Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 day old import P85D crashed while using TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting about the lack of information from a DS for this unfortunate guy - I got a loaner with TACC recently (my car is a "sensorless" classic S) and was playing with it. I made a similar assumption to the OP that it would work reliably in stop and go traffic, but once it was slow to recognize traffic stopped and the collision avoidance system kicked in - fortunately I was able to stop, but I think it would be a good idea to educate new loaner drivers about this issue.

You are right on that and thanks everyone for their supportive attitude in that regards. After all they probably impacted with the car in front of them fairly fast (around 50-60kph) and things could've gone much worse if they weren't in a Tesla. I too am glad they are all O.K.

But then again reading you are a stock manipulator when in maybe one of your darkest moments doesn't feel very good. (that's just one example) I'm not saying "everyone" was bashing and all generalisations are wrong. I just wanted to share how I felt.

Can you report the posts saying you were trying to tank the stock?

Interesting about the lack of information from a DS for this unfortunate guy - I got a loaner with TACC recently (my car is a "sensorless" classic S) and was playing with it. I made a similar assumption to the OP that it would work reliably in stop and go traffic, but once it was slow to recognize traffic stopped and the collision avoidance system kicked in - fortunately I was able to stop, but I think it would be a good idea to educate new loaner drivers about this issue.
My friend was rear ended and after many years still have spine problem. I am somehow surprised that Tesla did not disable this "expert" level, and not really ready for general public future, as demonstrated in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X2ftEXG7IE . Watching all the pain that my friend is still experiencing, I wish manufacturers do not play with my safety. I only wish that new future is implemented once is ready for general public, and safe for all.

Hey in a world where you can sue Mcd's and win for coffee being too hot, go for it. I don't think you have a case, you'd probably have to sue them in the US too which will be even more costly I'm sure.

Yes and as others have said don't lead with "I'm going to sue you"

Ah, yes, the most misunderstood lawsuit in history comes up again....

I really, really wish people would watch "Hot Coffee" and get a clue about what the McD's coffee case was really about.

For now, these might suffice?

https://www.caoc.org/index.cfm?pg=facts

HOT COFFEE, a documentary feature film

Thx.

What DS? This was an import through a third party.

- - - Updated - - -

My friend was rear ended and after many years still have spine problem. I am somehow surprised that Tesla did not disable this "expert" level, and not really ready for general public future, as demonstrated in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X2ftEXG7IE . Watching all the pain that my friend is still experiencing, I wish manufacturers do not play with my safety. I only wish that new future is implemented once is ready for general public, and safe for all.

Nonsense.

Sorry to hear about your friend but was it due to Tesla's TACC? TACC is fancy cruise control, not autopilot (even on autopilot you are responsible for what happens). So what is the issue?

The Autopilot software is not yet released, only the TACC feature which is being discussed in this thread. Autopilot is expected to be released this year. The necessary hardware is present in all cars built since late September 2013.

From the Tesla website:

Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates. The current software version is 6.2, adding automatic emergency braking and blind spot warning.

Some posters are suggesting that even without the TACC functioning that automatic emergency braking should have mitigated the situation.

Larry

Last edited:
Nonsense.
I am not sure what you call nonsense;
that lady was shock that Tesla P85D did not stop as she expected to, and guy commented that the car did not want to stop https://youtu.be/0X2ftEXG7IE ,
many people die after being rear ended,
it is car manufacturers responsibility to assure that cars are safe to operate and do not kill innocent people by testing and retesting till completely sure it is safe for everybody that is using the road,
we need car futures that confuse people?

Isn't automatic emergency breaking meant to reduce speed in accident and not avoid it?

My remarks said nothing about avoiding an accident. I used the wording mitigated. I was merely making the point that other Autopilot features beside TACC were being discussed by other in this thread in response to the remark, "The Autopilot software is not yet released, only the TACC feature which is being discussed in this thread."

Larry

that lady was shock that Tesla P85D did not stop as she expected to, and guy commented that the car did not want to stop https://youtu.be/0X2ftEXG7IE ,
it is car manufacturers responsibility to assure that cars are safe to operate and do not kill innocent people by testing and retesting till completely sure it is safe for everybody that is using the road,

There is a huge difference between a vehicle not operating as designed, and someone not operating the vehicle as designed. The latter is the case here, and in your examples.

The person in question was using CRUISE CONTROL on surface streets with cross traffic and lights. If you choose to operate a vehicle outside its designed and intended use, that's 100% on you. No different than deciding not to wear a seatbelt, or failing to maintain your brakes. What people seem to be doing is treating 4000 pound killing machines as toys and that's the problem.

There is a huge difference between a vehicle not operating as designed, and someone not operating the vehicle as designed. The latter is the case here, and in your examples.
I still think is confusing based on this Collision Avoidance Demonstration starting at 2:45. I assume this person know what is saying and in his case car stopped in city driving. To me it seems that sometime will work sometimes may not.
<font size="2">

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think is confusing based on this Collision Avoidance Demonstration starting at 2:45. I assume this person know what is saying and in his case car stopped in city driving. To me it seems that sometime will work sometimes may not.
<font size="2">

As I understand it collision avoidance is merely a warning to you, not an action the car takes at this point. This is different from emergency braking, which will only fire if the car thinks an accident is close to unavoidable and is not intended to avoid a collision, merely mitigate the impact.

Read the fine manual, none of this is confusing. And for God's sake, if you *are* confused, don't use features you don't understand!

Last edited by a moderator:
My remarks said nothing about avoiding an accident. I used the wording mitigated. I was merely making the point that other Autopilot features beside TACC were being discussed by other in this thread in response to the remark, "The Autopilot software is not yet released, only the TACC feature which is being discussed in this thread."

Larry

Got it. Just wanted to double check as that's how I thought the feature worked.

As I understand it collision avoidance is merely a warning to you, not an action the car takes at this point. This is different from emergency braking, which will only fire if the car thinks an accident is close to unavoidable and is not intended to avoid a collision, merely mitigate the impact.

Read the fine manual, none of this is confusing. And for God's sake, if you *are* confused, don't use features you don't understand!
As demonstrated in 2 videos and other reports it is confusing to Tesla drivers.

The only cause of this accident is the OP not paying attention. I know the big screen can be distracting, and that's especially so when you first get the car. I find it disturbing that the OP posted pictures taken from the driver's seat while the vehicle was in motion. That makes the accident the next day, according to the pictures, not surprising at all. I had to tell myself not to use the screen when driving except when necessary: to defrost, change a song, and such, but that's about it.

This should be a lesson to everyone new who is getting this car. Sit in your driveway and play with everything but don't do so while driving, don't take pictures while driving and keep your eyes on the road. If you don't do that and have an accident, don't try saying that you expected the car to prevent that. It just makes you look bad.

I feel sorry for the person the OP hit. I hope everyone in that vehicle is okay, as with the OP and his occupants.