Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Car Seats in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know whether it will be possible to fit 3 car seats in the rear seat of the Model 3?

I see from the specs that it is fairly wide (wider than most compact and mid-size cars), and I have read that the passenger compartment is supposed to be relatively spacious thanks to the battery location and cabin positioning.

With a 3rd kid on the way, I'm now wondering whether to keep my Model 3 reservation or to just go ahead and splurge for a Model S with the rear-facing seats. I would much prefer the less expensive, smaller Model 3 option if it is possible to fit all the kids in it!

Thanks for any insight you can add.

Sometimes manufacturers design the front passenger seat to support a child seat.
Also some child seats are specifically designed to be more narrower for this specific situation.
How old is the oldest one right now?

Keep your reservation for longer. Around summer you should get your answer.

@uvaglen - based on the rear hip room in the Model S and the few inches narrower the Model 3 is expected to be, it's probably safe to assume the 3 will have about 51" of rear hip room, so maxed out would be an average of (3) 17" carseats. doable, but you may have to update your current kid's seats to narrower models to get them all to fit.

Reactions: JPUConn
Get the X. My three kids are teens to adults now and to this day if I try to sit them three across, there's trouble.

Model 3 and Model X are two completely different beasts. There are used Model Ss that might be in the range of a Model 3 buyer, but not so much with the used Model Xs.

Since the OP is not a Tesla employee or Tesla owner, he will not be getting one of the first vehicles off the line anyways. I would suggest waiting until the final reveal and some reviews are posted regarding car seats in Model 3. Then he will be able to make an informed decision on which vehicle to purchase.

Reactions: sigmo32
Wow, thank you for all the input everyone. As a first-time poster I wasn't sure my question would get much response. Thanks for all the answers and for proving to me what a helpful forum this is. I think my plan for now will be to try to patiently wait until the 3 is released and more detailed first-hand reviews are available, as some of you recommended.

It is supposed to fit three adults so it should be able to fit three car seats, they might need to be slimmer ones, but they should all still fit. The real question is if you really want three children, all in the backseat, within touching distance of each other :D

I'd say if you can splurge for a Model S, make it a Model X instead. If I had more than two kids, I'd want much more than a single back seat. Heck, if I could splurge I'd go buy a Model X right now, just so that we could have more room for the dogs. Currently they sit on the kids' laps in the back. The 6 seat config in the X is awesome.

If the M3 is going to be your only people mover, you might want to consider something else. You will probably be able to wedge three seats back there but it'll be a tight fit (width) and every seat manufacturer is slightly different in dimensions.

If you can get past the stigma of owning a minivan, you might want to look at Chrysler's Pacifica Hybrid. There is even a full electric one coming out in the near future. Seriously, nothing beats a minivan for the needs of a large family.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mobius484
It is supposed to fit three adults so it should be able to fit three car seats, they might need to be slimmer ones, but they should all still fit.
Since you always have to use the seatbelts for three instead of Latch/ISOFIX it's really dependent on seatbelt design. The Lexus NX is one example, from what I've read it's more or less impossible to install three seats.

If the M3 is going to be your only people mover, you might want to consider something else. You will probably be able to wedge three seats back there but it'll be a tight fit (width) and every seat manufacturer is slightly different in dimensions.

If you can get past the stigma of owning a minivan, you might want to look at Chrysler's Pacifica Hybrid. There is even a full electric one coming out in the near future. Seriously, nothing beats a minivan for the needs of a large family.

This would be my wife's commuting vehicle, so the kids would only suffer in the back for short stretches on infrequent occasions. I have a 7 seat SUV. I agree, no matter what vehicle you have if it's always three across it's a tight fit for the kids. If you want to drive any distance it's great to have a third row.

We only have two kids, but when they were younger I would often sit in the back to try and mitigate "issues", especially on longer trips. Really liked the narrow width of the Sunshine Radian car seats for that reason. As an added bonus, the one we bought had excellent max height and weight limits, so my daughter was able to use hers for the full 8 years before it expired.

We have one 16 month-old and plan to have another kid in a few years. The Model 3 will be our only people mover (other than bicycles). and will be replacing our '14 Acura ILX. Our car seat (Nuna Rava) is positioned in the middle of the back seat. This set up has worked just fine for us thus far, but the ILX has always been a bit cramped in general so looking forward to what should be a more spacious 3.

The thought of owning multiple cars, and especially a minivan, terrifies me lol.

Jsanford, I was one of four and the six of us in a 1980 Volvo, summer trips from Texas, to coloroado or Minnesota. We all turned out fine. My 3 ride great in the back of my S, and when the three gets here, I suspect they will fit in back of 3, I have a Diono radian for my youngest, it's pretty slim, think for around town all three should be able to do fine back there, might be tight for road trips.... you can install imaginary lines between them.... "dad, Sophie's breathing on me.....". It breeds good social skills....

Reactions: melindav
"imaginary lines" :cool: Use cardboard (corrugated fibreboard) :)
http://www.today.com/parents/drivin...-triplets-has-genius-fix-backseat-t103582http:
car-divider-dad-today-161005_2b5ccafa802c206c9a21bcb752701cce.today-inline-large.jpg

Last edited: