radian (super narrow) front facing seats, and 1 Chico Keyfit rear facing, and this setup fits in the back of most cars. However, the specs I've read show the model 3 only having 52.4" of rear hip room which seems like it might be too tight.

If anyone gets a chance to test out 3 car seats in the back please let me know. Thanks!

Now that the M3 has been unveiled and some are even starting to trickle onto the streets, I thought I'd follow up on my original post. Has anyone learned anything more concrete about whether 3 car seats will be feasible?

We currently have 2 Diono Radian (super narrow) front facing seats, and 1 Chico Keyfit rear facing, and this setup fits in the back of most cars. However, the specs I've read show the model 3 only having 52.4" of rear hip room which seems like it might be too tight.

If anyone gets a chance to test out 3 car seats in the back please let me know. Thanks!
I'd think that would work (according to the google, your front facing seats are 17" wide, the rear facing 17" on a 15" base totaling 51", 49" at the infant seat base) but having seat belt latch extenders may be needed to buckle them in.

I was looking for an option that would allow for a 3rd passenger to ride in the back with 2 children in booster seats, while my mother-in-law is visiting from overseas for a few months. Gave up looking for traditional seats and went with using our Mifolds.

I tried putting 3 car seats in the back. It's pretty tight. On our old S, it was pretty easy to fit 3 Radian RXTs.

Attachments

• IMG_2431.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 387
It better fit three, car is coming in less than two weeks and I have three kids. :)
Let us know if they all fit! It would be great if they do.

I wrote the original post in this thread, but in the end found a great deal on an S with the rear-facing seats so went that route instead. I had pretty much decided that there was not going to be a way to fit 2 toddlers (too small for booster seats, so using Radian RXT seats) and an infant 3-across in the back of a M3.

Let us know if they all fit! It would be great if they do.

I wrote the original post in this thread, but in the end found a great deal on an S with the rear-facing seats so went that route instead. I had pretty much decided that there was not going to be a way to fit 2 toddlers (too small for booster seats, so using Radian RXT seats) and an infant 3-across in the back of a M3.

I am currently using 2 Diono Radians and a BabyTrend infant seat base in the back, and happy to report that they all fit pretty comfortably. I'd say there's a couple inches on either side of the outside seats to spare. I'm using belts, rather than latches, to secure the seats.

I was pretty anxious about these fitting while waiting for the car, but I'm happy to report that it fits pretty comfortably. I've been meaning to take a picture with the kids loaded up. I'll update when I do.

I am currently using 2 Diono Radians and a BabyTrend infant seat base in the back, and happy to report that they all fit pretty comfortably. I'd say there's a couple inches on either side of the outside seats to spare. I'm using belts, rather than latches, to secure the seats.

I was pretty anxious about these fitting while waiting for the car, but I'm happy to report that it fits pretty comfortably. I've been meaning to take a picture with the kids loaded up. I'll update when I do.

That is great to hear. Would love to see a picture of your setup when you have time.

So they fit, but since i'm 6'2" my seat it pretty far back. Their legs will bend and go down behind my seat but for a little kid that just stick out it wouldn't be comfortable. Their dirty feat touch everything though, they keep using the center console as a foot rest no matter how much I yell at them.

Attachments

• kids-tesla.jpg
    kids-tesla.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 299
So, just another data point of 3 across fitting.

I go the model 3 with 2 kids- now we have a 3rd on the way so I have been figuring out how to fit everyone- but it will fit 3 across this is currently with 2 diono's and a much larger safety 1st seat (this wont be what I actually use- I just wanted to test out the 3rd seat with the 2 smaller diono's. (and I may need to remove the cupholders- i just rotated them in for space when I was testing out seats.

I will likely have the 2 diono's and an infant seat with a base, and once the youngest is ready- she will move into a diono and the biggest (who will be 6 at the time, will move to a narrow booster)

I am sure for any big family trips we will take the wife's minivan, but I wanted to make certain that the Model 3 would still fit us all safely when I wanted to travel in it.

For anyone trying, using the seat belts instead of the latch anchors really helped get that extra 2 or so inches of space I needed. And I did plenty of research that Latch isnt any safer then seatbelt, it just is more idiot proof- so make sure you install correctly, but if you do- and use the seat belts you really can fit a litter of kids in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_4326.jpg
    IMG_4326.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_4327.jpg
    IMG_4327.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4329.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 256